News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

The ever popular "Today I..." thread

Started by BatDancer, 04 July, 2011, 21:24:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorny

Thanks for the approval on the naming of it, man ahahh. I was very sketchy for a long time, but I've managed to pick it up rapidly in the past few days. In all fairness, it used to annoy me that you seemed to do it so easily in your edits ahah but now I've got it down too ;)
After reading you call it 'fingerflip earthturn' in different places, and when I started to learn it, I wanted to give it it's own rather catchy name.

And yeah, I do all my Gunslinger tricks on my index finger, I don't think I can do them on my middle finger... except reverse Gunslinger tricks  :P 

The Void

I've been chilling at the Bristol juggling convention for the past few days. Some nice kendama action going on there. I managed to hit Banking->Wingwalker, and also get Axe on a standard kd for the first time.

Thorny, Shoot the World is nuts. I saw Li ho cheung do it in one of his vids..... and wondered how many takes it took. :)
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

John

Banking? Shoot the world? Earth slinger? What are these mystery tricks that have just appeared in my life and I have no idea what they are? :)

On a side note, props to you Void for the 4th Dan success. I would put that on an even scale of hardness with just landing 1 axe on a normal kendama, so double good job!

John, who can't even balance a naughty bird and therefore it must all be lies...

Ian F

Ok not strictly today, a couple of days ago (at Bristol juggling Convention so can't be certain !?) 3 Slip Grip Specials (in a row), 2 Wing Walkers (not in a row) and 1 Cliff Hanger (counting that as in a row ;-) ) Wow! can only put it down to the slope compensating for random technique. Still being given the bird by The Bird though.

BKA

Check the bka twitter feed for a pic of banking (thanks to batdancer for the necessary connectivity in a field). A bit like a wonky wingwalker.

LarsVegas

... I did my second bird ever and almost completed the Czech Open ladder ... if it wasn't for the airplane which wouldn't land.
I'm still doing my ten-attempts-per-trick runs and managed to get from a 37% overall hit rate to 49% in three weeks. Of course this is biased: The easier tricks work at almost 100% while the harder ones are around 0-20%.

lars
EKO 2012 - European Beginner Champion

Ian F

John

Aaahhh, so that's what banking is... bizarrely enough I landed the exact same trick last weekend completely by accident! The description of a wonky wingwalker is quite delightful, it is also akin to a "messy" bird as that is what I was going for (rubbish kenflip to bird, went horribly wrong) when I landed it by accident. I couldn't do it again when I tried...

Pesky birds, Hitchcock had the right idea about how evil they are...

Thorny

Today I managed some right bangers, which left me in a little disbelief! Namely, my first double stilt flip (Stilt - 720 - Stilt)

Not only that, it was on film too! So soon, it will be there for all to see!

AlexSmith

For the past 4-5 days I've been checking the forum, surprised to find no new thread updates. I was wondering why the posts had just completely died off.

Today I learned my phone logged me out of the forum for some reason, and you guys were posting all along. Damn

Also, today I filmed a new trick I came up with (fairly certain this exact variation hasn't been done)
But then I watched the footage and found that the trick went slightly out of the top of the frame. Damn. Redo time.
I call it wrecking ball (the variation I did was wrecking ball two turn lighthouse). I'll leave you all to wonder what exactly it might be :p

Cand1ez

10 jumping sticks in a row.  pleased?  you bet.

The Void

Nice one Cand1es. You out-notched me by one. Last week I got 10 Earth Turns and (separately) 9 Jumping sticks in a row.

Solidify!!
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

Cand1ez

ive discovered its all about the angle the ken is at the 'straighten knees' part.
for jumping stick i have it nearly horizontal
to land in lunar from aroplane about 45 degrees.
and lighhouse from aroplane nearish vertical.

then i use the same amount of energy

is this a faux par in anyway or is this a standard thing?

The Void

This is possibly something that makes more sense in person than in a text description, but I don't think you've said anything controversial there. Everyone will have their own slight variations on the techniques, I guess.

GbH

I landed my first earth-turn-over-the-valley this evening, much to my surprise.  Actually, in general, I've found that I've got a lot more comfortable with 'bird' tricks recently, although there's still much room for improvement.   :)

I also had a go at the consecutive jumping stick game, but could only manage 6 before messing it up.   >:(