News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Moshi Kame

Started by The Void, 13 November, 2012, 00:58:50

Previous topic - Next topic

The Void

I just realised there's not been a thread about this trick yet. Perhaps this vid is a good way to start one.
- All Japan moshikame competition 11.11.2012.

12 minutes is the longest I've ever gone for, and never tried to go further. So, what drives you to try longer runs? Why does this ultimately simple trick hold such a fascination? Is it right that you need to master it to get the high Dan gradings?

What do you all think? Discuss!
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

SamB

1000 at the EJC with one of the Danes' blue stringless oozoras is my record and thankfully recorded in the Dan grading. How did I do that? Here is a list of things that I think helped:

a) I think that kendama was magic because, well, have you seen those guys play?
b) I had been practicing moshi kame most days.
c) I had been playing kendama non-stop for at least 2 days so was very well practiced generally.
d) STRINGLESS - No tangling so don't have to think about hole control
e) KNEES - Still surprises me the terrible throw you can catch by just bending your knees (and great excercise!)
f) CONCENTRATE - Every catch is important, mess one up and it's over.
g) RELAX - It's just you, the kendama and the moshi kame, forget everything else, become at one mannnnnn..........

Going for hours though? I have no idea. I imagine it involves straight up training, a lot, every day, like similar to an endurance race or something.
BKO 2011 - 2nd, SRC 2011 - 2nd,  SRC 2012 - 2nd, EJC 2012 (unicorns) - 2nd, SRC 2013 - 2nd, BKO 2013 - 3rd - Always the bridesmaid...

The Void

Moshe fight at London convention?! :D
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

The Void

Quote from: SamB on 21 November, 2012, 15:09:05e) KNEES - Still surprises me the terrible throw you can catch by just bending your knees (and great excercise!)
f) CONCENTRATE - Every catch is important, mess one up and it's over.
g) RELAX - It's just you, the kendama and the moshi kame, forget everything else, become at one mannnnnn..........

Going for hours though? I have no idea. I imagine it involves straight up training, a lot, every day, like similar to an endurance race or something.
Yep. Knees are still used, but less conspicuously.  You could view "concentrate" and "relax" as being contradictory, but I know what Sam means. I'll add
H) Listen to music on headphones. It will enable you to feel relaxed, and help to block out all extraneous distractions, so you can just focus on the clicking.
I) Posture. Keep yourself evenly balanced on both feet. Relax the shoulders - don't let them hunch up. Keep your elbow level with the side of your body (i.e. Not too far forwards or backwards), and your hand close to the centre of your body, and not too high.

I just did my first endurance run since Poland, and got 7 minutes. Probably borderline as to whether I got the 1000 that I should theoretically be able to do! :)

SamB

I'm not sure how moshi fight would work -  like clubs gladiators but moshi kame? Or are we going for the 6 1/2 hour record?

I wouldn't moshi kame with headphones on though, I think not hearing the click would throw me off. But after watching that video it seems they try to keep good posture throughout so I think that is a good tip.
To answer the question of why do it, I think it is a simple trick that anyone can do within their first kendama session and it's very measurable compared to any other trick so you can directly see yourself progress as your record increases. It also teaches you the Japanese way to play kendama which I always think of just focussing on a simple action and not much else. I guess I'd do it because it's the traditional way and the Dan gradings give a very good target.
BKO 2011 - 2nd, SRC 2011 - 2nd,  SRC 2012 - 2nd, EJC 2012 (unicorns) - 2nd, SRC 2013 - 2nd, BKO 2013 - 3rd - Always the bridesmaid...

The Void

Oh, I just meant an endurance battle. :)

AlexSmith

The only time I have ever practised moshikame was pre-EJC 2012, its fun to click a little moshikame here and there, but I'm not one to go deep into a 'kame sesh. I may practise again if I go to EJC 2013, but for now I'm more interested in more creative tricks.

mahoto

This movie is uploaded myself.
(My name is Mahoto Tsukaguchi).

