News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

The ever popular "Today I..." thread

Started by BatDancer, 04 July, 2011, 21:24:24

Previous topic - Next topic

John

Yeesh, that's a LOT of clicking PAshaRome... props to you, sir.

Today, I failed for the uncountable-th time to do horse under the valley, or stilts over the valley or however you butter your bread - I've been trying for weeks now and still no moment of success. Gah!
It's getting to the stage where I'm considering magnets...

The Void

Pasha, that's really impressive!
Quote from: The Void on 15 February, 2012, 14:49:38
Quote from: The Void on 14 February, 2012, 18:44:07Today I did BKO 2012 advanced with 8 misses. Still practising.....

A good day all in all, I also managed 13 Jumping Sticks in a row (my record) and 4 Moon Circles in a row too.
Failed 4th Dan only on Moshi Kame... 30!  :o

John - yep, I can't get the Stiltwalk going either.

Donald.... are you doing Matty impressions? ;)
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

FilthyTown

Quote from: PAshaRome on 25 February, 2012, 19:38:26

Today I  hit 2272 moshikame

Wow.  For some reason I get to about 100 and my brain gets all tangled up. haha

John

Void, what's a moon circle? Is that the trick Dave and Sam (I think) were doing at the southern finals where you spin a moon landing horizontally with your finger?

BKA

No, not that one. It's for Toby to name that one, since he invented it.

Moon Circle is the translation of Engetsu Sappou, aka Suicide Swing In. Guy mentioned that where the community seems to have settled on a trick name, then it probably makes sense to go down that route (eg Stilts for Bamboo Horse, Spacewalk for Suicide Aeroplane, etc).

ChrisD

Quote from: The Void on 24 February, 2012, 11:18:22

@ChrisD: Well done, I knew you'd get there! :D

Thanks for your confidence Void!  I must admit it seemed a big stopper to me for a long time, but Lighthouses are now coming with some regularity.  Today I've had a successful run of the BKO Beginners ladder to step 11 (3 misses accumulated) and then continuing to step 12 (5 misses accumulated1).   :)

Chris

1 is it a foul in Lighthouse if the string catches between the ball and ken (so the ken stands on the string as well as the ball)?  Scrub the above claim if so!

BKA

Quote from: ChrisD on 27 February, 2012, 13:41:42is it a foul in Lighthouse if the string catches between the ball and ken (so the ken stands on the string as well as the ball)?  Scrub the above claim if so!
No, that's fine by the BKA[nb]Not sure what the JKA think...[/nb]. That comes under the heading of "making it more difficult for yourself"!

John

Aaah yes, Toby, not Sam. It's been awhile, whoops! Thanks for the clarification of the trick, BKA.

I managed to hop from horse to horse for the first time... and then missed the spike. It didn't count anyway as I placed the horse with my hands to practice the jump... one day, horsie. One day. If I have any hair left. :)

donald grant

The madness continues......

Swing 1-turn to axe, to moon landing, to in.

My lovely old yellow sunrise is so forgiving!

The Void

Donald, what's your axe-to-moon technique? Is it a little 'nod', or do you do a spin too?
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

donald grant

On this particular combo, it was just "a nod" to moon (so astonished at pulling the first trick!).  Will let you know when axe-flip to moon comes to visit!  The way the old sunrise is playing at the moment, I get the feeling that anything is possible....:)

The Void

Quote from: The Void on 15 February, 2012, 15:25:29
Quote from: SamB on 15 February, 2012, 15:06:21
Quote from: The Void on 15 February, 2012, 14:49:38Today I did BKO 2012 advanced with 8 misses. Still practising.....
50.  :-\
The moon circle is not my friend atm. Also missed 2 aeroplanes. My target is to catch you up though Void.
I challenge you to have that down to 25 by Feb 25th (Bath Upchuck - you going?). Definitely doable with 1 or 2 daily runs.
Did you make it?

shalafi

Well, back to practicing, I am getting consistent with scoop big cup and whirliwind big cup, still having problems with the thumb trap.

Also, almost 250 moshi-kames and a successful pre-dan self certfication. Trying to push for that or even 1st dan on Lublin (if I find the time to go)
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

The Void

Nice one Shalafi.

My tips for the thumb trap.
I only worked out that (2) was what I do when someone asked me about it at Upchuck. Hope that helps!

SamB

Back on the BKO 2012 list and...
First try: 32 misses  (11 lunar misses)
Second try: 13 misses (spacewalk, lighthouse somersault, lunar lander and moon circle all first time!)

The practice is paying off!
BKO 2011 - 2nd, SRC 2011 - 2nd,  SRC 2012 - 2nd, EJC 2012 (unicorns) - 2nd, SRC 2013 - 2nd, BKO 2013 - 3rd - Always the bridesmaid...