News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

The "Cup of tea" trick

Started by The Void, 05 July, 2011, 10:47:57

Previous topic - Next topic

The Void

So, here's the idea:
You keep a kendama in your kitchen, next to your kettle. Whenever you want a cup of tea[nb]/coffee/milkshake/beer/insert your favourite beverage here[/nb], you have to perform your own nominated Cup Of Tea Trick before you're allowed one. The idea is to Beat The Kettle - nail the trick before it boils. This should give you enough time to challenge yourself with a trick that is just on the edge of your skill level.

Once you can Beat The Kettle every time, then it's obviously time to upgrade your COTT. It's a nice way of a) remembering to get at least a little hit of kendama every day, and b) keep challenging yourself with the kendama.

Currently my COTT is Speed Trick B (see here), as I'm trying to get to 4th Dan, but it could be as simple as Spike or Aeroplane if you're just starting out.

So, what's your current thirst quencher?

#cupoftea #cott
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

Dave

My COTT is also speed trick B at the moment although I do drop onto tunbridge wells sections time to time.
BALL AND CUP!

sunnyD

current COTT is lighthouse>falling down>lighthouse
How much water to put in the kettle for competition rules to apply......also Time Of Day (TOdai)

For the caffeine heads on the forum: COCT is currently speed trick A before the expresso and milk machine does it stuff for a single cup.
Speed trick B is the BBT (Brew Beer Trick) which is how long it would take to nail that one.

AlexSmith

This is a neat idea... I have sort of been doing something similair for awhile now. Basically just have a dama sitting on the dresser at the entrance of my room, almost every time I enter/exit my room I see it sitting there and pick it up to do a trick or two. I'll usually have a little line of tricks I get stuck on and will practise often - so its sort of similar to the COTT. I just need a timed activity to couple with my dama! haha

Roam

Excellent idea shame I don't drink tea or coffee :o, Will have to think of something similar to do.
Obama can't Kendama

Dave

i also do speed trick B and speed trick challenge when anything goes in the microwave. That way you have a handy timer!!!!
BALL AND CUP!

Harrydh3

I dont do that but i have a little rule that whenever i pick up my 'dama I do arround usa before even thinking about putting it down... And its usually right next to me :)

Mark

Quote from: Dave on 07 July, 2011, 17:22:06
i also do speed trick B and speed trick challenge when anything goes in the microwave. That way you have a handy timer!!!!
Great idea!
British STC: 2008 - 1st ....  2009 - 2nd ... 2011 - 4th
British Advanced Championship: 2011 - 4th

By markool89 at 2011-08-06

circusfreak

New home for my Kendama next to the kettle!!

I have been using mine to help give up smoking. At work my old fag break is now a 15 min Kendama practice.
Just a shame to have to go back to work.

BatDancer

I have a number of tricks... Furiken, Around the Village, Around the Prefecture which I know I can land, but I need to work on the consistency...

Willem

I don't drink tea, coffee, or anyting that needs water to be boiled, so I do this while waiting for the bus or during the duration of a song.  These are just some other ideas to think about.

The Void

For sure! A kendama is great in that it's a 'pocket toy', and so can be used almost anywhere when you find yourself with a couple of minutes to spare. So yeah, it can also be a "bus stop" or "train platform" or "queueing" trick.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

John

It's all about the bus-stop challenge for me. Did my first ever bird-over-the-valley, swing-in lighthouse to somersault and numerous other tricks whilst waiting for the D bus. Sometimes I even time it so I just miss the bus to give me more time to play. :) Or on others, I am mobbed by schoolkids who simply must land a spike before they can continue their walk home...

John.

Adam K

Why what a lovely idea! I'll set around the prefecture as my trick for short units of time (less than a minute in the microwave) and airplane as my trick for longer units of time (more than a minute for anything). Oddly enough, I'd been doing something similar whenever I was about to leave the house anyways. Certainly a great way to arrive late to things!

shalafi

Hi, I love the idea.

I usually switch between:

Big Cup > Spike > Big Cup > Spike > Big Cup > Spike
Bird
Around Europe

But I think I am going too put new ones

Scoop the Spike > Lighthouse
Jumping Stick
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.