News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

One Song Moshi Kame - (What you clickin' to?)

Started by SamB, 08 October, 2011, 14:54:45

Previous topic - Next topic

SamB

I imagine a lot of people do this but the challenge is to moshi kame to the beat of a song for the whole duration of the song.

Sounds easy enough but your average pop song of 3min 30secs at 120 bpm is a massive 420 catches!
Throw in a song with break downs, odd rhythms or even (the hardest) a time change[nb]Jazz anyone?[/nb] and you have a serious challenge.

Today I managed Duck Sauce - Barbara Streisand (a nice pace and short), got half way through Stevie Wonder - Superstitious and I failed miserably at The Vaccines - Wreckin' Bar (Ra Ra Ra) (only 88 seconds but just a tiny bit too fast!) :

Any more suggestions?
Has anyone else done better?
What songs are the best to moshi kame to?
BKO 2011 - 2nd, SRC 2011 - 2nd,  SRC 2012 - 2nd, EJC 2012 (unicorns) - 2nd, SRC 2013 - 2nd, BKO 2013 - 3rd - Always the bridesmaid...

Peter

Very nice idea! Yet, Youtube tells me, that "unfortunately, this video is not available in Germany, because it could include music, that the GEMA has not given the necessary music rights". Well, could you post it on Vimeo instead?

I usually play with various children songs, thus, my children have fun, and I have too, while taking care of them and simultaneously taking care for myself ... ahem.

The classic "Usagi to Kame" song is of course my favourite one:

The funny thing about this is, that it is played slower (about 105 beat per minute) than the JKA wants the Dan Grades to be played (keys are noted in 105 beats per minute, while JKA asks for 135...). Well, I think faster is more fun. I also love playing Moshi kame while my wife is playing piano. Well, she hates it ;-). Music is great for training stupid tricks in endless repetitions, anyway.

Adam K

I would highly recommend We Will Rock You - Queen. Very fast, but with a break every 4 beats. You can also try (as a more advanced version) adding a tap back to big cup on the break. Very fun!

The Void

Nice idea Adam, I'll have to try that at some point.

Meanwhile, a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time ago, I learnt to juggle with this on the stereo:

Just clicked it for nostalgia kicks. :)
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

GbH

Of course, if you want a proper challenge....

Anyone that can keep anything near to the rhythm on this one deserves a pat on the back.

(warning - contains a few bad words, not that you'll be concentrating on that)

AlexSmith

Ultimate moshikame rhythm challenge: The Arusha Accord.
This band is actually from the UK, and is pretty much as mathy as it gets.

I apologise in advance... Most of you will probably hate this haha

s070s

Looby

John

YES Looby, nicely done. And a cracking video, a nice song to moshi moshi to indeed...

Peter

BKA

steffibearpaw

mlarinen

As a practicing buddhist, I use the japanese version of the famous Heart Sutra, with the kendama used in lieu of the wood/temple block.