News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

The ever popular "Today I..." thread

Started by BatDancer, 04 July, 2011, 21:24:24

Previous topic - Next topic

johndmc

Quote from: Kev on 31 January, 2014, 12:09:26
Good stuff! Great feeling  :)

It really is, better than the first aeroplane! I cant wait till im able to land lunars, they just look so cool.

Im still struggling with the Swing in, i know its similar to aeroplane but i havent figured the knack and timing of the pull back properly yet.
Dont practice what you can do, practice what you can't! :)

Kev

Swing In can be rather awkward, it's the trick I'm most inconsistent with out of the beginners list.

On a good day, a sharp tug backwards / horizontal with the elbow seems to pop it in to place for me. A good starting position is vital IMHO too. With Aeroplane it seems like there's a little more you can do to catch it if the launch wasn't perfect - not so much for Swing In (for me at least).

And it (should) go without saying, but - use your knees! Really helps to get a smooth movement and the timing of the backwards tug is about the moment you start to straighten your legs.

Good luck!

emagdnim

Today I had a good Run.

Looked on facebook to high beginner and low intermediate tricks.
Wrote 15 of them down. Than I set 5 diffrent kendama's next to me.

Started trick one with kendama #1 try-ed it for five times, and on to the next kendama.
Or if I land it within five try's I went on to the next trick with a new ken.

Played all the kens lots of times and landed a lot of (new) tricks.

List of Kens
- Beat up Yellow Oozora
- brand new Yellow Oozora
- OG Red Oozora
- Premium white Oozora
- Brand new tk16 Master Red

shalafi

Quote from: johndmc on 31 January, 2014, 13:47:51

It really is, better than the first aeroplane! I cant wait till im able to land lunars, they just look so cool.

Im still struggling with the Swing in, i know its similar to aeroplane but i havent figured the knack and timing of the pull back properly yet.

To me, doing swing-in the japanese style helped a lot with the consistency.

That is, without holding the tama, you have to focus a lot more on the impulse you give and how you give it.

And yes, I think all of us remember our first lunar :)
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

johndmc

Quote from: shalafi on 02 February, 2014, 18:49:11

That is, without holding the tama, you have to focus a lot more on the impulse you give and how you give it.

I'll check out the japanese style for sure, think i might try and get more proficiency with my current method first though. Thanks for the help
Dont practice what you can do, practice what you can't! :)

LarsVegas

Quote from: johndmc on 03 February, 2014, 12:10:46
Quote from: shalafi on 02 February, 2014, 18:49:11

I'll check out the japanese style for sure, think i might try and get more proficiency with my current method first though. Thanks for the help
Funny, I always found swing-in from free hanging to be easier. I so struggled with a held Kendama at first (and still do a little bit).
EKO 2012 - European Beginner Champion

shalafi

@LarsVegas I think it depends on the person, to me it was easier, but to many people I know, it was harder.

Kev

Today I learnt some tricks I've not tried before:

- Around the Triangle.
- Bat.
- Captain Hook.
- Faster Than Fast Hand Base Cup.
- Munich Tower.

Plus some kind of odd "Around the (anti)Clock" style move: Right hand Sara Grip all the way through Big Cup > Base Cup > Small Cup > Spike with my hand always rotating anti clockwise so you end up kinda twisted up.

:)

The Void

I managed to get in 30 runs of 6 Dan practice in January, and not pass once. 6 or 7 of them were fails by only one miss of one trick though, so close. Last night I began a run at the juggling club, but it was poor lighting, so I gave up half-way through. Finished it off this morning, and it was terrible. Then I got something in the post, which cheered me up, so I had another go. And I passed. First time for almost 2 months.
Quote from: Kev on 25 January, 2014, 09:10:33
Well all I can say is that usually after a rough patch with anything a good patch follows. To reverse an idiom, maybe this is the 'storm before the calm'?
Well, don't think I'm in calm waters yet, but the ship isn't sunk, at least. ;) Hmm, interesting that I'd not had a coffee before that run either....

Well done [user]emagdnim[/user], a nice way to get all your KDs seeing some regular use.
Nice, [user]Kev[/user]. Been doing some reading, I see? :)

Edit to add:
Quote from: Kev on 03 February, 2014, 20:34:52Plus some kind of odd "Around the (anti)Clock" style move: Right hand Sara Grip all the way through Big Cup > Base Cup > Small Cup > Spike with my hand always rotating anti clockwise so you end up kinda twisted up.
Neat. What about resetting it with a clockwise movement, and then repeating?
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

Salvator-vals

Just landed my first lunar with new keyaki kendama. It takes about 80 min.

BKA

Quote from: Salvator-vals on 04 February, 2014, 23:45:18Just landed my first lunar with new keyaki kendama. It takes about 80 min.
Yeah! *Hi-Five!*

Salvator-vals

Thanks! I just spend another 55 min to my second lunar. Well, it's not so easy  ???

BKA

Not easy. But getting a little easier! Keep going. Try Stilts too!

The Void

Blah blah 6th Dan practice blah blah... oooh! Passed again today, with the freshly-opened Mugen. Now I don't want to be one to add to the hyperbole/mythologising of any brand, but I could definitely feel the new, unsmoothed-by-time sara-do gripping on for Birds a little bit more. Phew. Now let's hope I don't wear it in too much, or too little before I get to Japan.

(Sorry if this "6th Dan" and "Mugen" stuff seems elitist to anyone. :| I'm just sharing my kendama experiences.)
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

shalafi

Quote from: The Void on 05 February, 2014, 16:48:45
(Sorry if this "6th Dan" and "Mugen" stuff seems elitist to anyone. :| I'm just sharing my kendama experiences.)
Not at all, please keep sharing :)