News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

KENDAMA HELP - NEW TO THIS!

Started by ch3ckm4rk, 29 February, 2012, 05:54:12

Previous topic - Next topic

ch3ckm4rk

Hi, so i've been recently looking up videos on kendamas and searching around for which kendama to buy.

So far, i've found that the TK16 Master Kendama is a good kendama?

i'm looking to get a kendama that will do me well for a while, not necessarily a beginner kendama, as i know I'm willing to progress and learn more tricks and what not.

I've been into yo-yoing recently and i remember that i wasn't so happy buying a beginner yoyo.

Please help with any recommendations on which kendama to purchase and where i can purchase it.

so far i know i can purchase off of kendama use, i've checked out ken garden, as well as yoyosame that sells the tk16 master for about 20 dollars.

please please help! i really want to place an order and get started!

Thanks a lot! :D

-Mark

AlexSmith

Quote from: ch3ckm4rk on 29 February, 2012, 05:54:12
Re: KENDAMA HELP - NEW TO THIS!
No need to yell.

Red TK16. Play it until it falls apart. This is the only advice you'll need for now, once you have played the TK to death you will understand what comes next in the wonderful world of kendama.

FilthyTown

Quote from: AlexSmith on 29 February, 2012, 06:08:35
Red TK16. Play it until it falls apart. This is the only advice you'll need for now, once you have played the TK to death you will understand what comes next in the wonderful world of kendama.

WORD.

BKA

From the FAQ: http://www.kendama.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,6.0.html :
QuoteWhat type of kendama should I buy?
A good kendama will be ~17.5cm tall (with the ball on the spike), with a big cup of ~4cm diameter. If you want to consider entering a competition, buy one with a JKA seal (recognised for competition play in Japan and Europe) or an EKA seal (ditto Europe). For general play, most kendamas of standard size are fine. Avoid smaller kendamas (they often have a few painted stripes on the cross-piece), as although they are cheaper, they are much harder to use.

ch3ckm4rk

hmm, so i guess i'll be looking at getting a tk16

are replacement string necessary?

BKA

No, you're unlikely to break or wear one out for some time. (Actually, I think you get one spare in the TK16 packet anyway, but I'm not sure.) Have fun with whichever kendama you end up getting, and be sure to come back and report how you're getting on after a couple of weeks or so.  :)

ch3ckm4rk

Thanks so much!

I'll be getting the red tk16 rather than the blue or the black, keep it original!

what other sites can i purchase kendamas from?

BKA

A google shopping search for 'kendama' or 'tk16'  will throw up a bunch of (local) hits for you.

ch3ckm4rk

does the tk16 have differentt sized cups? or are they the same size?

btw i wanna get a red one and either a blue or black, any help with choosing a colour?

Greg the Strangler

Quote from: ch3ckm4rk on 06 March, 2012, 15:20:33

btw i wanna get a red one and either a blue or black, any help with choosing a colour?

Red is standard/classic! It's also the color of sports cars :P Good starter color.
January–Kengarden Beginner Champion
May–Kengarden Intermediate Champion
December–Kengarden Advanced Champion

SamB

I was playing my old red TK16 earlier and it lunars like an absolute dream. I've played thorny's wine mugen and it may be contrary to popular belief but in lunarisability the 2 years of beat and grime has made it comparable. On the other hand theyou have to be very precise with the spike since it's so flat and the hole so beat up.
BKO 2011 - 2nd, SRC 2011 - 2nd,  SRC 2012 - 2nd, EJC 2012 (unicorns) - 2nd, SRC 2013 - 2nd, BKO 2013 - 3rd - Always the bridesmaid...

Thorny

Quote from: SamB on 06 March, 2012, 19:27:21
I've played thorny's wine mugen and it may be contrary to popular belief but in lunarisability the 2 years of beat and grime has made it comparable.

I just feel like I should say... my wine doesn't really lunar that well because of how devastated the big cup has become thanks to bird/bat/stilt tricks, although if that wasn't the case, it would still be magnificent! I plan on making it a wine oozora soon, for ultimate playability.

EDIT: My first kendama was a blue TK16! Thought I'd be different to the crowd.

John

Has anyone said you should get a red TK16 yet? If not, that's my advice. :)
It was my first "proper" kendama too, and in my humble opinion should be in everybody's arsenal regardless. Learn to lighthouse on a new TK16 and you'll be well on your way.

Harrydh3

No idea where my red tk is... or if its stll even in one peice... or 3 peices in 1 location for that matter :')

kendamaworld.co.uk if youre in the uk
kendama.cz if youre in europe and
kendamausa.com if youre in 'merica

SamB

BKO 2011 - 2nd, SRC 2011 - 2nd,  SRC 2012 - 2nd, EJC 2012 (unicorns) - 2nd, SRC 2013 - 2nd, BKO 2013 - 3rd - Always the bridesmaid...