News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

The ever popular "Today I..." thread

Started by BatDancer, 04 July, 2011, 21:24:24

Previous topic - Next topic

br4d24

Got a 1-turn lighthouse to UFO today! On footage too!

HansNickmans

Had a pretty dama-heavy weekend and managed to land:
- a lot of moon circles (trying to get that one consistent)
- reverse swing-in gunslinger (which came up on this forum and is a very satisfying one to land)
- tap in with a 1.5 turn. That one felt soooo good :-)
Kendama Belgium!

br4d24

Cliffdama

@hans: gratz! Always feeling good landing new tricks!

@brd : looking great, really like the combos.

Myself:

I keep getting better in birds! I'm really thinking about making a birds variation video. First youtube video i ever made haha.

What i landed this morning. I'mfeally hyped about these tricks. Some new ones maybe?

1. Bigbird(bb) - earthspin(es) - spike-earthspin - bigbird
2. Bb - es - bb
3 pull up eartspin - bb
4 pull up earthspin - spike.

br4d24

Oo! Nice man!

Birds are deffs a weak spot for me! Gotta practice them more! Look forward to the video!

Cliffdama

Quote from: br4d24 on 25 March, 2013, 13:18:19
Oo! Nice man!

Birds are deffs a weak spot for me! Gotta practice them more! Look forward to the video!

At first they where impossible but after a weak doing almost only birds they are (almost) easy. I'm waiting for a bit of a better day to start filming outside haha way to cold right now!

JamesFM

@Cliff: I would love to see a bird variation video! I can do big bird solid, but I could use some inspiration / demonstrations of bird variations.

@Brad: That video was sick. The 1 turn lighthouse to UFO was so epic bro. Near the end you do this cool trick where you swing the ball onto the big cup like a trapeze on a yoyo. you then keep the string tensioned and pass it to the base cup horizontally. That trick looks so stylish. What is it called / is there a tutorial?

br4d24

Quote from: JamesFM on 25 March, 2013, 19:39:46
@Cliff: I would love to see a bird variation video! I can do big bird solid, but I could use some inspiration / demonstrations of bird variations.

@Brad: That video was sick. The 1 turn lighthouse to UFO was so epic bro. Near the end you do this cool trick where you swing the ball onto the big cup like a trapeze on a yoyo. you then keep the string tensioned and pass it to the base cup horizontally. That trick looks so stylish. What is it called / is there a tutorial?
It originally was made by Donald i believe! Really its not a super hard trick, all you need to do is get used is swinging the ball past your finger and getting some tension. I can made a tutorial video sometime, i have been planning doing some tutorials that are really detailed.

br4d24

sorry for double post but... I LANDED MY FIRST LUNAR! IT WAS ABSOLUTELY PERFECT NO FINGER TOUCHING/ASSIST AT ALL and got the spike.

I literally threw my hands in the air! Finally got that last "basic" hard trick in the arsenal, now for consistency!

Probably happened from good karma! Almost done that tutorial video for the string trick in my recent video.

BKA

@James: It's a variation of Donald's trick Around The Triangle[nb]See KendamApp or Knees[/nb], but with a different ending.
@Brad: First Lunar? Always worth a *hi five*!

the milky oolong

...was messing around trying to land Bat in different positions - starting at Base Cup, flipping the tama like an Earthturn, landing in Bat, and also Bat>Big Cup>Bat, in the manner of Nodding Off but upside down. Is there perhaps a name for this trick already? It feels really weird to finally land it.
Kendama Berlin
German Kendama Open 2014: 1st Place Speed Trick, 2nd Place Knockout
German Kendama Championships 2015: 3rd Place Speed Trick
KEN FEST Hannover, 2016: 3rd Place KEN Battle
KENDAMA CLASH Berlin 2016: 1st Place Intermediate

br4d24

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151325868925986&l=5323866331246933319

Second lunar! This time i didnt get the spike, i was trying to get close to the camera to show it wasnt touching my fingers.

happygoat

Quote from: br4d24 on 26 March, 2013, 05:34:45
... I LANDED MY FIRST LUNAR! IT WAS ABSOLUTELY PERFECT NO FINGER TOUCHING/ASSIST AT ALL and got the spike.
I literally hate you ;) No, congrats to you...must be awesome!!

I'm still struggling with lunars...which technique did you use...string hook or the twisted ken version?

I'm amazed to see the progress you have done in so short time...I have played since mid-December and is not at you level. How much do you play per day?

Cheers,

-Thomas

Cliffdama

Whoohooo mother of G!
I did 2new bird tricks! Also going to be in the video. Only one of it i only landed it once. I thought it was impossible.

1. Big bird -> slipstick to big cup (new get untoouched with the wood) -> slipstick bigbird -> bearthspin to spike!

2(only landed it once!) big bird -> kenflip (horizontal, keep ken straight up and move it 180) -> small bird catch!

br4d24

Quote from: happygoat on 27 March, 2013, 08:55:25
Quote from: br4d24 on 26 March, 2013, 05:34:45
... I LANDED MY FIRST LUNAR! IT WAS ABSOLUTELY PERFECT NO FINGER TOUCHING/ASSIST AT ALL and got the spike.
I literally hate you ;) No, congrats to you...must be awesome!!

I'm still struggling with lunars...which technique did you use...string hook or the twisted ken version?

I'm amazed to see the progress you have done in so short time...I have played since mid-December and is not at you level. How much do you play per day?

Cheers,

-Thomas

I used the string hang technique brought up by alex. It seems to be more consistent, but i never had issues getting it up there - its more the balancing that is hard. I find trying to get it in contact with the ball when its horizontal and then cushion the rest of its spinning motion for a better grip and position on the tama. Thats just what ive observed so far though, it could be the wrong technique - i only land one or two every day.

And i practice about 2-3 hours a day, i just bring it everywhere i go and play when i walk. When i first started i played pretty much all the time, even when im longboarding (which is quite the challenge at first).

Also, heres ma edit from yesterday at the beach, landed my first lighthouse-build the lighthouse (around 50s). Hope you guys dont mind videos over just saying what i landed. I love doing video so always filming hones my video skills as well as dama skills.