News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Kendama Consistency Challenge #31: There be Pirates

Started by shalafi, 06 January, 2015, 13:52:40

Previous topic - Next topic

shalafi

All hands hoay! This is Kendama Consistency Challenge #31: There be Pirates.

This ladder is to be performed one-eyed. To your confort (and to get in character) you can wear a patch instead of cover your eye with your hand.

Other complements to get into character like pirate flags, hats, parrots or holding knifes between the teeth are appreciated, but by no means mandatory.

The "real pirate" is not only one-eyed, but also one-legged. So, if someone completes the ladder one eyed, there will be a period of 48 hours during which another Pirate can do it one-eyed and one-legged. Again, for confort, you can rest your leg on a chair, although a wooden leg is much cooler.

Of course you can go for one-eye, one-leg straight away.

No string adjustments during each of the tricks are allowed.

So, for the tricks, I think you'd spot the theme.

1. Lighthouse (every pirate ship needs one every now and then)
2. Captain hook
3. Arrrround the Village
4. Arrrround the Prefecture
5. Arrrround Japan
6. Arrrround The World
7. Arrrround Europe
8. Arrrround the Cosmos
9. Arrrround the USA
10. Arrrround Turnbridge Wells <- Just kidding here.

Booty: The winner will get a small green tiger kendama (stringed for left handed) with a replacement string and a 3D printed tama (very light, not too slippery).

Good luck everyone.
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

shalafi

The Void

If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

shalafi

Quote from: The Void on 01 February, 2015, 14:59:11
Depth perception is under-rated!
I can easily get this done in <30 minutes of filming, probably a lot sooner :)

Dadooh

shalafi

It's from tama grip, pull up to hold the ken with the base cup on your index finger, then in. I believe it's a Donald invention.

I'll make a video later on to show it.

Dimensions

Shameless Self-Promotion:
http://www.youtube.com/user/escapees6

The Void

I think there's quite a big clue here:
Quote from: shalafi on 01 February, 2015, 17:25:13It's from tama grip, pull up to hold the ken with the base cup on your index finger
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

shalafi

Dadooh

Is that OK? 

[Mod edit: changed https to http , to make the embed work.]

shalafi

I'm sorry, but going to be picky here and say no. Actually I should have said "no string adjustments" but I thought it was obvious. Is it ok to wave the kendama to get the string out, but not to do the adjustment with the other hand.

Also, it is nicer to see the ladder without any miss, that goes for the failed but unrequested lighthouse somersault.

That being said, I love the Hat + Patch, and I'm sure you can do it again.

Dadooh

OK no problem but I don't think I'll try it again because One-eye based tricks are not really fun imo and I'm working on my 6th edit right now. But I wanted to try for a couple minutes because I look cool with a boxer on my head  ;D

shalafi

Quote from: Dadooh on 02 February, 2015, 14:55:08
OK no problem but I don't think I'll try it again because One-eye based tricks are not really fun imo and I'm working on my 6th edit right now.

If you have some more time, please try again. I tried to make it not too hard so more people wanted to try it out.

Quote from: Dadooh on 02 February, 2015, 14:55:08
But I wanted to try for a couple minutes because I look cool with a boxer on my head  ;D

That indeed you do :)

The Void

I tried yesterday (cold outside, and breezy) and today (inside.... no excuses) for a little while. I find it pretty hard 1-eyed. My best run so far is to #3. I'm impressed by both [user]Dadooh[/user]'s run and [user]shalafi[/user]'s general play if this is what it's like for him all the time!

Dadooh

Honestly it took me 10 minutes to get it and I think I could do it again without trying too hard but since I actually failed, I'll let people a chance to get it. If nobody does, in a few weeks, I'll do it again  ;)