News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

The ever popular "Today I..." thread

Started by BatDancer, 04 July, 2011, 21:24:24

Previous topic - Next topic

robin_bird

As a relative beginner, I was really pleased to land gunslinger last night for the first time.  The gunslinger that I was taught is slightly different.  You pull up the ball, do the gunslinger twirl and end on the spike. 

On Saturday, I landed bird for the first, (second, third, and forth time) and I did an earth turn with my left hand. 

PAshaRome

Bird over what? And return where?

UPD: "Slip Grip Special > Clifftop" (and back)

BKA

Robin, those are 2 different tricks: "Gunslinger" and "Gunslinger Spike". But well done on your progress. Have you tried self-certifying yourself at any of the official skill levels yet?

Pasha, there's no "Bird" in there at all. Another case of "name vs description". It's a transition between two tricks, so
"Slip Grip Special > Clifftop" (and back)
Nice one!

robin_bird

I haven't tried the official skill levels, yet, but I've been playing around with a bunch of tricks.  Maybe, I should give that a try.

By the way, I just took a 15 minute kendama break from work and landed stabbing heaven and scoop spike for the first time and a couple times after that. 

SamB

I love that trick Pasha. One of my greatest moments in kendama was accidentally pulling it off  at the SRC in front of everyone. There is a Japanese video online somewhere of a guy doing it back and forth 4 or 5 times but I can't find it. That may have the Japanese name on it.

Today I only got 200 moshi kames. Much more practice needed to beat any of the recent records here I reckon .....
BKO 2011 - 2nd, SRC 2011 - 2nd,  SRC 2012 - 2nd, EJC 2012 (unicorns) - 2nd, SRC 2013 - 2nd, BKO 2013 - 3rd - Always the bridesmaid...

The Void

You're referring to one of the Freedom Kendama videos, Sam. I can't remember which one, but they're both here:
Juggling.tv the online depository for Juggling Videos - run by Jugglers for Jugglers

200 is enough for 1st Dan - a step up for you. I only got 3m20 today, which is not enough for me to step up.

Nice going, Robin!
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

SamB

Found it!

" 極意渡り4回連続 " google translates to " Four times in a row over the secret ". So I guess you could call it over the secret?

Since that last post I got my first small cup lunar and came this close |-----| to my first lunar somersault!
BKO 2011 - 2nd, SRC 2011 - 2nd,  SRC 2012 - 2nd, EJC 2012 (unicorns) - 2nd, SRC 2013 - 2nd, BKO 2013 - 3rd - Always the bridesmaid...

PAshaRome

Fantastic video!

Btw, this evening 23 min 57 sec of moshikame, o-zara balancing and 4 sleepgripspecial in raw. o_O That a mad day!

Void, I found the name: Gokui Watari

shalafi

Changing the tricks a bit, yesterday I landed Fast Hand Big Cup and Fast Hand Base Cup.

Also I failed miserably to self-certify for Pre-dan. I have lots of problems in getting 5/10 swing-in. I think I have lighthouse more consistent. than my swing-in, shameful.
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

steffibearpaw

This night I finally reached the last "hard trick" of the EKO Beginners Trick Ladder... Trapeze acrobats!

First I exercised swinging some potato in a potholder  :) It is very useful for keeping  "alive" my Kendama and my windows  ;D
Thanks to Peter for this fantastic idea... I had a lot of fun with potato- juggling !

Lublin I'm coming!

John

Aaahh yes, slip-grip to clifftop is a very nice trick indeed, one I don't practice much at all. I've been far more pre-occupied since learning lunar flips, which give a very satisfying chunky click when they land. Not done 2 in a row yet, but I am a horrifically slow learner.

PAshaRome

Today i made 8 slip grip special in row...

PAshaRome

FilthyTown

Finally got the feel down for doing hanging 1-turn airplanes.

Now that the weather is getting nice its time to learn spacewalk/suicides!!

shalafi

Finally I managed to do small cup bird. Then I did again. Flying over the valley is one step closer.

Also, 280 moshikames, personal record, with a new stringless kendama, which makes it much easier.

And 4/10 jumping sticks, although I needed only 1/10 for my current target.
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.