News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Orbitals

Started by the milky oolong, 01 April, 2013, 19:55:36

Previous topic - Next topic

the milky oolong

I was practising today when I decided to experiment with adding Orbits to regular tricks. I first started with orbiting a regular Aeroplane,  after the swing over the top of the rising ken (in the opposite direction the ken is swinging), and catching at normal height. I then tried this following the flight path, was equally interesting.

Next I tried this with Jumping Stick, first orbiting the ken on the outside (from behind the spinning ken) which kind of 'races' the spike to the finishing position. The opposite is a bit more tricky, flipping towards yourself but moving the tama up and over the ken on the inside and under to catch.

The most interesting was a orbiting a Reverse Aeroplane in the counter-direction of the swing - makes for a weird counterbalance of movement during the trick.

Unfortunately I don't have a camera; if I did, I would simply film these few variations and post them for you guys to see. I just thought perhaps you might have fun trying them out. I think with a bit of practice, orbiting a rising lunar in the counter-direction could be possible, but I will have to work on it.

Hope this makes sense.

The Oolong
Kendama Berlin
German Kendama Open 2014: 1st Place Speed Trick, 2nd Place Knockout
German Kendama Championships 2015: 3rd Place Speed Trick
KEN FEST Hannover, 2016: 3rd Place KEN Battle
KENDAMA CLASH Berlin 2016: 1st Place Intermediate

br4d24

Great thinking! Im deffs gonna give this a shot as well :) They way you describe it, makes it sounds like a wicked trick to observe!

Dimensions

Shameless Self-Promotion:
http://www.youtube.com/user/escapees6

BaylorYoung

Cool. I did an orbit to lighthouse. It took a few tries but I finally did it. I need to try to do the tricks you did.
Titles I earned at my school; Moonwalker Champion, Spacewalker Champion, Cups Champion, Spike Master, Orbital Champion, Aeroplain Champion, Acrobatic Champion, and 1st Place School Tournament Champion. (The second one we had I got in second place.)

br4d24

Quote from: BaylorYoung on 30 April, 2013, 15:14:33
Cool. I did an orbit to lighthouse. It took a few tries but I finally did it. I need to try to do the tricks you did.
That sounds not too too difficult but super swag. I gotta try that next time I jam.

LarsVegas

I haven't seen that thread before, but yesterday we tried Orbit Around The World. I.e. you do an around the world and repeat every step with an orbit: small cup -> orbit around small cup -> big cup -> oabc -> center cup -> oacc -> spike -> oas. We got unto spike but didn't manage to orbit from spike to spike.
We got the trick from the Android App, but couldn't find out how Void does this.
EKO 2012 - European Beginner Champion

The Void

Quote from: LarsVegas on 01 May, 2013, 07:25:29...Orbit Around The World. ... didn't manage to orbit from spike to spike. We got the trick from the Android App, but couldn't find out how Void does this.
It's also described in "Knees". Practice doing an Earth Turn with a slow rotation. You will need to use your knees to get a lot of height (=time!) into the trick. Once you can do that, then you can work on the Orbit part - as soon as the spike has given the ball the rotational push, and left the hole, it's time to speed up the hand and move fast around the spinning ball.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

Cliffdama

This is actualy really fun to do. Managed to do swing in orbit -> jumping stick orbit.

Lighthouse orbit isn't in for me yet. It keeps turning mid air. Need to practice this one some more :).

The Void

Quote from: Cliffdama on 01 May, 2013, 13:09:45Managed to do swing in orbit -> jumping stick orbit.
"Swing In" is to swing the ball onto the spike. So either you mean "Aeroplane Orbit > Jumping Stick Orbit", or you added a grip change in the middle, or you did one after the other, or... something else?
(Either way, nice job! :) )
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

LarsVegas

Quote from: The Void on 01 May, 2013, 11:00:47
Quote from: LarsVegas on 01 May, 2013, 07:25:29...Orbit Around The World. ... didn't manage to orbit from spike to spike. We got the trick from the Android App, but couldn't find out how Void does this.
It's also described in "Knees". Practice doing an Earth Turn with a slow rotation. You will need to use your knees to get a lot of height (=time!) into the trick. Once you can do that, then you can work on the Orbit part - as soon as the spike has given the ball the rotational push, and left the hole, it's time to speed up the hand and move fast around the spinning ball.

Yeah ... we guessed that you do Earth Turn - couldn't make it out in the small video. Now, if I only could get my Earth Turn working at all, I'd do this. I guess I put this trick in the queue. But thanks for the advice.
EKO 2012 - European Beginner Champion

Cliffdama

Quote from: The Void on 01 May, 2013, 13:36:02
Quote from: Cliffdama on 01 May, 2013, 13:09:45Managed to do swing in orbit -> jumping stick orbit.
"Swing In" is to swing the ball onto the spike. So either you mean "Aeroplane Orbit > Jumping Stick Orbit", or you added a grip change in the middle, or you did one after the other, or... something else?
(Either way, nice job! :) )

Hehe yeah it's aeroplane orbit :). No grip changes for me. I s*** in those hehe.