News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

What do you call this trick technique?

Started by Winter Solstice Kendama, 19 March, 2012, 17:12:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Winter Solstice Kendama

Okay, weird because this isn't something I've seen many other players do, but I wanted to see if there was a name for this trick.

Anyways, the sequence is as follows:

Airplane, flip to lighthouse, let the ken fall towards you gliding along the surface of the tama, as it falls you snatch it with your thumb and ring/pinky and squeeze it while turning your wrist a little. The bottom of the ken stays in contact the whole time. Then as you rotate you pinch the ken like you're trying to squeeze a candy out of a wrapper and it flows up back to lighthouse. If you pinch a tad harder it flips the ken and you can flip to airplane from under neath...

What is this called? It sort of looks like a cheaters version of Jeff Van Rasta's antigravity lighthouse and lunar tricks in the PINK! edit except you catch the ken and slite-of-hand it...

If my description isn't keen, I'll see if I can't post some video later of the trick. Thanks everyone!

-Curtis

AlexSmith

That sounds pretty cool, I'd be surprised if it had a legitimate name. At that level of intricacy I don't even bother naming tricks, beyond describing terms anyways (lighthouse thumb pinch? or something like that?). This is especially true in situations where different players will perform a trick slightly differently, bringing their own style to it. Tricks like bird, around the world, lighthouse, etc, can and should be named, but when you start getting really techy things break down. If someone watches you do this trick in an edit, then tries it themselves, but does it a little different, then is it still the same trick? Does it deserve the same name? What if they have the ken slide around the ball in a different direction than you did? There's just so many variables, and that's why kendama is fun.

I mean, what it boils down to is the fact that everyone will do tricks a little differently, thats where individual style comes in. It's a lot more fun to watch something a little unique and unorthodox than it is to watch robot players do technically perfect lighthouse flips.

Just my two cents, I'm sure other people will feel differently.

The Void

Quote from: AlexSmith on 19 March, 2012, 18:21:45That sounds pretty cool, I'd be surprised if it had a legitimate name.
I feel completely the same!
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

Winter Solstice Kendama

Quote from: AlexSmith on 19 March, 2012, 18:21:45
That sounds pretty cool, I'd be surprised if it had a legitimate name. At that level of intricacy I don't even bother naming tricks, beyond describing terms anyways (lighthouse thumb pinch? or something like that?). This is especially true in situations where different players will perform a trick slightly differently, bringing their own style to it. Tricks like bird, around the world, lighthouse, etc, can and should be named, but when you start getting really techy things break down. If someone watches you do this trick in an edit, then tries it themselves, but does it a little different, then is it still the same trick? Does it deserve the same name? What if they have the ken slide around the ball in a different direction than you did? There's just so many variables, and that's why kendama is fun.

I mean, what it boils down to is the fact that everyone will do tricks a little differently, thats where individual style comes in. It's a lot more fun to watch something a little unique and unorthodox than it is to watch robot players do technically perfect lighthouse flips.

Thanks Alex!

I mostly just wanted to see if it was something people were doing a bit of. Today I managed to get it to pop out to lunar, then did the same pressure pinch thing from lunar out, flipping it to airplane in. I can't wait to film it, so cool!

Technique is a widely varied thing. RodDAMA and I can accomplish similar tricks, but learning another guys form can be kind of hard but also very rewarding IMHO. I like that it's so widely varied yet also easy enough to break down like a workout routine for others if they want to learn how you do it. I think I might break this one down and see if there is anything more I could be doing with this trick as I move forward with it and report back.

-Curtis

AlexSmith

Quote from: Winter Solstice Kendama on 19 March, 2012, 19:34:28
RodDAMA and I can accomplish similar tricks, but learning another guys form can be kind of hard but also very rewarding IMHO.

Trying to learn Rod's tricks always leaves me scratching my head. I'm yet to hit the stabbing heaven -> earth turn finger flip -> stabbing heaven that he has down almost every try. Honestly...

Winter Solstice Kendama

He is so fast, his eyes are effing tight man, he's always right on target too. It kills me. If he starts learning other peoples technique and form he'll be unstoppable ha ha!

-Curtis