News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

'One Shot' Kendama Challenge.

Started by Kev, 01 May, 2013, 13:01:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Kev

After a few weeks of discussion, may I introduce . . .

'The Official Rules for One Shot Kendama':

• Follow the trick ladder below, making only one attempt at each trick.
  • Keep going until you miss.
  • You fall, you fail – simple really!

One Shot Trick Ladder:

All Kyu Tricks =
(Big Cup / Small Cup / Base Cup / Candle / Pull Up In / Aeroplane / Swing In / Around Japan / Around the World / Lighthouse).

All Pre-Dan Tricks =
(Pull Up In / Aeroplane / Swing In / Around the Prefecture / Around Japan / Around the World / Lighthouse / Slip On Stick).

*If you fail at a Pre-Dan trick, then do 50 Moshi Kame - if you land them all you'll be 'One Shot 1st Kyu', if you fail you will be 'One Shot 2nd Kyu'.

If you passed all Pre-Dan tricks then you must do 100 Moshi Kame to complete 'One Shot Pre-Dan'.

One Shot 1st Dan =
Around the World / Lighthouse / Slip-on-stick / Earth Turn / Falling Down / Reverse Swing In / Around the Cosmos / Bird / Hanging Pull-up-in / Jumping Stick.

One Shot 2nd Dan =
Around the World / Lighthouse / Slip-on-stick / Earth Turn / Falling Down / Reverse Swing In / Around the Cosmos / Bird / Hanging Pull-up-in / Jumping Stick.
(* This is the same sequence as 1st Dan but done for a second time).

One Shot 3rd Dan =
Slip-on-stick / Earth Turn / Falling Down / Reverse Swing In / Around the Cosmos / Bird / Hanging Pull-up-in / Jumping Stick / 1-turn Aeroplane / 1-turn Lighthouse.

One Shot 4th Dan =
Slip-on-stick / Earth Turn / Falling Down / Reverse Swing In / Around the Cosmos / Bird / Hanging Pull-up-in / Jumping Stick / 1-turn Aeroplane / 1-turn Lighthouse.
(* This is the same sequence as 3rd Dan but done for a second time).

One Shot 5th Dan =
Around the Cosmos / Bird / Hanging Pull Up In / Jumping Stick / 1-Turn Aeroplane / 1-Turn Lighthouse / Slip Grip Special / Bird Fly Over the Valley / Lighthouse Somersault / Hanging 1-Turn Aeroplane / 2-Turn Lighthouse.

One Shot 6th Dan =
Around the Cosmos / Bird / Hanging Pull Up In / Jumping Stick / 1-Turn Aeroplane / 1-Turn Lighthouse / Slip Grip Special / Bird Fly Over the Valley / Lighthouse Somersault / Hanging 1-Turn Aeroplane / 2-Turn Lighthouse.
(* This is the same sequence as 5th Dan but done for a second time).

Additional Notes:

1. One Shot was invented as a difficult solo challenge, however, if you choose to battle your friends, and your match ends in a draw then settle with Moshi Kame – highest number wins. If you draw again, then Moshi until there is a clear winner.

2. You can give yourself a "grade" with this challenge but this is just to allow you to say what you have achieved in a way other Kendama players will understand. For more info on Official BKA Gradings, see: http://www.kendama.co.uk/exam.html

3. The One Shot Challenge is difficult - if you achieve a high level you will have demonstrated impeccable skill, consistency and focus. The ultimate aim is to complete the One Shot Challenge from beginning to end - a perfect score. When you do this then award yourself the esteemed title of 'One Shot Master'.

4. Videos of all tricks are available with the http://www.kendama.co.uk/app.html - also .gifs of tricks can be found at http://www.kendama.co.uk/tricks.html

5. FYI - The Speed Trick is NOT a part of the One Shot Challenge.

PS - These are now the official rules but if you're interested you can see in the thread below the discussions we had to get here.

BKA

Kev

Can I add,

You MUST include the Moshi Kame ;)

Good luck and post your progress on this thread!

