News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Kaleb Kendamas?

Started by AlexSmith, 28 July, 2011, 20:04:29

Previous topic - Next topic

AlexSmith

Anyone seen these before? Just stumbled across them....

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_automotive?_encoding=UTF8&node=15684181&field-brandtextbin=Kaleb%20USA

Kaleb Kendamas. They appear only to come in striped variations other than the woodgrain.

The Void

I've not seen them before, but then that's not that surprising since they're advertised in the "automotive" section. Seems to be a car accessories company, at a quick glance. Not sure why they would have headed into kendama territory - maybe someone who works there is keen. They haven't got a brilliant feedback rating, so I'd steer clear if I were you, at least until you hear something further about the brand.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

Looby

They look faaaaaaaaaaar too shiny.

KourageDama

So I was roaming eBay to find some kendamas. And I stumbled upon 2 different company's of Kendamas. Momma Kendamas and Kaleb Kendamas. I've never heard of these company's before but it seems they are both of the USA.
Has anyone had experience with these kendamas before?

Momma Kendamas: http://www.mommakendama.com/
Kaleb Kendamas: http://www.kalebusa.com/

P.S. I'm not trying to advertise these company's on here. I just want to know if anyone has ever played with them.

AlexSmith

I don't like the looks of it... My first guess if they are legit is rebranded sunrise though.
A couple things about the Momma Damas... Their 'size chart' seems off, says the sarado is only 2.5" wide? So either these are a little smaller or they messed up, cause I can tell you the dimensions of a dama to the thousanth of an inch after all the ones I've made, and the sarado should be 2.75" wide.
Second thing is their URL is laser engraved into the grip stall? Reeally not a fan of the sounds of that.

I've seen Kaleb before, but this is the first time I've seen Momma. My guess? They're maybe legit, but if they are I'm still not going to buy one. There are many brands actively involved in the dama community (online or otherwise), they're the ones who you know are owned by dama players who understand the scene and are working to promote it and improve their products. I'm guessing these brands are owned by someone merely interested in making a little capital off the potential next 'big thing' in America. I would love for someone to prove me wrong here though.

Harrydh3

http://www.mommakendama.com/Naked-Kendama-p/tk-1_nt.htm

says theyre 2.75 here.

looks sound to me and i really love the designs but my hang up is that there not well known enough. and i'd be reluctant to send my monies over the interwebs to people i nor anybody else know nothing about

Kendama Co

Both are manufactured in China so not sunrsies.. I have been wondering the same thing about the quality, if anyone tries one let me know!

John

Goodness, those tamas with smiley emoticons painted on them are quite irritating! Both websites seem to sell them, so I'm guessing it's the same company underneath. They seem more like a novelty shop than a "serious" kendama store, with the rubber tamas and all - I remember playing with one of those at the Ballring last year, David brought it over. It was pretty much impossible to not be able to land a lighthouse on one of those badboys. Don't think I'll be buying one any time soon, though. "There ain't no clicking if the tama keeps sticking", and all that!

John

That said, "Momma Kendama" (!) does sell Oozoras, including galaxies and dragons so maybe you can pick up some decent gear from them after all..

FunkeyKong101

Quote from: AlexSmith on 28 July, 2011, 20:04:29
Anyone seen these before? Just stumbled across them....

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_automotive?_encoding=UTF8&node=15684181&field-brandtextbin=Kaleb%20USA

Kaleb Kendamas. They appear only to come in striped variations other than the woodgrain.

My cousin owns one. They do not only come in stripes. There's some websites, MIGHT be KalebKendamas.com, sells them with smileys.

axel.aas.12

What do you guys think of Kaleb Kendamas? Honestly I do not like them. The main reason being that its an mediocre quality kendama with a stupid design on the ball. The second reason being that everyone at my school has a Kaleb. Almost all Kalebs. I get sick of seeing them. What do you think about them?
Working on lunar flips.

Wu Tang Forever!

BKA

quadraptor

I hope you guys don't mind me providing some details on a Kaleb Kendama -

The one I purchased was $15 USD (roughly 10 Euros or 8.92 GBP), rubberized paint, 'beechwood' tama.  According to the Amazon description -

"Approximate Specifications:
Weight: 160g
Ball Weight: 85g
Ball Diameter: 60mm
Height Including Ball: 185mm
Stem Height: 165mm"

A few additional notes -

- The only glaringly odd thing about the kendama is that the holes for the string are not centered like I'm used to seeing them, but rather are located a little upward toward the spike.  You'll see what I mean in the third picture above After looking at the pictures of other companies' kendamas in the 'new arrivals' thread, it has come to my attention that it is very common for the hole to be located there as opposed to the center like my Tribute...

- Comparing the cups to my Kendama USA Tribute, they are slightly, slightly larger.  I can get you guys a measurement if you'd like me to.

- The wood felt a little strange at first when I held it, like it was a little more grainy than the Tribute, but it's not bad.

- It actually plays pretty nicely, for a rubberized paint.  I wanted to use this kendama to learn lighthouse and possibly lunar, but was having a difficult, if not seemingly impossible, time even getting them to stick when I tried them on my Tribute.

- You get a Kaleb Kendama sticker and an extra string that is included with the kendama.

So overall, just from my amateur opinion, it's not a bad kendama, probably a decent, inexpensive one to suggest to new players who are still learning the basics, but as far as competition I doubt you guys would be impressed with it.  I will say I was not impressed with their website, as it just lists all the kendamas they have available, and when you click one, it sends you to a PayPal order.  They don't have any info whatsoever about their history, location, how to play, ect. like the other brands do. 

Let me know if there's any other info you'd like to know.