News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Which kendama should I get?

Started by Repulsivez, 22 September, 2013, 20:48:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Repulsivez

I am looking for my first Kendama. I'm thinking about getting Kendamas from Sweets Kendamas, or from Ozora. I like the looks from sweets kendamas, but I'm scared there not going to be a great kendama. I heard ozoras were pretty goodbye not as cool looking. Which one should I get?

Thanks guys!
Cheers!

PikWik

if its a choice between sweets or an ozora for your FIRST kendama, i can offer what ive experienced with those two brands

sweets - nice kendama that has amazing paint.  seriously, the paint on a sweets is ridiculous. they are pricey tho. average weight is around 155-160 grams, but these are made for top players. if you need a daily kendama to beat up id say the extra money for a sweets is worth it. an ozora is tough too but not for daily stomping, imo.

ozora - JKA standard that everyone on these boards owns. and i mean everyone on here owns at least one. for good reason. the kens are solid and balanced for pro level play. strict construction/manufacturing make these what they are. ozora doesnt just ship out kendamas with huge swings in the weights. every ozora ive seen and weighed were all ~ 140grams

id say go for a un-painted sweets or one of those new white ozoras. if you prefer the paint "click" sound of a kendama, then grab a sweets atack. really tho, youll be happy with either one

emagdnim

ozora, all day every day.

Buy a yellow or a new white one. If you are smart on the web go to ebay and find craftybuddy as a seller. she has the best service and kens you can ask for!

Never played on a sweets. so can't help you with that.

Happy clicking

Kendama+cliniK

As for sweets, definitely a good starting kendama to learn lighthouses, birds, things of that nature. The paint on an aTack just continues to become more tacky as time (and play) goes by. Not a bad product at all.

My Ozora is all natural, which makes it JKA "recommended", not "Approved". The balance is great and once it's broken in it feels fantastic. However, I wish I would have waited and bought one with the white paint.

A friend once told me...."Buy all kendama you can get your hands on." There are so many different brands, styles, feels, paints, etc. It's up to your personal feel.

Have fun and I hope I helped out!
Kendama+cliniK

Coach_Styles

I would absolutely pick up one of the new white Ozora's ASAP. It's a prefect kendama for someone to start off with. I'd pick up a Sweets after you are a little more experienced.

Just my opinion.

Repulsivez

Thanks for the replies guys! I'm kinda going toward the sweets Kendamas. I was thinking about Tributes from Kendama USA, how are those? I am going to be using the kendama daily so the kendama would need to be able to take a beating.

BrandonYoder

Tributes are OK for beginners...however they're not really that good of a kendama for anyone past that due to balance. Also...paint durability on a tribute really is not that great.
I recommend something durable and balanced like Ozora or Sweets.
You honestly can NOT go wrong with an Ozora.
Sweets are always good too; though, I don't recommend an Atack.

axel.aas.12

Quote from: BrandonYoder on 24 September, 2013, 02:07:00
Tributes are OK for beginners...however they're not really that good of a kendama for anyone past that due to balance. Also...paint durability on a tribute really is not that great.
I recommend something durable and balanced like Ozora or Sweets.
You honestly can NOT go wrong with an Ozora.
Sweets are always good too; though, I don't recommend an Atack.

why not an atack?
Working on lunar flips.

Wu Tang Forever!

Kendama+cliniK

To try and answer that question. The aTack series loses it's paint quick (no durability) and honestly at times is "too tacky". It never really loses that tacky, even when the paint starts to chip off. I just recently purchase a premium orange Ozora. It's prime! I love every moment of playability.
Kendama+cliniK