News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Don't Use Gorilla Glue

Started by MrSquirrel, 25 February, 2013, 01:46:46

Previous topic - Next topic

MrSquirrel

The sarado kept coming off of the ken on my Enjyu Ozora kendama (the only kendama I have). I saw a thread on another forum that said to use Gorilla Glue instead of regular super glue, so I did. The string broke yesterday, so I practiced moshi kame for the rest of the day. I tried to take it apart to change the string today, and I couldn't get it apart by hand. I decided to try a vise, which didn't turn out so well. I twisted it too hard, and the wood got fractured. The glue didn't budge, but now my kendama is messed up. It is still playable, but I  am being very careful. And of course, I can't put a string on it now. So my point is, don't use Gorilla Glue.

br4d24

damn that really sucks :( you gotta use the glue really sparingly when it comes to kendama.

Im not sure how bad your kendama is but if you really want to change your string and the glue wont budge maybe you could modify it so you can restring it like a tribute? Eliminating the need to remove the crosspiece?

I guess we all know that gorilla glue is pretty hardy now.

MrSquirrel

Quote from: br4d24 on 25 February, 2013, 01:55:34
damn that really sucks :( you gotta use the glue really sparingly when it comes to kendama.

Im not sure how bad your kendama is but if you really want to change your string and the glue wont budge maybe you could modify it so you can restring it like a tribute? Eliminating the need to remove the crosspiece?

I guess we all know that gorilla glue is pretty hardy now.
Thanks for the ideas, but I think I'll just buy a new kendama (or maybe several), and use this one for moshi kame. And I was using Loctite Super Glue before, and it was working fine, but I ran out.

br4d24

Thats probably the best idea, wasnt sure how easy it was for you to get a new one. Here in Canada you gotta wait almost a month before it gets through shipping  >:(

I dont think i could moshi kame that long haha

AlexSmith

My advice is to always use regular old white glue, there isn't a need for anything stronger when it comes to keeping the sarado on (though super glue is usually used to stabilize/harden the spike). A small amount of white glue will hold the sarado on, and you should still be able to twist it off without too much effort (note: if you use to much you can still glue it on permanently!).

Wood glue (gorilla glue included) will actually dry to be harder than the wood it's bonding, when used properly. So its no surprise you ripped the Enjyu in half. That does suck though! Hopefully you got some good tricks out of it first!

MrSquirrel

Quote from: AlexSmith on 25 February, 2013, 06:02:20
My advice is to always use regular old white glue, there isn't a need for anything stronger when it comes to keeping the sarado on (though super glue is usually used to stabilize/harden the spike). A small amount of white glue will hold the sarado on, and you should still be able to twist it off without too much effort (note: if you use to much you can still glue it on permanently!).

Wood glue (gorilla glue included) will actually dry to be harder than the wood it's bonding, when used properly. So its no surprise you ripped the Enjyu in half. That does suck though! Hopefully you got some good tricks out of it first!
Thanks for the advice Alex :) I was using super glue because it dries clear, but I just realized that many white glues dry clear too.

GODstrument

When I have a loose sarado i use a small strip of masking tape.  It does not ruin the ken and is easy to remove.

br4d24

Quote from: GODstrument on 28 February, 2013, 16:18:30
When I have a loose sarado i use a small strip of masking tape.  It does not ruin the ken and is easy to remove.

Thats actually a great idea! Might not look quite as nice though (if the tape is visible).

There is always the option of just getting a tribute... no worries of separations there.