News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Stuck between some Kendama Choices

Started by j4dude, 05 January, 2014, 06:30:40

Previous topic - Next topic

j4dude

So I'm looking to buy another Kendama and I am sort of stuck on some choices.  I was looking at KROM, Hardwood Ozora's and some Sweets Kendamas.  From what I've read, it sounds like KROM is pretty nice, but some people had paint issues with the mint (not sure about other paints).  I have only heard good things about the Hardwoods and as for Sweets, there is too many to choose from.

I have about 45 dollars to spend, so if there is any other companies worth checking out, please let me know!

SIDE NOTE:  My friend was looking at a Steeze Kendama as his first buy.  I have not tried one yet, but are they any good?

axel.aas.12

steeze are ver nice, the snowballs have pretty sticky paint. and about your kendama, it depends. do you already have others?
Working on lunar flips.

Wu Tang Forever!

br4d24

I have heard from many great kendama players (including a pro that isnt affiliated with sweets) that they shred hard! Highly recommend one of those, they are maple btw. Also, I own an enjyu and it plays super good - the pagoda wood looks and feels amazing!

Also, steeze are good kendamas and Cole is a great guy! That being said, for the same price there are other great choices - I would also suggest a kendama without a super sticky surface as a first buy, learning on a slicker dama teaches you wayy more. I would suggest either a natty/painted zen, JKA seal or Play.

j4dude

Quote from: axel.aas.12 on 05 January, 2014, 17:31:14
steeze are ver nice, the snowballs have pretty sticky paint. and about your kendama, it depends. do you already have others?

Yeah I have others.  I have a couple JKA approved Ozoras.

HansNickmans

Depends on what you want to do with them I think.

The KROM hardwoods are great! But don't expect them to be instant lunar magnets, I've found that my red oak is best for whirlwinds and other flipping kind of stuff. The weight makes it very well balanced. Don't know about the walnut/mint ones though.

I heard nothing but good things from the hardwood oozora's, although I think the same as above applies, with a non-paint tama needing more time to break in properly.

I have a Sweets Focus, from the Frost line, and my feel is that it remains a solid kendama, and good for allround tricks. I called it the 'tank' of my collection. Although the ken has been redesigned since, I think it still applies. I had a lot of fun with it, and learned a lot.

Depends on where you're based as well, in the USA I guess Sweets is the closest and easiest to get your hands on, although KendamaUSA is holding the other types you speak of as well.

Whichever one you end up with, I think all of these choices are good damas. But it remains a personal preference, and you'll always need some time to adjust to a new kendama.

Kendama Belgium!

j4dude

Quote from: HansNickmans on 06 January, 2014, 11:31:16
Depends on what you want to do with them I think.

The KROM hardwoods are great! But don't expect them to be instant lunar magnets, I've found that my red oak is best for whirlwinds and other flipping kind of stuff. The weight makes it very well balanced. Don't know about the walnut/mint ones though.

I heard nothing but good things from the hardwood oozora's, although I think the same as above applies, with a non-paint tama needing more time to break in properly.

I have a Sweets Focus, from the Frost line, and my feel is that it remains a solid kendama, and good for allround tricks. I called it the 'tank' of my collection. Although the ken has been redesigned since, I think it still applies. I had a lot of fun with it, and learned a lot.

Depends on where you're based as well, in the USA I guess Sweets is the closest and easiest to get your hands on, although KendamaUSA is holding the other types you speak of as well.

Whichever one you end up with, I think all of these choices are good damas. But it remains a personal preference, and you'll always need some time to adjust to a new kendama.

Thanks for the advice!  Are there any other companies that you would suggest?  Just to check out a wide range of choices.

PikWik

good to see brad back and posting  8)

id recommend getting a sweets sometime in your kendama ventures. great kendama that may be a bit heavier but very playable. if i was looking at a sweets right now, id get a homegrown or an atack.

i just got a zen and a 2013 play about a week ago from kendamaco. really enjoy both and could lunar with each right out the box. id be fooling myself to say i didnt look into buying a play after seeing will t's edits. such a great kendama with tough paint. id rate the 2013 play's paint the same as my OG ozora paint. feels almost identical to the OG but "softer" on the 2013. like, theres a few more layers to the paint.

the zen from kendamaco is equally playable and a tad stickier than the play. one thing i noticed was how well balanced the zen was. 71g tama and 70g ken. perfect weighting if you ask me. between 70g~75g is what i prefer the ken/tama to be. both the zen and the 2013 play's tamas are perfectly round spheres (maybe even a little fat on the sides) which helps immensely with balance tricks and birds.

happygoat

Are there any other companies that you would suggest?  Just to check out a wide range of choices.

Hi,

You are welcome to check out our Ultra's...there's a discount on our new models here in January.

www.ultrakendama.dk

Kendama Europe

Kendama production and shop since 2008 at
https://www.kendama.de/en

Kendama - easy to learn, hard to master