News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

The ever popular "Today I..." thread

Started by BatDancer, 04 July, 2011, 21:24:24

Previous topic - Next topic

shalafi

Today I managed to do the "Speed Trick B" in under 5 minutes.

Not too bad considering that Around Europe and 1-turn aeroplane were on the edge of my skill not too long ago.
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

Thorny

Today I self-certified myself 2nd Dan! I was going to go for 3rd but thought the 500 Moshikame was a little daunting... but with some concentration (and a song by Modest Mouse for timing help) I reached 307 and then spiked it for my own final satisfaction!

Yay, me.  ;D

BKA

GbH

Just self-certificated 3rd Dan for first time.  A few dodgy moments, but somehow got through it.  620 moshies at that end, which the app verified exactly.   8)

FilthyTown

Probably a million posts like this but today I landed...

My first lunar flip lunar!

The Void

Good going Guy. It took me a week to get 4th Dan again after I last did it. Just had 2 days off kendama completely - must get back on the case. Need to get 4th to a "more often than not" stage to have any hope of doing it under exam conditions.

Filthy, that's something I really need to practise. My Moon Somersaults are usually crash-landings.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

SamB

After a rubbish week of kendama last week, this week is off to a great start with a PB moshi kame run of 520 and a PB on speed trick B of 51 seconds. The aim now is to self qualify 3rd Dan by the end of the week.  :D
BKO 2011 - 2nd, SRC 2011 - 2nd,  SRC 2012 - 2nd, EJC 2012 (unicorns) - 2nd, SRC 2013 - 2nd, BKO 2013 - 3rd - Always the bridesmaid...

The Void

Nice going Sam!
I just managed 4th Dan for the 2nd day in a row, although yesterday's was my second attempt of the day, so that probably shouldn't count.
Skin of my teeth on STB every time though.....
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

FilthyTown

Void STB is a strange one.  Some days I can bomb through it no problem other days it just gets the best of me.

Today I learned Axe's and 1-turn Axe.  Took me soooooo long to pull one off clean. >:(

SamB

Today I achieved my goal and self graded 3rd dan with 750 moshi kames (pb), 1:37 STB and 13 misses on the trick ladder!!!
Very pleased! The daily practice and trying new tricks is really paying off!
BKO 2011 - 2nd, SRC 2011 - 2nd,  SRC 2012 - 2nd, EJC 2012 (unicorns) - 2nd, SRC 2013 - 2nd, BKO 2013 - 3rd - Always the bridesmaid...

Dadooh

Today I managed the Dan Ladder with only 9 misses (personal record)  :D

Thorny

The day before yesterday I... managed trapeze to bird! :D
such a difficult stress inducing trick, but I managed to defeat it eventually.

The Void

Do you mean Trapeze Acrobats to Bird? Nice job, if so!

Although tricks that start with that 'hanging loaded swirl' are called Whirlpool (Uzushio/うずしお) tricks, e.g.
http://www19.atwiki.jp/shakemid/pages/842.html (But confusingly, Trapeze Acrobats is not "Whirlpool Base Cup"..... maybe because it doesn't have the fast catch (Faster Than..?) bit in there?)

Today I clocked my fastest STB time of 43 seconds, including one miss, so still room for improvement. (But I still failed 4th Dan :-/)

Thorny

Cheers for clarifying that Void. I had a fast catch in there, so think in that case what I managed would have been 'Whirlpool Bird'?
There was no swing to bird afterward releasing the 'hanging loaded swirl'... I actually never even considered that, truth be told.
Hard luck on not achieving 4th Dan, mate. At least you set a new personal best with the STB!

The Void

Whirlpool Bird it is then. Sweet!

Cheers, I managed 4th Dan the next day with a 48sec STB, so I'm not too gutted. :-) Of course, this self-certification malarkey is all very well, but it means nothing until the actual test. Fingers crossed for the next time I can do one...