News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

The ever popular "Today I..." thread

Started by BatDancer, 04 July, 2011, 21:24:24

Previous topic - Next topic

BKA

Quote from: AlexSmith on 10 February, 2012, 03:34:11
Quote from: FilthyTown on 08 February, 2012, 23:39:01I was able to get a few slip grip stalls today...it feels so good to finally get them.
I've honestly never done many slip stalls... I mostly just go for the grip stalls instead. Always felt more comfy with them.
Uh.... what? Unless you mean the first one in Secret Grip and the second one in Ken Grip (which is called Backhand Slip Grip Special[nb]#73 on http://www.kendama.co.uk/100tricks.html[/nb])?

FilthyTown

I realize my trick vocabulary is probably not very accurate, working on learning the official trick names/combos.

The first one I learned was using ken grip and stalling the ball on the ring around the edge of the bottom cup, I also was able to hop the ball from that position a few times and stall the second more rounded ring.
The first trick in this video shows what I am trying to describe.

Yesterday however I learned them using the special grip, which so far is one of the hardest tricks I've been able to get.

BKA

That first trick we would call "Backhand Clifftop to Backhand Slip Grip Special[nb]or "....Slip Stop" or "...Slip Grip" for short.[/nb]". Wasn't really confused by your comments, Filthy, it's Alex's seemingly splitting the trick name into two halves that's foxed us.

SamB

Today I managed my first 2-turn aeroplane, very satisfying. Apparently I've just never tried them before.
Also did a full run of the BKO advanced ladder and reaslised, neither pinkie poke nor swing to pinkie are in the app, with gunslinger spike its better to gunslinger as late as possible and my lunars are really inconsistent.
BKO 2011 - 2nd, SRC 2011 - 2nd,  SRC 2012 - 2nd, EJC 2012 (unicorns) - 2nd, SRC 2013 - 2nd, BKO 2013 - 3rd - Always the bridesmaid...

BKA

Quote from: SamB on 10 February, 2012, 14:52:00
Today I managed my first 2-turn aeroplane, very satisfying. Apparently I've just never tried them before.
Well done!
Quote from: SamB on 10 February, 2012, 14:52:00Also did a full run of the BKO advanced ladder and reaslised, neither pinkie poke nor swing to pinkie are in the app,
Nope, but it's in the BKO2012Advanced video, and I suspect your Android device will be able to play the "iPod" version that you can download from JTV...?
Quote from: SamB on 10 February, 2012, 14:52:00with gunslinger spike its better to gunslinger as late as possible and my lunars are really inconsistent.
Better to realise these things sooner rather than later. Daily practise is what the kendama doctor prescribes!

SamB

Quote from: BKA on 10 February, 2012, 15:01:26
Nope, but it's in the BKO2012Advanced video, and I suspect your Android device will be able to play the "iPod" version that you can download from JTV...?

I meant that you cannot add tricks to a custom ladder unless they are in the app so I can't add swing to pinky to the ladder I made for BKO advanced 2012, and as such I always forget to practice it (although now I've typed about it I doubt I'll forget again).
And daily practice is making a massive difference but I have got a small case of "kendama back" [nb]An ache in the lower back, named like tennis elbow or swimmer's ear, sometimes comes coupled with "kendama thigh" a.k.a. "snowboarder's thigh" a.k.a. "it's-like-I-never-did-squats-before ache"[/nb]
BKO 2011 - 2nd, SRC 2011 - 2nd,  SRC 2012 - 2nd, EJC 2012 (unicorns) - 2nd, SRC 2013 - 2nd, BKO 2013 - 3rd - Always the bridesmaid...

Peter

... tried the 2-Dan Tricklist once again. After getting all the tricks done in the requested number of catches, I finally ended with 210 Moshis, which is *agrmblf* !!!

Next time!

BKA

Quote from: SamB on 10 February, 2012, 16:12:21I meant that you cannot add tricks to a custom ladder unless they are in the app..
Ah, yes. A known issue, and one we are looking at for future updates.
Sorry about your back. Remember to stretch up straight between tricks!

The Void

I feel your pain, Peter. I have done all the compulsories for 4th Dan several times, only to be undone by Speed B and/or Moshi Kame. Stick at it!
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

Peter

Pain! That is all about it, isn't it? Void, I will definitely stick to it. I promised myself to play my Mugen only after I achieved 3-Dan Level. It is still unplayed...

AlexSmith

Quote from: BKA on 10 February, 2012, 12:04:35
Quote from: AlexSmith on 10 February, 2012, 03:34:11
Quote from: FilthyTown on 08 February, 2012, 23:39:01I was able to get a few slip grip stalls today...it feels so good to finally get them.
I've honestly never done many slip stalls... I mostly just go for the grip stalls instead. Always felt more comfy with them.
Uh.... what? Unless you mean the first one in Secret Grip and the second one in Ken Grip (which is called Backhand Slip Grip Special[nb]#73 on http://www.kendama.co.uk/100tricks.html[/nb])?
Definitely misread that the first time.. whoops
Around here we call stalling on the slip-stop a slip stall, and stall on the ring right around bottom cup a 'grip stall'

Dadooh

Today i landed my first lunar flip. I dreamed of this trick since i started playing kendama wondering if i could do it one day. Now it's done! Pretty good feeling :D

FilthyTown

Quote from: Dadooh on 12 February, 2012, 07:15:16
Today i landed my first lunar flip. I dreamed of this trick since i started playing kendama wondering if i could do it one day. Now it's done! Pretty good feeling :D

MAJOR PROPS man!

steffibearpaw

Today I finally reached to edit my new Video with some new tricks... after a computercrash and some problems with new Windows 7 ((
I'm happy to improve myself and very motivated  :)

Enjoy!

FilthyTown

Quote from: steffibearpaw on 13 February, 2012, 11:21:53
Today I finally reached to edit my new Video with some new tricks... after a computercrash and some problems with new Windows 7 ((
I'm happy to improve myself and very motivated

Very nice, I enjoyed the bat(such a cool looking trick)...I just ordered a yellow ozora and keyaki.  Should be here today or tomorrow I hope.