News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Can't decide on new kendama...

Started by Persuasian, 26 February, 2015, 01:12:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Which kendama?

Kaizen beech wood with silk paint
1 (12.5%)
Ozora Natural
4 (50%)
Kendama with cherry wood
3 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Persuasian

So my first kendama is a Classic Kendama - Blue made of birch wood. The paint chips fairly easily and recently the cups became very loose after about 3 months of moderate use. Recently I dropped it, and a piece of the wood chipped off and it is just so worn down for me. My friends recommended on getting a Kaizen or Ozora, and i have decided on getting either a Kaizen made of Beech wood and with silk paint. I would get a  kendama made of cherry wood but it seems too expensive for me, even though I heard those are much more durable than beech and birch wood.
http://shop.kendamausa.com/collections/kaizen-silk/products/kaizen-beech-silk-pastel-blue
Or Ozora Natural
http://shop.kendamausa.com/collections/ozora/products/ozora-kendama-woodgrain

I've been trying to learn moves like kenflip and gunslinger since I have the basics mostly down.

P.S. Sorry for the ridiculously long paragraph and thanks in advance!

Leologic777

Hi, Welcome to the forum! (im kinda new too)
In your poll i picked the cherry. I picked it because it is very durable. Which one are you getting though? The cups don't wear easily and it is very strong.

Leo
Getting Better!- 11 Kendama's- Been playing for 9 months

Persuasian

Thanks for your opinion!
I haven't decided yet. My friend has the Kaizen so I might try it out and see if I like it and another friend of mine has the cherry so I'll definitely try both of them out for myself, but I thought I'd like to see peoples' opinions on those 3 kendamas I'm trying to decide on

Kev

Personally I don't think Cherry is especially any more durable than Beech.

All kendamas wear out. I'd argue that a well worn in kendama is the best to play too.

From your choices I'd go for a Natural Ozora - my favourite kendama of all time.

The Kaizen look nice but I've not played one myself although Im sure they'll be decent as the people that make them know what they're on about.

Tipping the balance in favour of the Ozora is that it is a BKA / JKA approaved kendama so if gradings are important to you then you should get that as a Kaizen would currently not be allowed.

Why not get one now and the other when it need replacing?

Don't sweat it too much, it's not a big decision. Just get playing and have fun!

shalafi

Quote from: Kev on 26 February, 2015, 09:51:26
All kendamas wear out. I'd argue that a well worn in kendama is the best to play too.

I agree

From your choices I'd go for a Natural Ozora - my favourite kendama of all time.

The Kaizen look nice but I've not played one myself although Im sure they'll be decent as the people that make them know what they're on about.

Tipping the balance in favour of the Ozora is that it is a BKA / JKA approaved kendama so if gradings are important to you then you should get that as a Kaizen would currently not be allowed.

I'm not particularly fan of natural wood kendamas, but Ozora is my favorite kendama within the "affordable" range (that is, under 50 EUR).

Why not get one now and the other when it need replacing?

Don't sweat it too much, it's not a big decision. Just get playing and have fun!
Agree again, if you play enough you'll wear out that one, then you can play the other, then you'll have tried both :)
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

Persuasian

Thanks for your opinions! I guess I was so caught up with the kendamas that I forgot about the reason I was buying them in the first place. So, thanks for reminding me Kev and shalafi!

BenBenVx

I'd go for the natty or the cherry. I was keen for a kaizen but after finally playing on [user]Dimensions[/user] at LKO last week, I was massively unimpressed and glad I never purchased one. I found the tama to be so light it felt like it wasn't even attached to the ken. I prefer I heavier more sturdy setup. Each to there own though, go with what you feel is right for you....

Dimensions

Well if your going to go for a kaizen I would go for a natty cherry, I've never played with one but from what I have played with I would hope it to be a) heavier and b) no tama trouble paint wise
But the decision is all yours

Don't go for a transulcant
-Rob
Shameless Self-Promotion:
http://www.youtube.com/user/escapees6

BenBenVx

id go with the purple heart if I was getting a kaizen.. and defo 100% DONT get translucent paint lol

Leologic777

What did you end up getting? Sorry just wondering.

-Leo ;D

MelkyReb

NATTY OZORA! I love how these play and break in. Ozoras are one of the top performers in the vast world of kendama. I have 5 of them, all broken in, about to cop another one soon. Honestly, you cant go wrong with either but my preference is that natty ozora. Also, my cherry natty kaizen is wayyyyy off. Tama = 93.5 Ken= 81.2
Addicted to Kendama since 2013! Better than any drug out there... :o

Leologic777

Nice pick! I have yet to try ab Oozora and im nine months in (yeah ik its ridiculous). Sorry for the bad pick there. At that time I was really obsessed with wanting a cherry  but I guess I was right not to get one. I also couldn't judge Oozoras cuz ive never played one. Im going to try to make an Oozora my next dama.

-Leo ;D

MelkyReb

Oops i accidentally replied.
:(
Can a mod remove this please?
I am truly sorry.

MelkyReb

Quote from: Leologic777 on 05 April, 2015, 14:42:29
Nice pick! I have yet to try ab Oozora and im nine months in (yeah ik its ridiculous). Sorry for the bad pick there. At that time I was really obsessed with wanting a cherry  but I guess I was right not to get one. I also couldn't judge Oozoras cuz ive never played one. Im going to try to make an Oozora my next dama.

-Leo ;D
Good choice @Leologic777 . You won't be disappointed, especially with a natty.  ;)

shalafi

Quote from: MelkyReb on 05 April, 2015, 21:02:53
Oops i accidentally replied.
:(
Can a mod remove this please?
I am truly sorry.
You can edit your post.
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.