News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

The ever popular "Today I..." thread

Started by BatDancer, 04 July, 2011, 21:24:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Cliffdama

Cliffdama

Self grade day. Got to pre dan moshi kame 87 from kyu10 in one try :p. I suck at moshi kame :o.

Kev

Well done Cliff.

It's been said somewhere on the forum that it's the Moshi's that get 'em every time. It's definitely the area I'm weakest on so have been trying to practice on a near daily basis. Thing is, although I'm really trying to learn to love Moshi Kame - I can't stand doing it, I find it annoying, boring and uncomfortable after a time. Of course, this attitude isn't going to help me get on the Dan table so I've been trying to make friends with the Moshi Monster!

Something that may be helpful (it was for me) is to not count the catches just note the time. For me this helps me focus in on the trick and relax into it better as I'm not counting.

Once you're rocking around 135bpm you know that 1 min = 135 catches so just set yourself a time to Moshi for. Say for example you're going for 1st Dan, practice for 2 mins at 135bpm you will have done 270 which is 70 more than the required 200. This way seems to work for me and you get that bit of extra practice going beyond your target.

For some reason 2 mins of Moshi seems so much more achievable than 200 catches. Weird huh?

The Void

Quote from: the milky oolong on 16 December, 2013, 02:45:53[user]The Void[/user], was that 9/10 Clifftop or Slip Grip?
It's the one of those that is required for 6th Dan. http://www.kendama.co.uk/tricks.html
Quote from: Cliffdama on 16 December, 2013, 09:33:23Whats a monkey chair? :p
It's number 16 in the BKO 2014 Advanced list. http://www.kendama.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,1380.msg10419.html#msg10419

Nice work on the tricks, guys. And yeah, +1 for what Kev said about timing your Moshis, not counting them. Put on some nice tunes and just click away at (a bit faster than)  the required pace.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

HansNickmans

On the moshikame, I practiced with a 135 bpm beat in my ears (no music, just the beat). And I count everytime I hit base cup, then you only have to do half :-) And there's the fun of multiplying afterwards :-) With that technique, I got my 200 moshikame first try in Toulouse (my second try was horrible).

With that beat, I kinda zone out after a hundred catches. And suddenly you wake up and you're around 450 (only happened once).

Oh yeah, and today I played with my Taiyo (late and awesome birthday present) and managed to get a gunslinger earth turn and a corkscrew with it. Great fun!
Kendama Belgium!

the milky oolong

Today I...

...did a lot of running around getting important paperwork from different ministry buildings (welcome back to Germany). At one point found myself next to Just Juggling, so I went in to say hi. I'd met with the softly-spoken (I think) Dutch owner a few months ago, as to the Kendama demand. He said he wanted to get on it but wasn't sure what to do. I said I was often in contact with the BKA online, and though I wasn't a member, I could recommend some brands and some websites (obviously this one foremost), and he said he'd do some research. Turns out he is a friend of Donald's, so he was of course not completely new to kendama, and could even show potential buyers the basics.

I asked how kendama was being received (Just Juggling has a regular Monday/Tuesday meet where a lot of the city's jugglers meet, some of whom are living from busking-juggling) - he said it'd grown rapidly since my last visit; his shelves reflected this, now stocking as well as the neon SunRise Performers also KROM Deluxe, the leopard-print KROMs, KNEES!, a few other models, and a KROM mini. This I greatly coveted, and the sterling chap gave me a whopping discount, apparently for my pains. Hopefully kendama will be arriving in Berlin in earnest some time very soon.
Kendama Berlin
German Kendama Open 2014: 1st Place Speed Trick, 2nd Place Knockout
German Kendama Championships 2015: 3rd Place Speed Trick
KEN FEST Hannover, 2016: 3rd Place KEN Battle
KENDAMA CLASH Berlin 2016: 1st Place Intermediate

BKA

That would be Alan, I believe. Good to hear!

The Void

Today I hit myself on the head with the tama when trying Half-Swirl Aeroplane.

Owww.

Also, I currently hate BirdFOTValley.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

shalafi

Quote from: The Void on 17 December, 2013, 01:20:04
Also, I currently hate BirdFOTValley.

Don't hate, hate is the path to the dark side.
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

The Void

Quote from: shalafi on 17 December, 2013, 11:27:51Don't hate, hate is the path to the dark side.
[rasps into a pint glass]

Kev

Today I landed Aeroplane > 1 turn Dead Body with my Ozora.

There was a lot of luck involved in this but land it I did - and y'know, some people say, you make your own luck. ;)

shalafi

Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

HansNickmans

Yesterday I gave a kendama workshop at my circus school. Only 7 people, but we had a lot of fun. One of them got to a lighthouse and some swing-ins were landed within the hour. It was a fun evening.
Kendama Belgium!

BKA

Nice one Kev - next step... on camera! ;)
Hans, good work spreading the word!

Click click!

the milky oolong

Today I realized that you can 'tré' a Jumping Stick without the 'one finger in the cup and spin' method, but using the wrist instead. Pretty neat.

Ouch, [user]Void[/user], that can't have been good. According to the chat it seems to be a dangerous day for kendama, statistically-speaking. Two men down. Nothing but a hardwood deathtrap, that thing. As my gran never used to say, 'someone'll have an eye out in a minute'.
Kendama Berlin
German Kendama Open 2014: 1st Place Speed Trick, 2nd Place Knockout
German Kendama Championships 2015: 3rd Place Speed Trick
KEN FEST Hannover, 2016: 3rd Place KEN Battle
KENDAMA CLASH Berlin 2016: 1st Place Intermediate