News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

KAIZEN Cherry Wood

Started by xbrentaix, 13 February, 2015, 04:00:05

Previous topic - Next topic

xbrentaix

Hello, I've been debating wether or not to wait for the KAIZEN Cherry Silk White to come back in stock, buy the ghost silk cherry, or the natty. Please give me the pros and cons in the natty, ghost silk, and silk white please. Thanks!

PikWik

1 kaizen cherry with white tama - legit paint with the base coat to make them SUPER grippy. ive beaten my mint paduak with very heavy spiking and the paint has held perfectly.

2 kaizen cherry ghost - half the coat of the white tama and ive heard/read some people say the ghosts chip easily.

3 kaizen natty cherry - slippy at first and then grippy. hardwoods will be slippier. so, beech, birch, or maple would be the grippier natural wood choices.

& if i was buying only one of those, id wait for the cherry with white tama or get another kaizen silk complete, but Not a ghost silk

xbrentaix

Quote from: PikWik on 13 February, 2015, 20:09:53
1 kaizen cherry with white tama - legit paint with the base coat to make them SUPER grippy. ive beaten my mint paduak with very heavy spiking and the paint has held perfectly.

2 kaizen cherry ghost - half the coat of the white tama and ive heard/read some people say the ghosts chip easily.

3 kaizen natty cherry - slippy at first and then grippy. hardwoods will be slippier. so, beech, birch, or maple would be the grippier natural wood choices.

& if i was buying only one of those, id wait for the cherry with white tama or get another kaizen silk complete, but Not a ghost silk
Thank you so much PikWik. After I purchase my purpleheart homegrown, I will be sure to pick up a cherry with a white tama once they get back in stock.
P.S. Anyone know how grippy the homegrowns are before and after break in?

Kev

hardwoods will be slippier. so, beech, birch, or maple would be the grippier natural wood choices.

Hi [user]PikWik[/user]- Just to clarify, beech, birch and maple are all hardwoods too.

Perhaps when you say hardwoods you're referring to the more exotic hardwoods that Kaizen are using and are suggesting these are slippier than the more familiar beech, birch and maple?

I don't know about the relative grip / slip personally as I've not played with kendamas made from all of the woods they use.

Which one's have you tried? Seems there's quite a selection! - their site shows they're currently using the following hardwoods:

Beech, Birch, Cherry, Padauk, Purpleheart, Wenge, Zebrano, Cumaru, Verawood. (No maple it seems).

I really like the look of the Wenge, Cherry and Verawood myself - tasty!

Leologic777

t
DO you mean this for numbers one and two? there are only two cherry kaizens in the collection.
Getting Better!- 11 Kendama's- Been playing for 9 months

Leologic777

DO you mean this for numbers one and two? there are only two cherry kaizens in the collection.
[/quote]

I meant this http://shop.kendamausa.com/collections/kaizen-silk/products/kaizen-cherry-silk-ghost

Leologic777

Quote from: Leologic777 on 14 February, 2015, 14:13:46

I meant this http://shop.kendamausa.com/collections/kaizen-silk/products/kaizen-cherry-silk-ghost
[/quote]

Really sorry i meant number two and three

PikWik

kaizen cherry natural - plays like a natural kendama with no paint. the grip will take a bit of play but it gets perfect in a month or so.

kaizen cherry ghost silk - plays great and sticky, but ive heard that the ghost "paint" chips easy

kaizen cherry silk white - plays like their refined silk paint should. this formula kUSA have settled on is, what i believe to be, one of the best paints out there ATM. as far as durability is concerned, it is second to none. the paint can take very heavy spiking and still not chip. sure it gets dents from big falls, but the paint doesnt flake off and pull away from the tama. once again, durable paint.

of all the kaizens/pro mods kendamaUSA offers, ive played with these types of hardwoods - Beech, Cherry, Padauk, Purpleheart, & Maple (alex smith pro mod). not including kendamaUSA kaizen line, ive also played with bamboos, hickory, and birch. hands down, the best wood ive played with was maple. every maple i have, ive only had to glue the tip once, and its stayed perfect. from my experience, maple wood is more bouncy. especially with drum sticks.

the sweets HG will take a bit of play to break in, but is an amazing kendama.  one of my top 5 kens

top 5

Hickory GT
Mugen Musou
Gold Premium Ozora
Walnut Homegrown
Mint Padauk

Kev

Quote from: PikWik on 14 February, 2015, 19:24:19
from my experience, maple wood is more bouncy. especially with drum sticks.

Yep. I know what you mean!

The Kaizen's all sound interesting, I'd like to try one sometime.