News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Hybrid Tricks

Started by the milky oolong, 18 August, 2014, 14:19:01

Previous topic - Next topic

the milky oolong

A recent post in the 'Today I...' thread got me thinking about some problematic kendama terminology.

This one is going to get pretty nerdy, so caveat emptor of this topic.

It seems that lines consisting of what I would refer to as 'hybrid tricks' are becoming more and more common. With this I am referring to things such as Around the World with a Bird after each cup, or any augmentation of an Around trick where an extra trick follows each 'stage' of the Around. To be clear what I mean:

Around the World with Bird after each cup:
Small Cup>Bird
Big Cup>Bird
Base Cup>Bird
Spike

So that's a seven trick Around line that is being referred to severally at the moment as: Around the Bird, Bird the World; etc. There are a few problems here that I can foresee. Around the Bird doesn't let you know what the original pattern of Around is (it's not Around Denmark/Prefecture/USA with additional Birds), and Bird the World is sort of inaccurate, taking for granted that the ken and all cups is the World, as you can't 'Bird' the Base Cup (unless it's Bird> Small Cup Bird>Clifftop>Spike, which it's not).

A few things that can be said about this hybrid is that the additional trick comes right after each held position
That the additional trick is of one type
That the additional trick recurs consistently until the finish position

In that case, I would opt for calling this Around the World x Bird, because I think this is modular. You could for instance say Around the Cosmos x Slip Grip Special, which would run Body Catch>SGS>Spike>SGS>Small Cup>SGS>Big Cup>SGS>Base Cup>SGS>Spike (if you really wanted to!). What I mean is, you can change both the Around type and the extra trick type, while using just two terms to refer to a trick that now involves 11 steps.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Just think about how much time it would save to write Around Tunbridge Wells x Bird instead of Big Cup>Bird>Small Cup>Bird>Big Cup>Bird>Base Cup>Bird>Big Cup>Bird>Penguin Base>Bird>Big Cup>Bird>Spike>Bird>Earth Turn... (and that's just the Big Cups!)

Kendama Berlin
German Kendama Open 2014: 1st Place Speed Trick, 2nd Place Knockout
German Kendama Championships 2015: 3rd Place Speed Trick
KEN FEST Hannover, 2016: 3rd Place KEN Battle
KENDAMA CLASH Berlin 2016: 1st Place Intermediate

shalafi

I personally have no problem with the X the World terminology for adding the trick X after each step. The proper way for me would be "Bird around the world" but we usually get rid of the around since it makes a shorter and cooler name.

Clearly, Around the Bird is not a good name, as you said, because it does not have the proper context. Around What?

That being said, in my last video I did "Gunslinger the Cosmos"

Now, for extra points: How would "Around Europe the world" Look like. (I do know how it'd look like, but I leave it here as an exercise for the reader)
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

Dimensions

Good points there TMO but I have to agree with Shalafi. I think that "bird the world" shouldnt be called anything else as I think that the name "bird the world" can't be interpreted as much else.
I know you said that BTW would be little bird > bird > clifftop > spike. But I think that that would be called something along the lines of "world of ridges" or " ridges of the world".

[user]Shalafi[/user] bird Europe would be: little cup > bird > in > big cup > bird > in > base cup > bird > in

Shameless Self-Promotion:
http://www.youtube.com/user/escapees6

PikWik

i agree with what has been said so far. 'around the bird' does need more definition. altho, at least to me, i always assumed it meant around the world with birds instead of spikes.

and since you mentioned the trick, here it is

Around turnBIRDwells

probably one of the best/hardest tricks ive ever seen in kendama, tbh  :o

shalafi

Quote from: Dimensions on 18 August, 2014, 19:54:49mething along the lines of "world of ridges" or " ridges of the world".
[user]Shalafi[/user] bird Europe would be: little cup > bird > in > big cup > bird > in > base cup > bird > in

I asked for "Around Europe the World" :-P

Dimensions

Well surely Europe the World would be: little cup > little cup bounce (?) > the rest of AE > big cup > AE > base cup > AE
Not too sure on the start but frankly I don't think I'll see this in an edit anytime soon.
Shameless Self-Promotion:
http://www.youtube.com/user/escapees6

shalafi

Quote from: Dimensions on 19 August, 2014, 10:15:09
Well surely Europe the World would be: little cup > little cup bounce (?) > the rest of AE > big cup > AE > base cup > AE
Not too sure on the start but frankly I don't think I'll see this in an edit anytime soon.
I don't think it'll look interesting, but my point was how long it could be to write it trick by trick.

The Void

I don't think that's your point. I think your point is that Dimensions understood which trick you meant by describing it that way. :)

As for milky's original alternative, surely any criticism of possible misunderstanding of "[X] [the world]"-type naming could equally apply to your version?
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

shalafi

Quote from: The Void on 19 August, 2014, 12:44:40
I don't think that's your point. I think your point is that Dimensions understood which trick you meant by describing it that way. :)
That indeed he did :)

the milky oolong

Quote from: The Void on 19 August, 2014, 12:44:40

As for milky's original alternative, surely any criticism of possible misunderstanding of "[X] [the world]"-type naming could equally apply to your version?

Is the question directed at [user]me[/user], [user]Dimensions[/user], or [user]Shalafi[/user]?
Kendama Berlin
German Kendama Open 2014: 1st Place Speed Trick, 2nd Place Knockout
German Kendama Championships 2015: 3rd Place Speed Trick
KEN FEST Hannover, 2016: 3rd Place KEN Battle
KENDAMA CLASH Berlin 2016: 1st Place Intermediate