News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Custom pyrography on play europe nattys

Started by Paul_S, 07 December, 2014, 15:47:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul_S

kendama has been a bit of a godsend in regards to uniting my artwork and skill toys,
hope you enjoy these pics I got today.

Celtic; my first proper go at doing artwork like this. the design is a triquetra folded over the top hemisphere of the tama.
been jamming this as my main since I finished it

Stud; My technique with a soldering iron got a bit better lol.
The sun around the hole makes tracking a breeze, the stippled texture makes for really nice grip on the ken and on the tama its good for lighthouses too (had to play with it a little bit, otherwise fresh)

The Void

If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

M.Wang

Those look awesome! Are you gonna sell any of these?
-M.Wang

Simplicity! CLICKON!
KENDAMA.

Paul_S

yeah the second one is up for grabs :)
but I kinda feel like if I ask what I really want for it people will get put off.
So ebay auction might be the fairest option.

what would you pay for something like that btw?

the milky oolong

[user]Hey Paul_S[/user], great work! You might want to inform Marc Wibbels [user]KendamaEurope[/user] on the forum, Marc W. on Facebook or the European Kendama Community, I'm sure he'd be really happy to see how you've transformed his natty!
Kendama Berlin
German Kendama Open 2014: 1st Place Speed Trick, 2nd Place Knockout
German Kendama Championships 2015: 3rd Place Speed Trick
KEN FEST Hannover, 2016: 3rd Place KEN Battle
KENDAMA CLASH Berlin 2016: 1st Place Intermediate

M.Wang

Quote from: Paul_S on 08 December, 2014, 17:18:26
yeah the second one is up for grabs :)
but I kinda feel like if I ask what I really want for it people will get put off.
So ebay auction might be the fairest option.

what would you pay for something like that btw?
I would probably pay about $40-50. (£25.55-31.94)
-M.Wang

Simplicity! CLICKON!
KENDAMA.

Kev

These are good!

I've experimented with wood burning myself but not got results I'm happy with yet.

It's nice to see these. This sort of work takes considerable time and skill.

In my view, depending on the quality and detail of the artwork a kendama like this could be worth quite a lot.

The problem you may have is that there is often quite a big difference between what something is worth and what people are willing to pay, but you never know!

My general advice would be don't sell yourself short - you've put time and effort and skill into these so don't underprice them. Sure you can sell them cheap if you want but think about how that affects their perceived value.

Really looking forward to seeing more if these! Keep up the good work.

The Void

Quote from: Kev on 09 December, 2014, 08:25:07
there is often quite a big difference between what something is worth and what people are willing to pay
I would argue that that is the very definition of what something is worth! At least in monetary terms. However, I recognise the distinction between market value and the hourly rate of the creator. I think you should work out what you want to be paid per hour, minimum, for your time, and price accordingly. As has been said, don't sell yourself short.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

Paul_S

thanks guys, i generally try to pay myself £10 an hour when doing illustration/graphics work but If I did that for this it would be rediculous lol.

anyhow I put it on ebayyyy: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Custom-dotwork-Pyrography-on-a-Play-Europe-Kendama-/111543603614?ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:GB:1123

5 day listing, £25 starting bid, free shipping to UK :)

Kev

Yes I was talking about the bigger picture as in adding together time spent plus material costs then the unquantifiable amount for your skill and creativity.

Still I guess the true answer is sell it for what you're happy to sell it for.

I hope you get a decent amount that you're happy with.

Let's see more soon too please!

(Just so you know- at £10 an hour you'd be the cheapest graphic designer I've ever encountered!)

Good luck!

shalafi

They look really nice. Good work!

I'm not into collecting kendamas, so I won't be bidding for this one. I'd expect you'll get quite some attention from a lot other people that does collect them.

Good luck!
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

Paul_S

thanks Kev, I'll be buying myself a soldering iron with interchangable tips for christmas i reckon (borrowed a friends one for these)

and Pffffft Shalafi these is for playing with, not collecting! :p

shalafi

It will be a pity to chip that Kendama. ;-)
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

LarsVegas

The ken of the first one is awesome. The band fits so nicely into its place. Great work.
EKO 2012 - European Beginner Champion

Paul_S

bump, second one needs to go! (bills :p)
$45 shipped