The Void

I had a go yesterday. I missed the Pre-Dan Swing In. D'oh!
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

Kev

The Void

Quote from: Kev on 03 May, 2013, 09:59:27Nice one Void!
Not for a 5th Dan!
*Hangs head in shame*
*Commits sepuku*

;)
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

Kev

Quote from: The Void on 03 May, 2013, 10:30:44
*Hangs head in shame*
*Commits sepuku*

;)

Ha ha! Brilliant ;D

One shot consistency is going to be really hard no matter what level you're at though surely?

Am I right in thinking you still get 10 attempts per trick in the Dan gradings? If so, to get an unbroken chain of perfect first attempts up to your Dan level would be quite a feat!

But of course, it CAN be done ;)

I'm going to be buzzin' when I can reach Kyu 1 in one shot!

BKA

Indeed. In fact one of the KCCs (set by [user]KendaMushroom[/user]/Nic) was essentially this - for the Advanced tricks only.

Kev

Quote from: BKA on 03 May, 2013, 11:47:31
Indeed. In fact one of the KCCs (set by [user]KendaMushroom[/user]/Nic) was essentially this - for the Advanced tricks only.

Ah, Cool. Nice to start at the bottom of the ladder though for the less experienced players to join in.

On that note:

Just made it up to and including the Kyu 2 in one shot! Yay, getting better.

(Fell down on Lighthouse but frustratingly landed it second attempt!)

Kev

Hey there Kendama people, let's see some scores! - (surely it's not JUST me and Void playing is it?)

Nothing to be shy about, consistency is tough but give it a try . . . it's good practice.

:)

donald grant

Well, gave it a go this afternoon: got done over by the string during the moshi kame.  Good grief!

Gave it a few more goes later on, and managed to get through the kyu and pre-dan tricks, then messed up on the around the world in the dan list! 

It's good for making you practise the tricks you usually can't be bothered with/ don't like (that would be swing in for me :) )

Kev

Wow! That's very impressive indeed Donald!  :)

Good stuff.

PS - that pesky Moshi Kame string thing eh?!

The Void

I had another go yesterday, and got into the Dan tricks, but missed Hanging Spike.
So, what are the rules for Moshi Kame here, Kev? I did all Kyu tricks, then 50 Moshis, then all Pre-Dan tricks, then 100 Moshis, then started on the Dan tricks. But when/how many/how many times should you do Moshi?

Kev

Good stuff Void - I reckon you must be a bit happier with that?

Regarding the Moshi Kame - My first thought was that it should be done as it comes along in the trick ladder. So, after the beginners tricks - do 50 Moshi Kame then after the Pre-Dan tricks do 100, then after 1st Dan 200 etc.

However, this would mean (if we go down this route), that if you manage to get to 4th Dan in one shot you would have done 2150 successful Moshi Kame within the attempt plus all the other tricks.

I guess I should hand over to you and the other more experienced players to ask - is this reasonable or achievable?

By it's nature the One Shot Consistency Challenge *IS* a very hard thing to do anyway. To include all those Moshis as well as landing all the other tricks would definitely demonstrate incredible skill - true mastery or is it just unreasonable? You tell me!

Some possible alternatives:

1) All the tricks, no moshi kame.
2) All the tricks plus a more reasonable number of Moshi Kame at the end of each level?

What do you reckon?

Be good to here everyone's thoughts

:)

BKA

The awkward thing about this challenge is that 1st & 2nd Dans both "end" at Jumping Stick, 3rd & 4th at 1-Turn Lighthouse, 5th & 6th at 2-Turn Lighthouse. With the added complication of Speed Trick B for 3-5th.

Realistically, to make this a bit more fun, and less of a chore, (and more like your original intention?) perhaps it's easier to simplify it...

Kyu Tricks
50 Moshi Kame
Pre-Dan Tricks
100 Moshi Kame
Dan tricks
+ Longest run of Moshi you can manage?
+ Speed Trick B if you fancied it?

So only 3 runs of Moshi instead of 6.

But now suppose you fail on 1-Turn Aeroplane... are you "1-Shot 1st Dan" or 2nd? This would require a Moshi run to settle it.
And if you failed on Slip Grip Special, but managed a final Moshi run of 1000, you'd still need an STB run to decide if you were 1-shot 3rd or 4th.

....?