News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

What's that trick called...

Started by John, 03 August, 2011, 17:14:47

Previous topic - Next topic

azleonhart

Good day, gents.

I'm trying to:
that.
a. Figure out what the trick is that?
At 3:28, Turner does a Stuntplane, and the rest is history. Iji also does this in (albeit, with more flair)

b. Learn it. I like the way the trick looks, and how it fits with what i enjoy tricking. If anyone has mastered this and could provide a video tutorial, i would hugely appreciate it.
What the trick?

The Void

I'd call it a penguin throw to aeroplane.
I currently have a cat sat on me, but I would start with seeing how far you can get while thinking about giving height with both the knees and the hand. Watch the body movement carefully....
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

azleonhart

@Void,

I have been trying for some time now (1 month or so), and i'm still stuck on "penguin throwing" the ken from the back.
I'm able to release it, but not gain enough height and rotation. Any attempts to increase height will somewhat get the ken stuck.

Currently doing my best to figure out how to push out the ken.
What the trick?

Trace3k

The Void

Don't know about the whole sequence, but there are some Half Centrifuges in there.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

Trace3k

Half centrifuge, that's what I was looking for. Yesterday I landed a hc to big cup, hc to big cup, hc to base cup. I don't know how to end it though, I wanted to do more.

Thanks for your help. :)

The Void

Trace3k

Thanks, I'll try that. Was that Buck 65 playing? Love that guy. I want to use Wicked and Weird for my first edit.

The Void

Sure was a little JC on the ol' tape deck...

Trace3k

shalafi

As a lack of better naming, I am calling this pinwheeled suns.

Note that there is no pinch to the string, the string makes one turn around the index and gets unwrapped in the internal "sun".

I called it "sun" because of the similar looking trick of Diabolo.
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

BKA

You don't do the actual Swirl, so it's not a Swirl.

Let's break down the first combi:

Swing... into a Finger Wrap...
...into Inside Pinwheel
...into Stopover

So,...
"Finger Wrap Inside Pinwheel Stopover"

We haven't yet used "Suns" in kendama, and in this case we don't need a new term, as we already have Pinwheel, which covers it precisely in this case.

shalafi

I mentioned the wrap as being the same of the swirl entry, not that I was doing a swirl (but you can connect one afterwards)

As I see it, there are 2 "circles" the wrap, and then the internal pinwheel, which, to me, look like the wrap and the unwrap. And then you can do continuously. The stopover was optional, just an exit to switch direction.

Also, you can do this same trick without the wrap/unwrap by pinching the string instead. They are almost the same visually but quite different in execution.

Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

MisterJumpshoe

I've just realised I don't know what it's called when you pull up and land the tama on the side of one of the cups.  I know it's a wing walker if you transfer from one to the other, but what's the single called?  A wing?
Music Has the Right to Children

BKA

You're getting confused with Wingrunner (the transfer version). Wingwalker it is.