News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Moshi Kame

Started by The Void, 13 November, 2012, 00:58:50

Previous topic - Next topic

MisterJumpshoe

My record for moshi is 1,480, which I did with a stringless Ozora.  No witnesses, unfortunately!  That was two years ago and there is no way I could do it again now.  I incurred some kind of injury while training for my 1st Dan last year.  I don't know if it's an inflammation or RSI or carpal tunnel syndrome or whatever, but right-handed I couldn't do more than ten catches at the minimum required speed for a grading (135 bpm).  It doesn't hurt exactly; it's just that the muscles feel tired and numb most of the time and simply will not react.  I've been trying tentatively to do it left-handed, but I am reticent about practising every day.  Today, I managed 169 catches at a reasonably good speed.  Not sure what it was exactly, but certainly more than 135 bpm.

I only say this as a caveat to other players.  Everyone seems to have been fortunate so far (or not silly enough to over-train).
Music Has the Right to Children

Kev

I'm feeling your pain [user]MisterJumpshoe[/user], I recently got up to self certifying 1st Dan but the wheels have come off my Moshi Kame since. My record is 917 but over the last couple of weeks I'm struggling to hit 50!

I did manage to get to 100 once today but only at a very slow speed. At the required rate of 135 I'm currently seeing about 30-40 on average.

I've got the day off so going to try again.

M.Wang

Whoa. That's a lot. My record is 147. My sisters is 10. (She learned spike before moshi kame. ._.
-M.Wang

Simplicity! CLICKON!
KENDAMA.

Sqveel

^ my fav moshi kame video. I wish I could just casually click like that on my way around.

also, EACH CATCH counts as one? I've always counted a big and small cup as one. I don't really practice going for as long as I can on this anymore. I used to, but once I got to about 30ish (which according to you guys is actually 60ish)  I stopped. If I moshi kame for a long time it's usually cos a really good song for it with a fine beat comes on, and i'll click away for the whole song. I always listen to music, can't click without it. I'm not the biggest fan but old school playground rap music like jurrasic 5 and rizzle kicks seems to be best for me.   

also, 20 minutes? that's insane? though saying that I don't actually know how long i could go for.

PikWik

word. rizzle kicks!

glad to hear kids still have an ear for J5 and that old-school hiphop sound

s070s

practicing hard today
when i realized ... i forget the min. speed for moshi's
was that 130 bpm or al you allowed to do it even slower.

i remember nabin (kendama spain ) last year (ejc 2013) havin a very interesting technic.
his approach was a litter slower and hi only 'diped' with the big cup catch

and i know mr dutchkendama blasts through moshi's @ 280 bpm

BKA

http://www.kendama.co.uk/tricks.html "....Moshi kame, which must be performed at 135 beats/minute."

280!!! You perhaps mean 180.

s070s

oke thx for the info

i also could have said 1080, i just meant ... he does it fast.

Sqveel

I've recently taken the string off my kendama for practising moshi kame, it certainly helps a lot.  I can get over 50 now (60 something's my record) but that's at nowhere near the speed that's expected. I'm getting about 115 bpm, when i try at 135 I usually mess up at around 15ish cos it's just so much faster than what I'm used to. Looks like bringing up this speed'll be a slow process.

I do have a bit of a problem though, even more so now that it's stringless.

When I moshi kami I look at the tama, the slight up and down motion it does becomes the focus of my vision. After a couple of minutes of this, i get some weird illusion where it looks like the tama is almost staying still and the background starts to "wub"/throb instead. Not sure how to explain it really, it makes me feel nauseous.  I think it must be cos I'm focusing on something moving so slightly yet so rhythmically, for so long.  It is usually what ends my streaks. I'll feel the need to look somewhere else cos looking at the tama makes me queasy, and then when i do look at anything else my focus shifts and i miss my catch.

anyone else get this?

BKA

Some suggestions:
Breathe, blink.
Try adjusting your focus in depth, i.e. look straight past the kendama at a spot on the floor for a moment, but keep the tama in the centre of your field of vision. Then back to the tama.

Davo

Hoping than someone more knowledgeable than I will advise otherwise if I make a suggestion that could be counterproductive for someone seeking certification---I am not; just using it to rehab a pair of abused knees (OK, and it's fun  ;-)
I was months trying to break 100 without a miss, and I'm usually working about 120bpm, just because it's a natural rhythm, though I feel now that I can pick up the pace a bit if I choose to.
I ran into the same kinds of troubles when looking directly at the tama, and what I did was to glance at the cup that's moving -away- from the tama: big cup catch -> glance to base cup and back;  base cup catch -> glance to big cup, and back.
It's helped a lot. I first broke 100 catches like a week and a half ago, and for the past week I've been getting 130s-140s.
Enjoying progress--had forgotten what it was like for a bit.
(I've left the tama strung---not quick enough yet to make that grab when I miss, and I absolutely don't like chasing it ;-)

LarsVegas

For the first time ever I broke the 300 barrier. 529 in my first attempt tonight at exactly 130 bpm - stringless. It really does miracles. Now I'm a little bit more optimistic for Saturday's exam.
EKO 2012 - European Beginner Champion

BKA

Hooray! Good luck Lars!

the milky oolong

Quote from: LarsVegas on 15 September, 2014, 18:38:49
For the first time ever I broke the 300 barrier. 529 in my first attempt tonight at exactly 130 bpm - stringless. It really does miracles. Now I'm a little bit more optimistic for Saturday's exam.

Best of luck, Lars! Just relax and breathe, don't think too much, and make sure the backdrop at your ken-hand-level is generic and bland (no drastic changes of colour, no lights, especially no blinking ones) - I did my Moshikame at the EKO this year, and the first time I tried I started with an annoying two-level background of concrete and dark blue curtain in front of me; I lasted about 75 Moshis. The next chance I got was in the park with the bare earth framing my ken-hand, and I landed 785. Maybe it's just me, but a busy background is killer in my opinion.
Kendama Berlin
German Kendama Open 2014: 1st Place Speed Trick, 2nd Place Knockout
German Kendama Championships 2015: 3rd Place Speed Trick
KEN FEST Hannover, 2016: 3rd Place KEN Battle
KENDAMA CLASH Berlin 2016: 1st Place Intermediate

shalafi

Until now I've been doing this trick out of focus and most of the times counting in my head, even in the cases when I had a judge or my app to count for me.

I've decided to try the music approach, and for that I've been checking some songs. My moshi-kame song is going to be Everlong, by Foof Fighters, which has 145 bpm ;-)

The math says that if I do all the song I do 655 moshi-kames, which is enough for 3rd Dan, but I'll put it in repeat mode, just in case I got a chance to do 1000.
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.