News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

how long should the spike be?

Started by doakes, 29 November, 2011, 20:11:47

Previous topic - Next topic

doakes

hey guys, sorry noob question. my kendama came apart, so i pushed the pieces back together. but now my spike seems a little longer than it was,, handle is shorter etc.. how long should the spike be? i9m using a  red oozara  :D

hater

Don't worry, the spike will shorten as you use it  :)

AlexSmith

I think this is somewhat personal preference... although most people prefer a certain sort of 'standard length'
What that length is I couldn't tell you exactly... try comparing to another kendama or a friends ken, thats your best bet

hater

What you do when the spike loses his tip? play it like that or sharpen it?

BKA

Play it blunt. (Sharpened kens are not allowed in competitions). Or you could glue it to stop any further blunting.

Buddhaprice

for any at home kendamas you do not plan on competing with you can sharpen it with a peice of fine sandpaper, I put like two drops of super glue in a bottle cap and roll just the tip of my spike in it with every new one i get, but you dont always want a super sharp spike, a shorter one makes certain tricks easier earthspins,stilts,etc. just my two cents   

AverieLee

My spike lost maybe a half a inch on my Oozora and has Flatten but I can still landed every trick just have to really work for it.
I love having it worn out for some reason makes it a tad bit more tricky.

Peter

There is one big question in a man's life: "How long should my spike be?".

And there is also one answer, which everybody has heard before: "Size doesn't matter." 

It is just important, that you know how to use it...

:) :) :)

Greg the Strangler

Some players, including Colin Sander and Chaz Edwards glue their cups to insure a prolonged "shorter spike". In my experience, i have jammed the sorado down on the spike to make lunaring easier, but are now second guessing this technique. The placement of the sorado on the spike makes a difference in the top/bottom heaviness of the kendama and affects how fast the kendama rotates, as well as bird/stilt tricks. Something about stilting is a bit easier when the spike lands higher on the curve of the ball. But maybe it's all in my head. What do you all think?
January–Kengarden Beginner Champion
May–Kengarden Intermediate Champion
December–Kengarden Advanced Champion

steffibearpaw

What I am thinking about it?   ;)
OK, it´s a very easy answer, guys, the spike should be as long enough to enter the hole of the dama... the length is not important!

:)  :) 

Harrydh3

well...

It definitely needs to have a spike  :P

i think by the time the spike's flat you need a new one. thats my rule anyway.

Thorny

Quote from: steffibearpaw on 20 January, 2012, 15:50:02the spike should be as long enough to enter the hole of the dama... the length is not important!

Okay guys, she's right! No need for spike envy round here, we all know they come in different shapes and sizes!
:P

Ohh, I make myself chuckle!

AlexSmith

I've found that damas I bought when I started playing became fairly dull over time, but now my spikes don't dull as much. I think this is probably a combo of improving skills (not missing stabs at the ball in such violent ways?) and having a lot more damas to spread my playing time over (my collection seems ever growing...)

Winter Solstice Kendama

Quote from: AverieLee on 06 January, 2012, 07:06:11
My spike lost maybe a half a inch on my Oozora and has Flatten but I can still landed every trick just have to really work for it.
I love having it worn out for some reason makes it a tad bit more tricky.

This. Sometimes you need to work hard and sharpen up your mind instead of your ken. Blunty ken's bring a certain challenge and fun with them. YMMV, but I like it :) I also glue the tip on some toys to ensure they stay that way.

-Curtis