News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Identifying rares

Started by MasterKatra42, 13 November, 2012, 23:21:46

Previous topic - Next topic

The Void

Ah, okay, then I'm wrong about the *Marine* blues, (I stopped paying enough attention at some point, obviously!) and those are OG too. Good for you... :)
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

The Void

If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

peterthake

Thanks Void. I am pretty confident the Marines are OG, I even labelled each one as such many years ago.

I also(!) have a bunch of probable OG reds, also labelled by me as OGs many moons ago. These are much more difficult to be certain about becuase the paint colour is nearly identical. But I just re-read the thread on here about the white primer and, looking at a new Ozora, I can see the thin white primer at the hole. On the red OGs there is no primer visible. The photo below shows the assumed OG red Ozora (on left) and the new red on the right.

I thought I read somewhere about lines in the paint too, but cannot recall if these are on the OGs or new models? Looking at what I have here, the OGs seem to have a slightly more dimpled surface.

Proprietor, Kendama-world.com

BKA

Topics merged. Seemed to make sense...

emagdnim

love my two og ozora´s

But I hope this is the right place to post this question.
What types of wood used making these different kendama´s

All I know is
Ozoras are beech wood
TK16s are Birch wood

Peat

Wanted to post these for a while now, to show off the crazy difference in grain.

Can't post directly to the forum thus the Instagram link.

peterthake

Peat, what is your photo showing (what are the 2 kendama)?

Peat

The Void

Is the one on the left beech? Can't see the tell-tale flecks in that one, but since it's out of the packet, maybe it's aged/worn/treated? Or is it a different wood? What do you reckon, @Peat ?

peterthake

@Peat thanks - I didn't recognise the packaging!

Peat

@The Void they both arrived in packaging, it feels nothing like beech, and I think it could be cherry but I wasn't sure if that was a possibility, did sakuras come in different woods?

The Void

Shin Sakuras had cherry wood. Sakura means cherry. Don't know for sure, but I imagine it's quite possible.

Peat

Hmm, looks like I'll need to do some research.

Also if it turns out that I've got something special here I'll be a bit upset that I've played it so much, I would've preferred to play the one on the right but when they arrived the package of the left one was slightly open and there was a ding in the ball, so I played it instead to keep the other one fresh.

Peat

AlexSmith

Quote from: peterthake on 08 October, 2015, 10:07:51
I wish I had one of the new Pink Ozoras to compare the colour to. AlexSmith can you elaborate? Do you mean any signs of primer? I am not sure the absence of primer is a totally fail-safe method - the top coat might just completely cover any primer?

Seeing a primer would definitely mean not 'OG', they used a white primer for a while after switching paints. OG zoo paint breaks in in a sort of tell-tale way, I'll see if I can snap a pic of some of mine tomorrow to post here as an example. Harder to tell when its fresh.

@The Void the Sakura on the left in the photo posted by Peat is made of cherry wood, I just got one of them too. I didn't even know they existed prior to receiving the package so it was a nice surprise when it arrived.