News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Axes are really hard.

Started by John, 04 October, 2011, 17:30:10

Previous topic - Next topic

John

Ok, so I've never managed to even get very close to landing an axe.
Here is Jeff, making child's play of it at 1:54;

Any tips? I gather you need the hole facing you, or almost vertical but that's easier said than done.
It's a tough cookie, this one. Any help appreciated.
Ta muchly,
John.

John

And by vertical, I of course mean horizontal. It's been a long day. :)

Dave

Have the hole pointing at you eyes so you are looking down into it. Use the "hoop around the big cup string hanging thing. And lift vertically the more Stable the ken is in the air the easier it is. It's a very hard trick to get solid.
BALL AND CUP!

The Void

I had a little session of attempted Axing today. I'd found that any rotation of the ken at all along its long axis would cause the axe to fall (twist) off, if you'd got close to landing it. So today I made sure that there was no twist in my string at any point, and also I experimented with the angle of swing - for me, swinging out slightly to my left (I'm right handed) seemed to help. I also set the string hook to be really close to the central axis of the ken (usually I'm slightly out to the right, for Moon landings, etc). Thinking about these things, and using Dave's tip, I managed to land a few Axes today.

Also, inspired by someone who told me he'd got Axe>Moon>Axe the other day[nb]but is obviously far too humble to boast of his achievement here[/nb], I got Axe>Moon.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!