I think in the world, such a form of competition is very seldom.
Moshikame is big dish and small dish continuous,very simple.
About 10 minutes played, moshikame's form is a little out of order.
at this time, you fall the ball.

Japanese competition think heavily playing kendama exactly.
this Kendama competition's main long time member are almost over Kendama  5 dan.

non-Japanse Kendama competiton, such a competition is very seldom, I think.
Moshikame  is Japan own culture,I think.

BKA

Hello Mahoto-san,
Welcome to the forum.

In the UK, sometimes we have a Moshi Kame competition at the BKO. But it usually only lasts for 5 minutes! :-)

Kev

As we've been talking Moshi Kame elsewhere on the forum today I thought it might be nice to post in the trick listing for it.

The thing that's hardest for me about getting a long run seems to be my grip slipping once I've been clicking away for a while. To try and keep the grip locked and steady I use a pen grip variant where my ring finger and little finger rest across both edges of the small cup while my middle finger tucks in on the opposite side of the Sarado to my index finger and thumb. Have a look here:

Slight odd looking angle but the only shot I could get where you can see all fingers at once!

I'm interested to see / hear about the grip you use. Do any of you have a similar issue? How do you solve it?

PS - anyone think we should move those latest comments in the 'Today I ...' thread to this one re: moshi tips? Might be useful to collect it all together. If so how can this be done?

BKA

We can move entire posts across, but all those posts seem to have an "And also" bit on another subject, so those would be lostvfrom the threads where they belong. If people want to make a post in this thread, they can then edit out the Moshi sections from their Today I posts, and edit them into this thread.

BKA

We can move entire posts across, but all those posts seem to have an "And also" bit on another subject, so those would be lost from the threads where they belong. If people want to make a post in this thread, they can then edit out the Moshi sections from their Today I posts, and edit them into this thread.

Or we could do this:
Quote from: Cliffdama on 16 December, 2013, 12:09:58I suck at moshi kame :o.
Quote from: Kev on 16 December, 2013, 14:07:04It's been said somewhere on the forum that it's the Moshi's that get 'em every time. It's definitely the area I'm weakest on so have been trying to practice on a near daily basis. Thing is, although I'm really trying to learn to love Moshi Kame - I can't stand doing it, I find it annoying, boring and uncomfortable after a time. Of course, this attitude isn't going to help me get on the Dan table so I've been trying to make friends with the Moshi Monster!

Something that may be helpful (it was for me) is to not count the catches just note the time. For me this helps me focus in on the trick and relax into it better as I'm not counting.

Once you're rocking around 135bpm you know that 1 min = 135 catches so just set yourself a time to Moshi for. Say for example you're going for 1st Dan, practice for 2 mins at 135bpm you will have done 270 which is 70 more than the required 200. This way seems to work for me and you get that bit of extra practice going beyond your target.

For some reason 2 mins of Moshi seems so much more achievable than 200 catches. Weird huh?
Quote from: The Void on 16 December, 2013, 14:16:55...yeah, +1 for what Kev said about timing your Moshis, not counting them. Put on some nice tunes and just click away at (a bit faster than)  the required pace.
Quote from: HansNickmans on 16 December, 2013, 18:45:17On the moshikame, I practiced with a 135 bpm beat in my ears (no music, just the beat). And I count everytime I hit base cup, then you only have to do half :-) And there's the fun of multiplying afterwards :-) With that technique, I got my 200 moshikame first try in Toulouse (my second try was horrible).

With that beat, I kinda zone out after a hundred catches. And suddenly you wake up and you're around 450 (only happened once).

Kev

Nice one. Was intending on doing that but you beat me to it.

talincrow

I would like to clarify what constitutes as "one" moshi kame? I've been trying to practice the Dan ladders to get consistency and familiarity with them, but I've never quite understood what 500 moshi kames are. Is "one" moshi kame one catch (i.e. just big cup) or is it a set (big cup+small cup) or like (big cup+small cup+big cup)? I hope this makes sense!

BKA

Each cup catch is one.