News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

[App] KendamApp - iOS & Android

Started by BKA, 30 January, 2012, 11:56:30

Previous topic - Next topic

GODstrument

Quote from: BKA on 06 February, 2012, 17:52:04
Thanks Eric.

(Do we gather from your icon that you've managed to complete your collection of all 6 JKA-sealed kendamas?)

Yes.  It was a quite expensive endeavor but was made possible because of this forum.  I found a Mugen and Shin-Sakura for sale from here.  Thanks.  Fovever grateful.

steffibearpaw

That's GREAT , thanks a lot ....  installed immediately, works fine  :)  ;) :D

sunny greetings from  Stuttgart

Steffi

shalafi

Quote from: steffibearpaw on 12 February, 2012, 10:30:13
That's GREAT , thanks a lot ....  installed immediately, works fine  :)  ;) :D

sunny greetings from  Stuttgart

Steffi

If you like it, please rate it (and review if you feel like it) :)
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

BKA

Android v 1.0.4 is out, with some minor fixes.
iOS version getting very close.

shalafi

Quote from: BKA on 02 March, 2012, 17:06:24
And a much better download of the videos for the full version (it was a very large download, now it can recover)

steffibearpaw

Quote from: shalafi on 02 March, 2012, 17:11:32
Quote from: BKA on 02 March, 2012, 17:06:24
And a much better download of the videos for the full version (it was a very large download, now it can recover)

@shalafi Thanks a lot for the remark.... finally finished the download  :)  :D  :)

BKA

BKA

UPDATE: Android v1.1 out now.
* Slow motion video playback
* BKA/EKA 2012 lists included
* 9 New tricks (full version only)
Links in the first post of this thread.

BKA

Update for Android, Version 1.1.1:
* Improved trick tracking / history (full version only)
* Share of tricks and moshi-kames

shalafi

Just informing you that KendamApp free passed 1,000 downloads yesterday :)

shalafi

And as of today, the full version is on 99 downloads. Who will be #100?

mwlcarter

Hello.

I just bought KendamApp, it's quite nice.  As Android/iOS apps go, it's more expensive than most... perhaps make it clearer that proceeds go to support BKA?  That'd probably increase sales.

Just a bit of initial feedback... I went quickly from Lite to full when I found out I could only record my kyu progress with the full app.  So that carrot worked for me.  ;-)

The videos... excellent to have videos showing each trick.  Suggestion: make sure in each video that the kendama is clearly visible.  For example, for the video of trick 2 (small cup), the camera is at a far enough distance (along with lighting issues) that I can't look at the video and distinguish the starting position of the kendama (small cup facing up, cups horizontal, etc).  With this trick it's not a big deal, but it's something to watch for.

Feature request: being able to put the video on a loop.  I like to watch a video four or five times to take in all the details, and if I could press a loop button this would be easier.

Mark

mwlcarter

Another suggestion: Include a text description of how to perform the trick.  For example, the appropriate grip could be specified, as well as any helpful tips.

The Void

Hi, thanks for the feedback!
Looping is a good idea.

As for your other points, the thinking of what the app should be when we were coming up with it, was that it should be something between a reference library and a diary. It wasn't intended to be specifically a teaching tool. Sure, we could put a little bit of text description in, but I found that when writing my books that you usually have to write quite a lot more than you think you do to get the point across. (Plus, on a personal, and perhaps slightly selfish level, I didn't want the app to compete with the books. :) ) So the videos are intended as references to tricks, or ideas to inspire. If it had been meant as a teaching app, then yes, the videos could have had more close-ups and editing work. But then it would have turned into a large-scale version of the DVD, and the editing required for doing that for over 100 tricks is off the scale.

I see from your posts that you're a beginner. (Welcome to kendama, and the forum, by the way!) If you'd have asked, I probably would have (hopefully impartially!) recommended the books over the app to you. But since you liked the free version and decided to upgrade, I won't feel too bad. I just re-read the app description, and I hope it isn't misleading...?
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

shalafi

Just complementing what Void said.

The app has been made because we wanted to make it. It is expensive, yes, but the niche is so small that it will take years before it pays for the development costs alone, not counting the filming and editing.

I have plans for a new update (I still need to find some time to do it) where you can see how close you are to certain certifications based on your score on some tricks, and therefore, to know which ones you should practice more.

I am going to add that because I feel like I need it myself :-)

I'll take a look about looping videos. Thanks!