News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

(POLL) Do you glue your Kendama tips?

Started by jesse.hill.1200, 12 March, 2013, 19:41:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you glue your Kendama tips to prevent wear?

I glue all my Kendama tips to prevent wear
Only my most played tips get glued
I own enough Kendamas that I don't really care about the wear of the tips
See no need to glue the tips
I will never glue my Kendama tips

jesse.hill.1200

Just want to get a feel for where people are on the idea of gluing the tips of their Kendamas to prevent wear on the tip. 

The Void

Well, I voted "only my most...", but that's not quite the whole story. KendAlex said that gluing the tip when it's brand new equals an extra-hard tip to attack your paint with, which is true. So there's the "play it until it's a little bit blunt, then glue it" option as well.
However, I try to use a soft technique as much as I can, so actually, I do glue my tips new. But then again, I don't glue every tip, sometimes I can't be bothered.

So, er, yeah, ere wasn't an option for all of that!
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

RodDama

i cant deal with a nubby spike... makes me crazy! lol so i glue mine and sometimes reshape the spike with sand paper.. or sometimes (extremely carefuly) with a knife. although i have done it with just a knife.. and it looked wonky but worked amazing. I find it brings old beaten up damas back to life!
-RodDama!

www.terrakendama.com

BrandonYoder

im with rod...i cant stand a dull spike.
but if i manage to get a dull one i either slap i on my belt sander, or just use sandpaper.
(concrete can work here if you are low on resources)

BrandonYoder

also...do NOT try a pencil sharpener...
just trust me, i am guilty of this.

Cliffdama

I just glued my tip for the fiest time. I didn't know about glueing and reshaping tips so i played with a blunt tip for a while. The one positive thing about a blunt tip is that i learnt to spike much better! Now with a sharp tip its so easy! :D

RodDama

Quote from: BrandonYoder on 13 March, 2013, 03:00:36
also...do NOT try a pencil sharpener...
just trust me, i am guilty of this.

haha! i have a friend that does this... his damas are all shall we say... custom? haha 
-RodDama!

www.terrakendama.com

JonQ

I definitely glue the tips on my daily players. Usually more than once.  I leave the hardwoods and display kendamas alone though, no reason.

happygoat

Why glue the tip when you can hit the hole every time? ...:-) but I glue all mine after some minimal wear...

JamesFM

I re-shaped and glued all of the tips on my kendamas a few days ago. I tried 2 different glues with varying results.

The first glue I used wast Loctite Super Glue with a brush applicator.

This stuff was rubbish. It chipped away after minutes of play, and my tips were blunted by the end of the day.

The second glue I used was Gorilla Super Glue.

This stuff is amazing. The slightly rubberized formula is extremely impact resistant. No chips or marks anywhere on my tips. This glue seeped in nicely and dried very clear. I definitely recommend this brand to anyone who wants to preserve their spikes.

Waylon

I used some cheap stuff I found at a truck stop one night at work when I needed it to fix something in my truck. The lid was bonded on so I cut open the side and rolled the spike around in it. Worked pretty well but the glue is done now. I'll have to try Gorilla super glue on the next one.

kuroo

Yes, I glue every one of my kendama tips.  Why not keep the spikes prestine? (Or, at least as close to that as possible.) 

I also use the Gorilla Super Glue that James recommended, and I concur.  It dries clear as he said, is slick to the feel, sounds good and I can't believe what I've put some of them through without damage.  I do keep an eye on the glue, however, and if I notice it's getting banged up, add another very thin layer just to be safe. 

Waylon

I wonder how well shellac might work. Anyone try it?

JonQ

AlexSmith

I think I've only glued the tips of 2 kendamas I've ever owned - one was made of genuine mahogany, so I glued it simply because it is a lighter/softer wood. The other was just to experiment, since I'd never glued one before.

I think its kind of fun beating your average  kendama to pieces. As you get better you'll find your spike wears down less, since you can play more softly and accurately. Just don't use kendamas you want to keep in good shape for aggressive tricks!