News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Share your experience

Started by mabulrub, 29 July, 2015, 14:32:00

Previous topic - Next topic

mabulrub

I have couple of things that I would like to get an idea about.

I have been playing for almost one month now, I learn my tricks from kendamaUsa.com.
I have learned all the beginner level tricks, and i'm on the sencond list (intermediate).

I just wonder.
1. when do you start learning new trick and when do you say that I got this trick down. for example I can now do lighthouse. like 5 or 6 out 10. jumping stick probably 2 or 3 / 10 ( in this case do you say that you landed it and start learning new trick?

2. When did you start doing combos. Yesterday I tried to do a combo which i succeeded doing in it twice out of many attempts. Aeroplane , Jumping stick, zero spin, spike to lighthouse (Building lighthouse), lighthouse to spike and finished with zero spin again. it took me a while before getting them and I considered this like a a practice instead of repeating one trick time after another.

3. How do you practice, like in a combo or each trick alone and when do you try your trick in a combo.

Please for advanced players you may like to give your valued advice for us, beginners.

The Void

I'm a strong advocate of the Kyu/Dan grading system http://www.kendama.co.uk/tricks.html . I think working your way through those tricks is a great grounding in the "basics" (of many levels).

There's a difference between "done a trick", "can do it", and "solid" at it. Choose your words to reflect where you are with it - you know best how "down" you have it.

Combos: Get each trick at least semi-solid before adding other moves to it, I think. I like to have the "feel" of a trick before I move on. But then again, if it's a move that has a distinct finish position, then why not carry on each time you get it?

I tend to practice for my gradings, or for competitions, concentrating on 1 trick at a time.

But everyone has their own way of playing, and ultimately, if you're not enjoying it, you're doing it wrong!

Click on, have fun.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

mabulrub

Thanks for your insightful answer.

Just to get the sense of it. How many successful attempts out of 10 need to get so you say you're solid or semi solid in doing a trick?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

The Void

I think that could depend on the trick or the context.
For 2-Turn Lighthouse, say, I'd be "6th-Dan solid" with only 3/10. But for the same trick, if it was a compulsory in a competition, I think I'd like to be 2/3 or better to describe it as solid.
Whereas a lower-level trick, like Lighthouse, I'd like to be 19/20 to be solid.

It could also depend on who the player is, or the group of players you're playing with.

Sorry to be vague, but it's a fluid thing, I reckon!
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

mabulrub

Quote from: The Void on 29 July, 2015, 18:21:51
I think that could depend on the trick or the context.
For 2-Turn Lighthouse, say, I'd be "6th-Dan solid" with only 3/10. But for the same trick, if it was a compulsory in a competition, I think I'd like to be 2/3 or better to describe it as solid.
Whereas a lower-level trick, like Lighthouse, I'd like to be 19/20 to be solid.

It could also depend on who the player is, or the group of players you're playing with.

Sorry to be vague, but it's a fluid thing, I reckon!
You're not vague at all. I get it now. On my level I would consider for example a 3/10 J stick a semi solid however I'm hoping for getting higher rate in order to smoothly put it in combos.

Thanks for the help.

LarsVegas

In many ways I think similar to Void. I like to have some guideline, be it the Dan system I'm practising for or a ladder for an upcoming competition. And I was using Excel tables (with graphs) to track my progress, always trying to get above the 50% line - that would make me confident to pass whatever you have to pass. Nowadays I mostly use @shalafi 's KendamApp - but the goals are the same.

But I would like to emphasise the "fun" part a little bit more in the sense of not following one path, getting a little bit "wild": I always play tricks left and right of that path. I like learning new tricks from others and I try to do harder variants of tricks I cannot do solid at the moment (not even semi solid). First of all, it is fun to have a wider repertoire. Then, just playing without the need to succeed that trick (on a given date) is fun. My experience from juggling also taught me, that one more ball/club/ring significantly improves your skills with one ball less (your current level). So overdoing this (e.g. double turn) makes it easier for me to do my single turn later. It's fun to become better at one thing without narrowly practising only that trick. The conclusion is that by just playing, you become better - if that isn't fun, I don't know what is.
Having said that, I personally also have fun by following a given path - increase the success rate, bring a trick to perfection, make it more elegant/fluent/effortless/.. you know, all that Japanese perseverance stuff :)
EKO 2012 - European Beginner Champion

mabulrub

I follow the tricks in kendama app. Finished the beginner level and got self certified. I still got two tricks to nail down before opting for the pre Dan. :).
And yeah if it's not for fun then what for !
Thanks for your time to answer @LarsVegas