News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

One-Handed String Pinches

Started by the milky oolong, 14 November, 2016, 01:24:35

Previous topic - Next topic

the milky oolong

Have been thinking for a while now, always loving 'String-Pinched' tricks, more recently the wrapped Pinches to Lunar etc, but it has taken me some time to find a way of getting into any other one-handed 'Pinched' position than the Sara-grip Hand-Wrap technique seen so often in freestyle Kendama.

Trying to get my head recently around net-making techniques I've been using the Flying Dutchman method, which basically involves using your thumb and pinky to hold open the loop of a sheet bend for every mesh you want to make. Somehow it's an elegant little hold. I tried it out on the kendama and found that you can hold a 'String Pinched' trap in place using this method, freeing up your weak hand. All you do is draw the String pinch over the bridge of your thumb, and hook the bight over the pinky of the same hand.

I then took it one step forward, reverse engineering the hold in order to work out how to 'Swing' into it. The start is a bit awkward as you swing outside the body, but here's what I came up with, should be possible to see from the video how I get into it:

Obviously, it could just as easily be a small cup variant, and admittedly, swinging out to Revolver Spike is easier than dropping to Spike due to the wrap-up, so there is room for experimentation. Whaddya think?

TMO
Kendama Berlin
German Kendama Open 2014: 1st Place Speed Trick, 2nd Place Knockout
German Kendama Championships 2015: 3rd Place Speed Trick
KEN FEST Hannover, 2016: 3rd Place KEN Battle
KENDAMA CLASH Berlin 2016: 1st Place Intermediate

KenSan

Nicely done @the milky oolong

Might try and get my head around it when I have some time.
3rd place @ BKO 2016 Adv. Division. :-)

The Void

Can't quite make it out from the vid (can't see the string). Just had a go anyway, and my 3-finger-string seems a touch short... But I might not be doing what you're doing....
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!