News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Kendama Edit #1 - A New Error

Started by TheBlackLion, 25 January, 2012, 18:44:35

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBlackLion

Hi all, I allow myself to do some advert for my own first Kendama edit :)

PLEASE watch till the end! Because the clips were took on a so long period (something like 2 months), my skills are 2 times better at the end of the video comparing to the beginning... But yeah I think it gives a nice idea of the progression of a Kendama player.

My level is now one step further and I'm already planning the edit 2 :)

The Kendama is a Blue Ozora, my first one. I played some month before the video but not very often. Then I began to watch lots of edit, quickly became addicted to the "Kendama Lifestyle" and decided to make my own edit, so thanks to all the Internet (famous and infamous) Kendama players.

Title is mainly because of the song name but also because Kendama is about errors. Finding new errors and so finding new tricks, concentrating to avoid all the news errors, and so get further. New errors are like new beginnings.

Sorry for the little kendama sounds troubles, bad quality clips or little negliged things. My next edit will be shot with my new SLR and I'll take the time to do it, this will be far better.

Please tell me what you liked or disliked and why, because I know your advices will be interessant ;)  thanks.
If you're a Belgian Kendama player like me, let me know it too, because I can't funking be the only one!

Thanks for watching/reading description.

steffibearpaw

Hi, wow thats really NICE!
How long do you play Kendama? Love your edit and your music..... compliments and respect for your awesome performance... and greetings from Germany  :)

The Void

Likes: Looks to camera, shot of cat, the foot-tapping. In fact anything that can help your character to come through. The fact that the video shows your progression of skills. Spike-tap is a new trick to me.

Dislikes: Locations. All shot in one room. I know it's easy to set up the camera in your home, but it usually makes for such a dull video. Get outside! Find some sky, some architecture, some interesting plants or people for your backdrops. For myself, I have lots of ideas of things I'd like to film, but I don't film that often because I don't want to make a dull "indoor" video. I'll save up my ideas so I can shoot in good locations.

(These things apply to anyone, not just you. :) )

Of course, a simple "here is one trick" video can be shot fine indoors (a blank wall can be a good, clear, non-distracting backdrop), but I'm talking about "mini-movies".

Anyway, you're doing really well for the limited time you've been playing. Keep it up, and thanks for sharing!
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

SamB

A nice steady video, really nice progression. The spike tap though made me wince,  I'd only do that on my super blunt old TK16 :P
Loved the music and good work getting the family on board!
BKO 2011 - 2nd, SRC 2011 - 2nd,  SRC 2012 - 2nd, EJC 2012 (unicorns) - 2nd, SRC 2013 - 2nd, BKO 2013 - 3rd - Always the bridesmaid...

TheBlackLion

Thanks all for your very kind comments, it really make me happy you enjoy this first edit :D

Quote from: steffibearpaw on 25 January, 2012, 19:42:31
How long do you play Kendama?
I had approxymatly 6 months of experience (but didn't played very often) while shooting the clips but now I've already played for 2 more months. There's things about how long I played in the description ;)
Anyways thanks for the nice comment!

Quote from: The Void on 25 January, 2012, 20:37:46
Likes: Looks to camera, shot of cat, the foot-tapping. In fact anything that can help your character to come through. The fact that the video shows your progression of skills. Spike-tap is a new trick to me.
Some friends of mine said I was looking a little stupid while staring like that at the camera, so I'm glad you disagreed with it 8) and it really please me that you liked my others ideas.

Quote from: The Void on 25 January, 2012, 20:37:46
Dislikes: Locations. All shot in one room. I know it's easy to set up the camera in your home, but it usually makes for such a dull video. Get outside! Find some sky, some architecture, some interesting plants or people for your backdrops. For myself, I have lots of ideas of things I'd like to film, but I don't film that often because I don't want to make a dull "indoor" video. I'll save up my ideas so I can shoot in good locations.
I totally understand what you said but there were reasons why I decided to only film this in my room. For me it fitted a lot more for a first edit and it gived the feeling I wanted to. Furthermore filming it outside wasn't relevative of the true places where I use to play. I agreed outdoor edits with fabulous locations, people having fun and things like that can be really awesome and maybe more attractive. But I'm persuaded you can make something incredible while only filming alone in your house, it's just different visions of Kendama :)
And yes, I must say it was also for practical reasons... Anyways I really want to try making interesting outside clips for my second edit.
Thanks a lot for the long constructive comment  :)

Quote from: SamB on 26 January, 2012, 12:54:47
A nice steady video, really nice progression. The spike tap though made me wince,  I'd only do that on my super blunt old TK16 :P
Haha, yeah my spike was already totally flat when I did this :D
Glad you liked this.

GbH

OK, I'll add a couple of points too, as there's definitely something likeable and distinctive about what you did with that.  As Void mentions above, your character comes over very strongly and, in the edit, you've given yourself space to let that come through.  Yes, the progression element works well too, which is something that others could perhaps take more notice of.

I do think that there are issues with it too, though.  Firstly, for me, it felt too long.  It's not that there's any problem with having a video of that length, but if you do, more variety in the content is needed.  I suspect that if you'd been more willing to cut out stuff, it would have ultimately come across much stronger. 

Another criticism would be that there were too many single-hit tricks, making the feel of it very predictable.  I know they're harder to pull off, but using trick sequences and patterns will give you variety in the tempo of the video and will also help show that the tricks aren't merely one-off flukes.  For me, the most impressive videos aren't those with the absolutely hardest tricks, but instead are the ones that show solid sequences that just can't be down to luck.

I can see where the comments, above, are coming from regarding locations (though I liked the mirror shot).  However, I do believe that there are more options than merely going outside.   Personally, I've made loads of YouTube videos (most are music based, but whatever...) and nearly all of them were made in my house, which is small and not ordinarily much of a backdrop.  Whilst I find this a challenge, there are definitely ways to compensate for the drawbacks, given a bit of thought and preparation.  Even something as 'boring' as having just a plain wall behind you can actually make the video look more professional and slick (more so, say, than your average bedroom/living room shot).  Add some strategically placed props or materials and you'll soon find that you've built your own little set.  Another option, if location filming isn't practical, is to learn about green screen work (can be supported in even low-end editing packages), or even superimposing 3D content on top, if you have the time to mess around with it.

Anyhow, it'll be interesting to see how you tackle the next one.

TheBlackLion

@GbH

Thanks for the advices, I take good note of everything you said and I'll think about all of that for my next edit, especially what you said about the rythm of the video. But you know, with the level I had it was very hard to make longer clips and vary the tricks. I couldn't get spacewalk tricks and wasn't a pro about lighthouse/lunar/stilt combos, it's why it feel a little repetitive.
Anyways I had to begin with the bases but I tried be original though ;)

You're the first person to say you liked the mirror and it pleases me really! Don't worry, I've already lots of nice ideas about the locations/backgrounds of my next edit but thanks for all the advices, this inspire me even more :)