News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Buying My first Kendama, need help!

Started by JakeTricksKendama, 08 June, 2013, 23:57:31

Previous topic - Next topic

JakeTricksKendama

Hey guys  :). Newb here,
so I really want to get into Kendama and need to buy my first one. I just need help on how to decide which one to buy and i thought this would be the place to ask. Another question is about "sticky" kendamas. from what I've heard it would be better in the long run to get a non-sticky one just to improve my technique. so my question is, which kendamas aren't sticky? i have no idea how to tell. and what makes a kendama sticky?

ps. sorry for all the newb questions i don't know where to start. any advice on which kendama to buy would be appreciated, thanks!

mreasyguy

You cannot go wrong with an oozora. If you want one slightly more "sticky" go with a yellow. They are being discontinued but you should be able to still grab one.

Oh and welcome to the forums, Pop a post here: http://www.kendama.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,2.0.html

JakeTricksKendama

Cool thanks! I'm probably gonna go less sticky because it'll help me out in the long run. but yeah the light blue one shouldn't be sticky? and are all oozoras getting discontinued or just the yellow?

Craftybuddy

If you are after a so-called non sticky one, I would say go for a TK16 Master which is a JKA (Japan Kendama Association) certified. Recent batches are far improved compared to the very old batches which were sometimes too slippery, so some JKA members found.

It is true that all the tricks with other Kendama models became somewhat easier to do the tricks if you get used to doing / mastering tricks with non sticky ones. Many of highly skilled Kendama players in some countries like Italy, Spain rather prefer TK16 Master models to Oozoras or other makes. However, because you have just started, the tricks you'll practice will not be dependant on the paint stickiness ...

Good luck, and most of all, enjoy the kendama play, and try various models yourself - you will find some that are more suited to you than others.

Cheers.

Yoko

mreasyguy

Just light blue and yellow is being discontinued. They are replaced with black and pink. Honestly, a JKA approved kendama is always the best route to go.

Craftybuddy

Th
Quote from: JakeTricksKendama on 09 June, 2013, 00:21:03
Cool thanks! I'm probably gonna go less sticky because it'll help me out in the long run. but yeah the light blue one shouldn't be sticky? and are all oozoras getting discontinued or just the yellow?
The recently discontinued ones are Aqua and Yellow. However, as I mentioned, you'll not notice much differences at the beginners' and Intermediate stages because the tricks you'll practice do not get affected by the paint stickiness.

Oozora range now has colours of red, blue, green, black and pink as Competition models.

:)

JakeTricksKendama

alright thanks for the help guys, so really either the oozoras or the tk16 should be fine for me? being a beginner

Craftybuddy

Quote from: JakeTricksKendama on 09 June, 2013, 00:44:01
alright thanks for the help guys, so really either the oozoras or the tk16 should be fine for me? being a beginner
Yep! ;)