News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Buying a new Kendama

Started by Luke_Vestal, 29 March, 2013, 23:19:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Waylon

Quote from: happygoat on 11 April, 2013, 08:32:01
@RodDama

I agree with you that playing with slippery tama make you a better player in the long run. But I also think that new players need to see some progress in their play in order to keep the motivation. So, starting with the toughest challenge is from my point of view not the best choice. Not everybody might have the same determination as you have had  ;)

I still think that going with a slightly more sticky tama as an Ozora or a Sunrise is a better choice.

Btw, one thing I like about this forum is that we can have these discussions without flaming going on  8)

As a new kendama player and a veteran yoyoer, I think it's best for new players to buy whatever looks cool and play it to death. That's the advice I give new yoyoers. If you're playing, you're going to learn tricks and develop preferences no matter what toy it's on.

I also think there is way too much stress placed on balance tricks. If you're buying a kendama to help you land lunars before you've even gotten consistent with the basics, you're putting the cart in front of the horse. I would hope by the time I'm attempting lunars and stilts, my tk16 will be beat half to death, and grippy as a result, by all the tricks I had to learn along the way.

RodDama

Quote from: Waylon on 11 April, 2013, 18:38:35
Quote from: happygoat on 11 April, 2013, 08:32:01

I also think there is way too much stress placed on balance tricks. If you're buying a kendama to help you land lunars before you've even gotten consistent with the basics, you're putting the cart in front of the horse. I would hope by the time I'm attempting lunars and stilts, my tk16 will be beat half to death, and grippy as a result, by all the tricks I had to learn along the way.

this is more like what i was trying to get across... haha