News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Yoyo Style/String Tricks Tutorial?

Started by br4d24, 24 March, 2013, 06:15:22

Previous topic - Next topic

br4d24

I wish i could find that edit done by a noteable yoyo player. He does some very interesting kendama tricks that seem very inspired by yoyoing. I have no idea what they are called or how to them, but i REALLY REALLY want to learn how to do tricks like that!

If anyone knows how to do these tricks; a tutorial or tips would be greatly appreciated!

I really hope you guys know what im talking about :P

EDIT: Found a different edit by possibly the same dude. The tricks im talking about are around the 40s mark

JamesFM

Are you referring to Zach Gormley?
Apparently you were referring to Zach Gormley!

I was at a local yoyo meet in Redondo Beach today. I decided to play a little kendama and some other dudes joined in. One of them was a professional yoyoer (Anthony Rojas I believe it was). He was doing some pretty neat yoyo inspired tricks. Mounting the ken on the string and doing some cool whip tricks. I will have him show me some moves next time I go to the meet.

The Void

I hope you're aware of Donald's work. Check out the "stringy" tricks in
Donald Grant - TeamKD - juggling videos hosted @ Juggling.tv
, http://www.kendama.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,326.0.html and
http://www.kendama.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,653.0.html
Check out Knees for Donald's write-ups of a bunch of his Stringy moves.[nb]Sorry if that seems a bit spammy, but hey, you asked! :)[/nb]
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

Kev

Wow. Donald's videos are great . . . Very inspirational.

Cool fireplace too :)

br4d24

Yeah that video was sweet!

Does anyone know any free tutorials or tips that i dont need a credit card for?

Jagmcool

Obviously anyone from the yoyo forums knows who Zach Gormley is. He's ranked #1 in 1A yoyo play. His stuff is pretty inspiring. Some of you should check out some of his yoyo videos, they might even inspire you to pick up a return top!

Kev

True, Zach is excellent although I feel kendama is more like 5A yoyo.

On that note check out my fave player, Steve Brown http://vimeo.com/stevebrown

His 365 yoyo tricks series is also worth a watch.

:)

Jagmcool

Quote from: Kev on 26 March, 2013, 08:52:50
True, Zach is excellent although I feel kendama is more like 5A yoyo.

On that note check out my fave player, Steve Brown http://vimeo.com/stevebrown

His 365 yoyo tricks series is also worth a watch.

:)
I think it's more like 4A. All balance and catching. But, any one starting yoyoing, I would highly suggest 1A before anything else.

BrandonYoder

how does he do the thing at 0:55?
racking my mind...

The Void

String pulls. (Watch the 'other' hand movement.)
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

BrandonYoder

i understand the string pulls for catching it on the cups. I can do that stuff no problem, but the thing that happens at exactly 0:55 where the ball appears to levitate(not against any cups)
is that some kind of string pull also?
is it on his arm?
i cant figure it out..haha

br4d24

Someone make a tutorial for this please! Maybe we should message this guy and ask him if he could throw something together quick

The Void

I've literally no idea what you're talking about. The thing I see at exactly 0:55 is a small throw. No mystery at all to me... ?

MrSquirrel

Quote from: BrandonYoder on 28 March, 2013, 20:16:49
i understand the string pulls for catching it on the cups. I can do that stuff no problem, but the thing that happens at exactly 0:55 where the ball appears to levitate(not against any cups)
is that some kind of string pull also?
is it on his arm?
i cant figure it out..haha
It's a string pull into the other cup. When the ball seems to be "levitating" at 0:55 watch his other hand, it pulls the string forward.

BrandonYoder

sorry void..i think it was actually at :56
and Mr.squirrel youre right, for some reason i kept thinking it was still away from that back cup. but it isn't.
im assuming that is what void was telling me in the first place.

My bad void ;D