News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Grain Theory

Started by HansNickmans, 09 December, 2013, 08:46:24

Previous topic - Next topic

HansNickmans

Didn't see this on the forum anywhere. Looks like a great project. I'm very curious about these damas.
And now, after replaceable tips, we get the wormhole and the swoop. Discuss :-)

Kendama Belgium!

The Void

The swoop is a throwback to the 70's designs. I can't see that it will hurt play, but it makes sense for losing a bit of weight from the base cup end, to improve Moon Landing balance.

The wormhole on the other hand seems like a bad idea to me. Its stated purpose of making multi-turn tricks easier seems extremely counter-intuitive. I would expect it to do exactly the opposite, with the spike or big cup edge hitting the string during turns. Perhaps not, but I'm extremely doubtful.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

HansNickmans

I was doubtful about the wormhole as well, but it seems to be so stable in the video. Although I have read that Matt strings his one normally, so maybe it's not that big an innovation.

I would simply like to get one to support the great initiative these people are taking and the collaborations in woodwork, strings and paint. And I like some fancy woodwork as well :)

This would however mean that I would let the Sakura pearl Mugen pass...
Kendama Belgium!

RodDama

ive played a couple of them.. the wormhole is actually pretty col... ive only ever dont one 3 turn airplane, and it was witgh a GT.. its a little weird for some tricks.. but theyre great! and yea you can always string it normally if you really dont like it!
-RodDama!

www.terrakendama.com

Kendama+cliniK

I like the effort towards innovation. I feel like that is more or less the purpose of Grain Theory. Trial and error, small batches of possible good ideas for people to test and try. In the end making a massive compilation of different information which can be used in a "final product" or others to come. The wormhole aspect does seem a little "in the way" of cups and spike. However, the line up for  tama based tricks could prove to help some. Personally I'd like to give it a shot. The swoop is a great thing to bring back. It gives your kendama curves and weight distribution would be better. But what about the slip grips/ Handle stalls? Could that effect those as well?
Kendama+cliniK

KendAlex

the kendama itself is a great example of somthing new , and i mean the ring to the basesup part,
i have 2 sort of kens the same style (the PAW full spectrum and the 3 spike)

about the wormhole , i tried it out, (drilled a hole in a ozora ken exactly like that) and indeed the swing up lunars and the airplanes are great and pretty solid,
ofcourse it is me to test some other tricks with that system and my conclusion is this,
swing up one turn UFO, out of control, not turning like i want it
spacewalk is nice, as long as the ken is straight in line with the string to tama.
hanging trics is not nice, the ken turns of when pull up,

for the rest i did not tried more tricks, yet,
i bought one to test it in total, and see what extra is should give.
after the test i'm sure i would restring it like a normal JKA way, like all kendamas actualy should be like

I'm happy there are classic holes in the sorado in it too,
i can't wait till i do a swing double earthturn slip stop special with the GT-1

so great to see the KenGarden and Deal with it and the brother of Jake,  Eric Wiens and Sourmash combine the powers.
pretty stoked on this

they also comes with 5 Spectrums in difference colors , outrage

peace

Rat Mice

The wormhole is a fun option to try and can help beginners learn certain things. also its an option that doesn't hinder normal play if you string it normally. so its kind of a win, win in that sense. you can try something new without compromising normal play.  i have most of mine strung normally just because i prefer it that way and im kind of a purist. my favorite thing about our dama is the swoop, it takes away wood, helping with lunar balance without putting a giant hole in the bottom cup. also giving what we believe to be great look.

As far as slip grip/handle stall tricks we took that into consideration and we have been able to do all the normal handle stall tricks we could do before with no problem. we made sure not to take away too much wood so as to make those types of tricks harder.

hope you guys can pick one up to jam.  i guarantee you if you string it normal. that wormhole wont get in your way  ;)

KendAlex

here a video to prove that the pull up UFO could be done,

thanks Jake, i going to test it in full again, to see and feel the difference.

i never walked away for a challanges, and i'm sure i continue the Full Test on the GT-1.
gonna be fun
stay tuned

PS. i never wanted to diss the the new theory, i just saying that is is hard for me to understand why there must be something made difference, if the classic with the technic is already perfect, and if you can you nail every hard trick with just the classic.

if people have seen my kendama USA Cherry wood test on youtube, you see that i pull up a double turn lighthouse with a Kendama USA ken, super straight, i try to say that difference needs a other vision on technic to get the straight solid trick done,

i'm looking forward to test it, and i'm happy that GT is made by a group of people that i like a lot,.
keep them comming bro's