News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

The ever popular "Today I..." thread

Started by BatDancer, 04 July, 2011, 21:24:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Harrydh3

AlexSmith

Quote from: Harrydh3 on 09 July, 2011, 15:47:19
Beadwalk!
That is all :D
Hehe awesome! Thats the only trick I've ever done that I may have the audacity to say that I actually may have been the first to think of it.
Today I'm going to try and film a little, going to have to think up some tricks...

Harrydh3

I ve never seen anybody but you do it.
It's taken me from when i saw the vid till now to get it down.
Although i can only do it by grabbing the string on its way round and physically pushing the string through the ball.
How did you get the bead to come out of the ball mid spacewalk??

AlexSmith

You have to use a dama that the string/bead pops out of very easily. My metallic ooz works really well. Basically once you've grabbed ball and the Ken is about at the nine o'clock position (on it's way up in the arc) you have to give the ball a quick sort of tug towards the ken to make the bead pop out. You have to make sure that when you tug it the string/ spike hole is oriented more or less right in line with the string.
Once you have the bead out it's kind of a moment of commitment, where you have to let go of the ball and make a grab for the bead. Try to make the transition smoothly and quickly, you'll probably drop your dama a bunch though.
To get out of it the handroll is all I've really come up with. I suppose you could grab Ken and try to spike it, I haven't tried that yet though (...just got an idea of what to film today, hehe).

I'm interested to see how you got te bead out though. Honestly sounds tougher haha

Harrydh3

Ive been trying to film it for the past half an hour, its really trying my patience.
I get out of it by grabbing the ball and pulling it back down the string when its at roughly 1oclock.

The Void

Today I....

failed 4th Dan, twice.

But I also hit a whirlwind spike, from a common grip. I've done it before from the 'hanging scroll' grip, but common grip seems a bit harder.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

Thorny

Today I landed:- Pull up stilt (no string hang assist) - 360 flip - Stilt. A number of times, I feel like I'm really improving with my Stilt tricks!

And also... 1 Turn Stilt!   :D

The Void

Crikey, a bit good, that! Well done.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

The Void

Today I... failed 4th Dan again. 660 on the dreaded Moshi kame. Argh. I shall overcome.....

AlexSmith

the moshikame is for sure what would kill me in the dan rankings :(
today I picked a trick to film that is really beginning to try my patience. so close soo many times...

Greg the Strangler

Today I landed....

Around the USA Sarha grip. for the first time!
January–Kengarden Beginner Champion
May–Kengarden Intermediate Champion
December–Kengarden Advanced Champion

AlexSmith

Quote from: Greg the Strangler on 13 July, 2011, 00:30:34
Today I landed....

Around the USA Sarha grip. for the first time!
Nice! I didn't learn sara grip earths for waay too long, they feel way nicer that normal grip earths in my opinion.
Today I hit the trick that was giving me grief earlier... felt really good hehe.

BatDancer

I keep having to go and lookup the tricks that you're all describing to see what craziness is out there! I'm impressed with the sheer imagination of the tricks, let alone that someone can land them!!

In keeping with the spirit of the thread, (on Monday) I landed a 1-turn furiken. Wasn't trying to, was trying to land a regular furiken. Does that count? :)

The Void

Sara grip earth turns? The only ones of these I've seen are the "under-the-armpit" versions. I've been calling those "backhand earth turns"[nb]...and backhand jumping sticks. I just can't seem to get the knack.[/nb]. Unless you're twisting your wrist so that your palm almost points forward, and doing the ET from there? I'll have a go at that later, but either way, nice one on the Sara Arnd USA!

Meanwhile, of course it  counts, Batdancer... you even had a witness! :)

Harrydh3

as you would do juggling in sara grip.
just nailed it first go  8)