News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Consistency problems, I am not really sure what to aim for

Started by Dopesauce, 19 February, 2014, 08:09:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Dopesauce

Hey guys, so I have this problem when it comes to tricks such as the swing in, UFO, or earth turns. I can land them every so often and I know it will come with practice but, here comes my questions, is it mostly consistency with your movements or do you just adjust to the hole of the tama? I feel like I don't know what to aim for when doing tricks and I am just spinning and hoping to land it on the spike. Any tips on what to aim for when doing tricks.

Kev

Quote from: Dopesauce on 19 February, 2014, 08:09:53. . . is it mostly consistency with your movements or do you just adjust to the hole of the tama?
I'd say both. The more consistent you are in every step of the movement the less you need to adjust to land the trick, but, the more you practice, the better you get at adjusting to the hole position. When you get to decent level at both you start landing tricks more often.

The better a trick is launched, the easier it is to land so when learning a new trick I concentrate on getting good consistent launches down before really trying to catch them. Realistically to begin with you are not going to land a trick unless the launch was pretty good. After this you can focus on the landing - at first you might only land those attempts where the launch is pretty much perfect and requires little adjustment, then as you get better, you'll learn to adjust to wilder and more wayward launches. (Have a look at some of the videos of the more experienced players and they can catch quite wayward launches like it's nothing).

Quote from: Dopesauce on 19 February, 2014, 08:09:53I feel like I don't know what to aim for when doing tricks
Using your Swing In as an example (a trick I also have a difficult relationship with), I'd say: 'If you can see it you can spike it'. Concentrate on getting a good consistent launch and making sure that you can see the hole after that tama has rotated. If you can, then that's step 1 sorted. Don't worry too much about trying to spike it, just know that if you can see it you can spike it. (In juggling terms we used to say, 'a touch is as good as a catch' when learning new tricks - this is the same principle, it means your launch was good and you've now got to the stage where you can start learning the catch!

Quote from: Dopesauce on 19 February, 2014, 08:09:53. . .I am just spinning and hoping to land it on the spike.
Yep, we've all done that, that'll work but it'll take ages. (Think monkeys and typewriters etc.) If you make enough attempts at a trick it's bound to land in the right place sometimes but you've not really learned much. You could set up a camera to record thousands of attempts in the hope you catch some magic, but I'd recommend taking a more thoughtful / methodical approach as outlined above. The good thing about a kendama trick is it's sequential - one step follows another. Get each step right along the way and you'll land the trick. So work on one step at a time, beginning with your starting position and working through each step until the catch.

Quote from: Dopesauce on 19 February, 2014, 08:09:53Any tips on what to aim for when doing tricks?
I think lots of people have different answers to this but from my own experience I'd say:

- Focus on the bit of the kendama that's not in your hand (so for Swing In - focus on the tama, but for Aeroplane focus on the Ken). The bit you're holding is an extension of your body and your brain just knows where it is. It's the flying bit you want to concentrate on!

- If you can see it* you can spike it / A touch is as good as a catch.

*It is possible to spike the hole without being able to see it, for me this came later with the realisation that the string hole is directly opposite the hole - so If you can see either the string hole or the hole itself you are good to spike it, although (as it uses less brain), being able to see the hole is easier generally.

- Aim to practice often but rest often too.

- Aim to watch other players on video, or in real life to absorb their ideas and techniques.

- Aim to buy Spike! Knees! and Click! from the BKA http://www.kendama.co.uk/ - there is so much info in these books, I can't recommend them enough.

- Aim to get involved in the forum, search for tips and if you can't find the answers then ask questions, there's lots of knowledge here.

- Aim to finish every practice session on a high note so you leave satisfied and wanting to come back for more.

Quote from: Dopesauce on 19 February, 2014, 08:09:53
I know it will come with practice.
You knew the answer all along! Yep, that's the main thing. Keep at it!

johndmc

This is a great response. Thanks Kev!!

I too struggle with swing in, its reassuring to hear its not just me ha ha ha! I do seem to be progressing with the other tricks but still very inconsistent with swing in. I'll keep at it though.

I really like the "A touch is as good as a catch." phrase as i've recently started juggling too, so this makes a lot of sense regarding building up stages of tricks.

8)
Dont practice what you can do, practice what you can't! :)

LarsVegas

Quote from: Kev on 19 February, 2014, 11:18:20
The better a trick is launched, the easier it is to land

You can't phrase it better. As a juggling teacher, one of my favourite juggling sayings is that "catching is a side-product of good throwing".

Quote from: Kev on 19 February, 2014, 11:18:20

Quote from: Dopesauce on 19 February, 2014, 08:09:53
I know it will come with practice.
You knew the answer all along! Yep, that's the main thing. Keep at it!

Sorry, but the main thing is "more knees!"  ;D
EKO 2012 - European Beginner Champion