News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Turning Your Own Kendama

Started by AverieLee, 13 January, 2012, 08:26:32

Previous topic - Next topic

AverieLee

(Not sure if this fits in Gear or not)

I'm starting to get ready to turn my own Kens. Coming from no wood turning experience I looked around for help.
I contacted Alex ( From Edmonton) gave me some pointers to get started with. So I would like to see what other input the Community would love to offer.

Lathe of choice.
I picked this because its inexpensive recieve good reviews and its HUGE!!
http://www.amazon.com/ELECTRIC-WOOD-LATHE-TABLE-INDUSTRIAL/dp/B001OBTQUO/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t

Tool set. Alex Said this was similar to his set just smaller
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2004434/16048/5-Piece-Mini-Turning-Tool-Set.aspx

Blanks
Right now I'm confused on what I would want to buy.
I know Pepper Mill Planks are the Ideal blanks to look into, but what wood is good for dama's. 
Do I want to age my blanks yes no??

Turning Advice
Coming from no turning knowledge Alex recommended book on beginner wood turning.
Also would love to know if there is some good Online resources.(I've searched receiving ExpertVillage results :p)

Paint we can get into to that too. Mat, Gloss, Satin. Probably based off personal choice but what do you think is a good finish for Kendama you expect to landed every trick.

No one really talks about dimension for obvious reasons. If you want to share you measurements feel free.

Edit: Also what Lathe center do you use. If that the right name.

THIS THREADS OPEN TO ANY TYPE OF ADVICE NOT JUST FOR ME BUT ANYONE ELSE WHO ATTEMPTING THIS.
If you also have a question about turning Kens and would like it answer for you feel free to post it up in my Thread.

-Averie

The Void

I don't know anything about turning, but I can tell you that beech wood is usually the preferred choice, but cherry and birch have also been used in production models. But as Alex has shown, there's no need to restrict yourself to the ordinary choices!
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!