News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

How often Questions.

Started by mabulrub, 29 July, 2015, 13:45:57

Previous topic - Next topic

mabulrub

I have couple of questions which all start with how often.
So, How Often

1. Do you change your kendama, or
2. Do you simply get a new one.
4. try different combinations of Tama / Ken.

The Void

1. Do you mean "....choose a different one to play with"? I think most players who have a collection will often swap between different models as their current favourite. My main jams are a Royal, a Premium Ozora, and a Mugen, but from time to time, I'll look at the shelf and decide "I think I'll play with a..... Tortoise today".
2. I'm at the stage now where I'm lucky enough to have a large collection, so I never feel like I "need" a new one. I think many people are tempted by the latest fresh design and think that they "must have" it. Although harking back to an older thread, I think it was @SamB who said that a kendama can last about a year before it's "worn out". Of course that will vary widely, depending on how carefully or agressively you play.
4. That's something I very rarely do, but I know others love to experiment with their set-ups.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

mabulrub

Again thank you "The Void" for the answer.
Actually what I meant is when to get a new one. I'm barely a month into the game and now I have two , the Kaizen Zebrano (first one without information, simply chose it for the look) and an Autumn X KROM . I stopped playing in Zebrano cause playing the KROM feels much better for me. I'm thinking of buying the KROM deluxe mahogany emerald, and I have an urge to try an Ozora for the great reviews and recommendations. But I'm afraid that I'll be over doing it. So before you have your big collection how often did it it take you before buying a new one?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

The Void

I played with my first kendama (BC) for over a year, but not trying anything agressive on it. I got my first competition model (Mugen), and then used mostly that one for over a year before it got a chip on the base cup.

If your kendama is beat up or battered enough, then maybe you *need* a new kendama.
If you only have 1 or two kendamas, then perhaps you *might like* another to start making choices/comparisons.
If you see a glossy new skybluepink wokkawood megacupper, then maybe you *want* one. :)
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

LarsVegas

I do have a small collection - somehow you start getting them - don't know how.

But I hardly change. I play new Kendamas once they're here for a bit - or I don't play them at all because they are too beautiful (Ozora Galaxy). But I always fall down to my third real Kendama: The yellow Ozora. The tama is (maybe not so) surprisingly durable. I only changed the ken because the tip was too flat after about 1.5 years. But I replaced it with another Ozora Ken.

I only "change" to play the Pill, a larger or a really smaller Kendama, or something else Kendama-related. But these are parallel activities, not replacing my main Kendama.
EKO 2012 - European Beginner Champion

HansNickmans

I'm a bit the same as Void. My collection has gotten a bit out of hand, resulting in several good-to-play kendamas lying around the apartment. I have the best ones on display: The ones that haven't been played much (and are just nice to look at), the collectibles, or the played ones that are important to me (like my first one, first TK, Dan exam ones).

I have another group of "regular playing" kendamas in another room. I tend to always have one Oozora ready to play, and than another brand as (what they are calling) a 'jammer'. These jammers have been mostly Play or Sunrise in the past, but it's a Royal right now. I tend to 'retire' a jammer (or the oozora) when the ken chips, the spike gets completely flattened or the ken is bashed so much that it doesn't balance as well as a new one would.

Another small piece of advice. The Autumn Krom is very tacky and the Emerald one is the complete opposite of that. If you're just starting out, I would recommend to go for the Oozora. But I did buy the emerald just because of how nice it looks, so what do I know :-)

Welcome to the wonderful world of kendama. Your first step into a bigger world ;-)

Kendama Belgium!