News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Side spike

Started by rhys_goes_peace, 20 November, 2016, 14:27:32

Previous topic - Next topic

rhys_goes_peace

Any tips for cup to side spike (from Sara grip)? I've been trying for ages but can't seem to manage it  :(
Check out my instagram: @rhysgoespeace

The Void

Hi Rhys,

First, I assume you're okay with doing a straight pull-up to this position? If not, work on that first.
Next, work on Hole Control - That's being able to control /move the position of the hole/tama while moving between cups. http://kendama.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,1072.msg7906.html#msg7906

Then combine the two! As ever, lots of KNEES on the catch.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

rhys_goes_peace

I noticed that you said 'aka frying pan' in the title of the reply. I know frying pan, and that's a completely different trick to the one I was thinking of (where you balance it on the side of the spike and between the cups). I think I might have used the wrong name for the trick, but anyway, the trick that I was thinking of was  cup to spike from Sara grip. I knew how to do it from ken grip, but not Sara grip. Sorry for the confusion , and thanks for trying to help:p

BKA

@rhys_goes_peace How are your Stabs? http://kendama.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,1219.0.html Getting to grips with those will help you. As will, as mentioned before, hole control. Put them all together, and cup-to-spike-in-sara-grip should start to make sense. Let us know how you get on....

The Void

Ah, right, gotcha Rhys. In the early days we used "Side Spike" as the name for the trick "catching the ball on the side of the spike" (a.k.a. "The first half of Slip-on-Stick"), since there didn't seem to be another name for it. Hance my confusion.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

rhys_goes_peace

Quote from: BKA on 21 November, 2016, 17:01:26
@rhys_goes_peace How are your Stabs? http://kendama.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,1219.0.HTML Getting to grips with those will help you. As will, as mentioned before, hole control. Put them all together, and cup-to-spike-in-sara-grip should start to make sense. Let us know how you get on....
I've landed my first few side spikes. My stabs are rubbish, I need to work on them, so I'll keep practicing them. The hole control really helped me with this trick, so thanks for the tip!  :) Right now, I need to work on arcing my hand up quicker so that the ball doesn't come off the spike.
Quote from: The Void on 21 November, 2016, 17:45:36
Ah, right, gotcha Rhys. In the early days we used "Side Spike" as the name for the trick "catching the ball on the side of the spike" (a.k.a. "The first half of Slip-on-Stick"), since there didn't seem to be another name for it. Hence my confusion.
I can totally see why you called it that; it's a pretty logical name for it. I need to get better at my slip-on-sticks anyway, so I'll be sure to take note of the tip that you gave me ;).