News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Fast hand downspike from lighthouse

Started by shalafi, 04 November, 2013, 08:46:48

Previous topic - Next topic

shalafi

The idea of this trick come to mi mind yesterday, I don't remember having seen it in any edit and I wonder if it even has a better name.

The trick is as follows: you do a lighthouse -> falling down, but in the middle of the motion you switch your grip from the tama to the ken and perform a Downspike instead.

I think it will look really cool. I keep practicing it.
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

The Void

Lighthouse "-> Fast Hand Stab".

"Stab" is quicker to say, quicker to type, more original/true, and cooler than "Downspike". :-)
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

shalafi

Ok, that covers my first question.

The second question is. Is it in any edit? I don't remember seeing it.

I mean, I thought of the trick yesterday, and I was surprised that a trick that is "quite obvious" is not in any edit.

Well, I'll keep practicing and put it in my next edit :)

emagdnim

The Void

I spent 5 minutes trying this tonight. I felt like there are 2 slightly differing ways of doing the grip change... which I can't put into words very well. Anyway, I didn't get it, but felt like I could.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

shalafi

The trick, as I visualize it, makes the grip change once the spike is facing downwards.

I guess it may be easier to do a grip change at the beginning, the get the ken when the spike is facing upwards and turn it in the hand, but I think the other one is better looking.

Not sure if we are talking about the same thing.

The Void

Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking - "early" or "late" grabs. It seemed more subtle when I was trying, but... yeah.

emagdnim

Havend got it yet. Cool trick but harder than you think.
I tossed the tamma up and spiked it horizontale. 
That one got me excided to keep on trying.
Really want to lurn this one

shalafi

I have not landed it yet, but I am a terrible player :)

Cliffdama

This is close to impossible for me atm i come to grab the ken and try to stab but the tama is allready way to far down to catch up with it. Any tips to help with this? If i try to trow the ken up higher , follow with the tama i am not able to keep the tama hole straight to stab.... Frustrating but fun trick!

RodDama

i love this trick :) the way i do it is i have the lighthouse...kind of lift it as if switching to ken spike, and instead grab the ken and twist my wrist to downspike. its much more difficult to do it falling, fast hand as youve described but definitely doable!!
-RodDama!

www.terrakendama.com

shalafi

RodDama

haha ill see what i can do! can i upload straight to the forum somehow? or do i have to youtube it first?
-RodDama!

www.terrakendama.com

RodDama

i filmed it but my phone and computer dont get along.... lol
-RodDama!

www.terrakendama.com

BKA

Yeah, you have to upload it somewhere first, Rod.

Sent from my futuristic device