News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Outlink 2017!

Started by Dimensions, 18 January, 2017, 16:53:13

Previous topic - Next topic

John

Update, for those interested...
I spent about 45 minutes today on this, with minimal success. There's no way I'm going to be as cool as @KenSan and rock it on my first try!
Thanks for all the advice @DanieLambert - it's actually the earth turn that I find the hardest. It's usually too fast. Finding that sweet spot is a rare occurrence. I also have trouble throwing the earth turn too high, and when I try and kenflip it pulls the string tight and implodes into chaos.
Either way, I hit the pull-up about 5 times in total, and about 3 very, very shabby "whirlwinds" so there's still hope!

Dimensions

@KenSan
@fiddletriks
Accepted!

@The Void  (+all others on the subject)
Admittedly, I didn't expect so many people to be out so early, and I thought this would make it a bit more interesting with a handful of comebacks in the mix. I will think about a bonus for the 7 soon (which I wasn't going to announce, but was intending)
Oh, and Void, Accepted too!
Shameless Self-Promotion:
http://www.youtube.com/user/escapees6

paulsayer

KenSan

Thanks @John The whilwind earth turn was actually one of those tricks that was (and still is) very in fashion when I started playing kendama a couple of years ago! So Ive been grinding on it for most of that time.

As for executing it, like @DanieLambert says accentuate your movements. Go low with the knees- your ken should be almost horizontel, but obviously not to the point of the tama falling off-then as you move up from the knees, the ken will start to straighten up and the momentum of when your at the peek will take the tama off the spike and almost start the earth turn naturally, without to much forced movment from your wrist.
This should keep the earth turn slow. Now just keep your eye on the tama and perform the whirlie in you peripheral vision trying to keep close enough to the tama not to yank it-then go down with the knees for the catch!

You will be supprised how much you can actually slow it down and still perform the trick!

Hope this helps. Good luck and see you in the next round!
3rd place @ BKO 2016 Adv. Division. :-)

John

I did it! Video to come later when I'm at home. Thanks for the amazing advice @KenSan - I followed it pretty much exactly and got it in the combo after about 45 minutes. I get so much inspiration from everyone on here, you're all so helpful even when we're competing! :)

John

Ok, here we go. Bit grainy for some reason but you can see everything clearly enough.

Dimensions

John

Thanks Rob! Still a lot of room for improvement and a lot of work to do, but I'll get there.
Looking forward to the next round.

KenSan

@John nicely executed sir! 8)
Never underestimate the power of the knees!

Also nice football strip!
3rd place @ BKO 2016 Adv. Division. :-)

paulsayer

Well done @John ! I get a big grin every time I see someone lacing new tricks. Whirlwinds are not easy!

Here's my entry @Dimensions :

Dimensions

oesterzilla

this time not on the last day

The Void

Classy.
Quote from: oesterzilla on 08 March, 2017, 12:03:23this time not on the last day
I thought that was a little extra game you were playing for yourself. :)
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

Dimensions

@oesterzilla
Making things difficult by walking I see - turns out you earliness is paying off because...
Accepted!

oesterzilla

Quote from: The Void on 08 March, 2017, 13:58:39
Classy.
Quote from: oesterzilla on 08 March, 2017, 12:03:23this time not on the last day
I thought that was a little extra game you were playing for yourself. :)

could have been indeed haha.