News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

The ever popular "Today I..." thread

Started by BatDancer, 04 July, 2011, 21:24:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Salvator-vals

Today I  do lunar-> flip to lighthouse-> trade spike. May be this is hardest trick I do ever. Another funny combo: swing to small finger -> earth turn to spike.

axel.aas.12

I got my new kendama and I landed my First underbird! I decided to try underbird and i got it my first try! My mom and her friend clapped for me :D
Working on lunar flips.

Wu Tang Forever!

The Void

Nice one guys.
Rob, I think it turns out that Speed Trick K is changeable - it was different at the last TKG!

In the last few days, I've gone back to my old white Mugen from my new sky one. And my birds have improved a fair bit. So now my dilemma is whether to stick with the older, quite battered one, or try and accelerate the wearing-in of my new one. Probably some combination of the two....
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

The Void

Today I did an interview for someone's dissertation. It focussed on the cultural differences in kendama between Japan and the West, and its links to sport and juggling. I think/hope I gave a good general overview. :)
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

Kev

Today I realised two things . . .

1) The thing that's by far the most likely to scupper my chances of making it on to the Dan table this year is *drum roll* . . . Moshi Kame.

I can now comfortably land the required tricks the required number of times for 1st Dan most of the time (and even for 2nd Dan some of the time), but the Moshi's are almost a lottery. Yes, I do get up there sometimes but most of the time I don't. It's so erratic. Sometimes I can do a few hundred catches and yet there are many more times when I drop under 100, even under 10 on occasion.

Practice? Yes, of course it helps but not enough (yet?). To add injury to insult, I hurt my wrist a couple of weeks back while at work and it's still not quite right (so I guess rest is best now). If I'm ever lucky enough to manage to make it up to a high Dan grade I look forward to retiring from Moshi Kame afterwards!

and,

2) The ever popular "Today I ..." thread is often about more than just tricks, (I suspect it has evolved into something beyond its original scope?) It seems to me it might be more appropriate as a sticky in 'General Discussion' - what do you think?

BKA

1) Get well and good luck!
2) You may have a point, but after 1000+ replies, it's probably safe to say it's found its place. (Plus, there are enough stickies in General already.)

Kev

happygoat

Quote from: Kev on 05 March, 2014, 20:15:09
Today I realised two things . . .

1) The thing that's by far the most likely to scupper my chances of making it on to the Dan table this year is *drum roll* . . . Moshi Kame.

I can now comfortably land the required tricks the required number of times for 1st Dan most of the time (and even for 2nd Dan some of the time), but the Moshi's are almost a lottery. Yes, I do get up there sometimes but most of the time I don't. It's so erratic. Sometimes I can do a few hundred catches and yet there are many more times when I drop under 100, even under 10 on occasion.

Practice? Yes, of course it helps but not enough (yet?).

Haha, some difficulties here...Moshi Kame kills me...I have no problem doing the tricks in 1st Dan, and can more often than not do the tricks in 2nd Dan, but doing 300 catches in moshi kame in one try....arghhhh!! And I hate practicing it  :o

Today I landed a couple of 1-turn lunars...weee...feels soooo nice to finally land that trick!

Cliffdama

I finally landed a decent combo today at the first beach day!

The Void

Nice ones, happy & Cliff.

Today I looked at a kendama. Which is more than I've done since Friday. Had a mild fever over the weekend, which has now decided to turn into a snotty cold. Far from ideal for my practice regime. :-/

swaydama

finally landed LUNAR!! took me a while but finally hit it
Dama since Oct. 2013
Dancer at heart

BKA

First Lunar? Always worth a
HI-FIVE!

The Void

Today I did my first kendama playing for a week[nb]Apart from filming Outlink 5, which nearly killed me![/nb]. (I've been ill.) A gentle warm up and then into the usual practice. Got past Bird, but fell at quite a few other hurdles. The legs haven't quite recovered yet, obviously....

LarsVegas

Quote from: The Void on 15 March, 2014, 20:30:02
Today I did my first kendama playing for a week[nb]Apart from filming Outlink 5, which nearly killed me![/nb]. (I've been ill.) A gentle warm up and then into the usual practice. Got past Bird, but fell at quite a few other hurdles. The legs haven't quite recovered yet, obviously....

I'm really glad that you're fine again. But it's no wonder you got ill: If you include tricks in Outlink that can (almost) only be practiced outdoors at these temperatures, illness is almost guaranteed.

But to be on-topic: Today I didn't play at all. I'm still mentally exhausted from yesterday's Outlink session ...
EKO 2012 - European Beginner Champion

The Void

Just enough sun, and just little-enough breeze for me to have my first outdoor practice of the year today. I got through Bird again, which was pleasing, but I was annoyed to then fail Hanging Spike by one. I was much more annoyed a little while later when it turned out to have been the only trick I failed. But overall that's a plus.