News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Introduce yourself!

Started by BKA, 24 June, 2011, 15:09:04

Previous topic - Next topic

fuverdred

@The Void Yeah Monday will suit, I'll head over then!

Sowdz

Hi everyone, I'm  Marc I've been using kendama for 7 days now... Me and a friend in work have both started at the same time, we both bought dragon kendamas..... We have all tricks in kyu table reasonably consistent now and can both land a few combos, there's just one trick that eludes us at the minute the lighthouse, dam it's frustrating our balance is good but I can't get it to stay on the Tama... The paint seems really shiny and slippery and flaked off in places. Do you have a suggestions on a better quality kendama as I'm hooked???? Thanks gentleman looking forward to sharing our journey

The Void

@Sowdz Hi Marc,
Welcome to the forum.
I know how you feel about Lighthouses. I originally learnt on a stained kendama, no grip there. My advice is... don't rush in to thinking that a new kendama is the answer. If you guys have got as far as you have in just a week, honestly you're doing really well! Sure, you can get a kendama with a grippier surface, which might help you get a trick or two, but that won't make you a better player....
Relax your grip! A lot of people are trying so hard for their first lighthouse, that they're gripping too hard, which tenses their muscles. Try some softness, and breathe! If you can get a Lighthouse on a slippy kendama, then that *will* make you a better player. :-)
Stick with it for a while more, and if you still think you want to try a new model, then have a read of the What To Buy subforum, to get some ideas.
Cheers
Void
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

Sowdz

@The Void Hi, thanks for your reply advice taken. Have a look at my instagram (Sowdz86) I've put a couple of videos on see how you think we are progressing?!! This is the sort of thing we are doing after a week....!!! I think we are doing well but don't really know got nothing or no one to compare to.. My best move sofar which I've landed properly 4 times now is.... I do a Aeroplane then make the ken do one flip and catch back in the hole. Thanks void 

The Void

@Sowdz I checked them out. Nice smooth handroll! That's quite impressive for someone so new.
Quite hard to make any definitive judgements from a couple of clips, but you seem to be doing okay. Classic thing I always say to all newbies though....

MORE KNEES!

I can see you *are* using your knees, but if you can try to get into the habit at this early stage of really exagerating all sinking movements, that will really serve you well down the road.

If you can, a really great plan would be to try to find and meet up with some other players near you. It's by far the best way of progressing, and there are so many subtleties and tiny tips that you can pick up in person, that just don't come across, or even get noticed in text.
Whereabouts are you? And, you know about the Member Map, right? http://kendama.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=googlemap See if there's anyone near you, but also, add yourself! More pins = more friends for everyone. :-)
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

Sowdz

@The Void Thanks for the pointers, will work on exaggerating the knee movements this week... I know what you mean, sometimes when doing swing-in the hole rotates over quite slowly forcing you to catch the ball closer to the floor...  (bending knees alot).

I'm near Plymouth I seen on the pins map there are a few members pins.

Also I've noticed the dama is becoming more grippy the more dents that are appearing on it.

Hopefully me and my mate will be looking for our first grading in a couple months....   

Once again many thanks

jacksohigh

hi my names Jack Roberts and i have been playing kendama around 1 year, BKO 2017 was my first event and i was happy to get first KYU in my grading with 'the void'.
originally from Ramsgate in Kent, now travelling with my rollerblades and kendama's.
love how contagious and addictive playing dama is and i enjoy getting new people into it.
instagram- @jacksohigh

BKA

Hey Jack, @jacksohigh
Welcome to the forum! We've added your grading to your profile, and we'll also get it onto the register soon. Stay addicted, and keep spreading the love!

Dice126

so for those who dont know me my name is Dice im 24 and have been playing religiously since november 2016
im from swansea south wales and im a photographer by trade and i enjoy taking photographs and making videos

The Void

Yay, you joined the forum, @Dice126 ! Good to have you aboard. :)

Dice126

thanks void im still very new to forum lay outs but anything to be more involved with kendama :)

cyshing

Hello, I am from Malaysia. Just a beginner. Got an Ozora a few years ago after joining a youth event. But after learning a few beginner tricks I just put it aside somehow. Recently I am just trying to pick up a something fun to play with and to improve my hand-eye coordination and maybe to relax my mind, somehow I find that kendama seems more interesting to me now than back then. The kendama online community in Malaysia doesn't seem to be active, so here I am. :)

Already 1 month since I picked up the Kendama again and bought cheaper kendama with rubber grip, just doing slowly but that's fine to me, just wanted to have fun and relax. ;) Nice to meet you guys and girls.

The Void

Hi @cyshing , you're very welcome here! Glad to have you on board. Hope you find lots of information and inspiration here.
Cheers!

cyshing

@The Void Thank you very much. I believe I will learn much here.  ;D

spadgy

Hey all. Great to be here.

Like many Kendama players, I sense, I'm a devoted yo-yoer who long eyed kendama and thought 'can it really give me what yo-yos do?'.

Then, when spotting a reduced Royal at the Yoyovillage store at this year's UK Yo-Yo Nationals, I thought I should find out. I was instantly infatuated, and while I still love yo-yos, what I get from Kendama is so much more meditative, chill and distinct. I'm now a man obsessed.

Other than that, I work as a video games journalist here in the UK full time and now do all sorts else in the games industry (awards judging, game script editing, research, event production, speaking, blah blah). I also do a bit of writing about LEGO and board games for various places (yep, that's really part of how I make a living), still skateboard badly at 37, am wildly obsessed with arcade gaming (actually at arcades), and I guess as I just had my first book out (about Raspberry Pi) that makes me an 'author'... but I don't feel good enough at that yet to throw that word around! Oh - and I'm RNLI volunteer launch crew down where I live in Hastings.

So, basically, crap at accepting adulthood, and nearly 40!