News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Kendama Art?

Started by GbH, 02 January, 2012, 19:21:43

Previous topic - Next topic

GbH

Hi all,

Some of you will remember that about a year ago, before we had this forum, there was a kendama art competition run by the BKA.  Potential entrants were invited to submit their various pieces of kendama art, from which a winner(!) was chosen.  As far as I can remember, the art could have been in any static form - drawings, paintings, photos, CG...whatever.  Obviously, video was excluded.  In the event, various people submitted entries and the contest took place as planned.

OK, since that time, we've not really seen much more kendama art, which seems a shame.  OK, there have been a few custom kendama paint jobs shown occassionally, but it's not something that seems get much focus.  So, now that we have a forum that makes posting, viewing and managing such stuff much easier, would it not be good if this sort of thing was encouraged a little?  Maybe a sticky thread, a separate forum section, or something else entirely?  I guess it depends on interest. 

So, does this interest anyone else? 

BTW, if you're wondering what happen to my little kendama soldiers from last year, it seems that they've just been left on the shelf and forgotton about...

Greg the Strangler

My girlfriend Courtney Janvier and I always talk about this very topic. There is something very alluring about the form of the kendama; It's a sexualized object here in America, inadvertently by the young boys who idolize it and their favorite players to an extremity. I believe the applications for multi-medium art needs to be expanded on. Zach Yourd from Kendama USA dabbled a bit himself with these ceramic kendamas he created. Below is a great video of him throwing them.
January–Kengarden Beginner Champion
May–Kengarden Intermediate Champion
December–Kengarden Advanced Champion

BKA

The Void

If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

pascoe

Hey guys just to clarify would a drawing of a kendama count in this competition?
I have a habbit of only being able to put my kendama down after i have landed a trick.

BKA

It would have done. But the competition finished over a year ago.
But don't let that stop you drawing something and showing it off!

pascoe

haha oh right, little bit late to the punch. I'll knock something up.
I have a habbit of only being able to put my kendama down after i have landed a trick.

AlexSmith

Quote from: The Void on 21 March, 2012, 11:34:06
Here's one:
http://blog.kendama.dk/2012/03/kendama-sculpture.html
Saw that on Facebook and laughed. One of my first thoughts was that there would likely be some diablo and yoyo players in this forum who didn't think it was so hilarious  :P

The Void

I'm a diabolo and yo-yo player, and it's cool by me! :)
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

The Void

PAshaRome