News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Whats the deal with deathray?

Started by BrandonYoder, 12 February, 2013, 14:59:52

Previous topic - Next topic

DeathRay Damas?

Awesome
0 (0%)
Want
3 (33.3%)
No Thanks
5 (55.6%)
Gimmick
2 (22.2%)
Speedboat.
3 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 9

BrandonYoder

subject says it all...
Whats the deal with deathray?
Just seams like a super cheesy, gothic style kendama that slipknot and deathclock would enjoy to me.
am i missing something about this brand?

BrandonYoder

I understand that they are made of a durable resin of some kind?
Is this in any way better than conventional wood?

The Void

Quote from: BrandonYoder on 12 February, 2013, 14:59:52Whats the deal with deathray?
Just seams like a super cheesy, gothic style kendama that slipknot and deathclock would enjoy to me.
Well, that made me chuckle. My experience is limited to about 2 minutes of playing with one. The ball had a moulding mark which didn't endear it to me, and it didn't feel particularly nice to my hands. Perhaps they've improved since then (a couple of years ago). Yes, I believe it's made of (some form of) resin.
I was amused by the "Fugen" name tho'....
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

BrandonYoder

Quote from: The Void on 12 February, 2013, 15:06:05
I was amused by the "Fugen" name tho'....
Fugen? haha. Is this the name of there kendama?

on a side note...if there is anyone on here who likes death ray...i believe they just realized a new dama for like $30
It may have been up for a while for all i know, but i just noticed today

Klackkendamas

hey Brandon, i just picked one up about a week ago, ill let you know how it plays. This is Teamvivivi from instagram btw.

AlexSmith

Be very wary, I've heard more than a couple of stories of frustration in dealing with Deathray from people in the dama community.

RodDama

a friend of mine has a couple... they're very interesting kendamas... heavier than you'd think.. and stickier than you'd think.. very interesting... lol
-RodDama!

www.terrakendama.com

Klackkendamas

well i still have yet to receive my deathray kendama, i wrote them... with no response.. i dont know whats up.. since then i have ordered from sweets, dealwithit, and someone on ebay, and have received all of it... so i know it should be here by now... so far im not very impressed!

br4d24

i dunno.... everything about this company screams gimmic to me. They take kendama, a natural beautiful thing (like trees) and try to... change it. Just my opinion, but its not working through my eyes.

SamB

I have one. Mine is a red "fugen". It is made from some kind of resin moulded around an around an oak core. The cups are painted with some sticky rubbery stuff and the tama I think is just one piece of resin with glitter embeded. It isn't perfect, there is a mark across the ball from the mould and a bubble by the spike. However despite the cosmetic issues it is a fun thing to have. It is really heavy, like way heavier than any other ken I have played and the sticky stuff on the cups makes it ridiculously sticky, the ken just glues onto the tama. This is good if you want sticky but I'm not really a huge fan of that, I like the ken to slide a little. There is no grip on the sides of the cups though so birds/ bats/ stilts are  practically impossible.

It does look cool though and it is fun to play with. But, like the Yumu or 5-cups or the big or small kendamas it is still a gimmick and while it's fun I'll always go back to playing with a good ol' wooden competition size..

I'll post some photos later so this makes a little more sense.
BKO 2011 - 2nd, SRC 2011 - 2nd,  SRC 2012 - 2nd, EJC 2012 (unicorns) - 2nd, SRC 2013 - 2nd, BKO 2013 - 3rd - Always the bridesmaid...

SamB

My Deathray Fugen which I've had (and played with) for almost a year.

You can see the oak core on the spike as well as the bubble in the resin. Also in the cup there is the grippy stuff that makes it sticky and the fact the cup edges are not painted makes birds impossible. The tama has a gold hole and there is Japanese characters which are raised out in the cups and around the hole on the tama which is pretty cool.

Up close you can see the scar on the tama which runs all the way around. It doesn't affect play and is more a cometic imperfection, the glitter does get on your fingers though.

On the scales it comes in at a heavy 211g, 70g heavier than your average Ozora.

The seals around the base though are pretty rad. Like I say it isn't perfect and is a bit gimmicky but it is pretty cool looking and fun to play with.
BKO 2011 - 2nd, SRC 2011 - 2nd,  SRC 2012 - 2nd, EJC 2012 (unicorns) - 2nd, SRC 2013 - 2nd, BKO 2013 - 3rd - Always the bridesmaid...

BrandonYoder

i forgot about this post, and wow it got more replies than i thought it would get.
Thanks for all the input.such a helpful community here...

@viv ha whats up dude? sorry to hear things arnt going as hopes...let us know when or if things get worked out.
oh and, welcome to the forums btw!

BrandonYoder

@br4d24 yeah.seems much like a gimic to me as well.
And
@SamB Thanks for all the info and pics. That is actually a pretty awesome looking kendama...but i dont think i have any REAL interest in getting my hands on a dethray any time soon.

I think ill continue my search for a used Mugen ken for my Gloken tamas. haha

br4d24

you can tell the ken is made of real wood, from the pics you can see the grain (or maybe its moulded like that?)

But yeah... i dunno, that one you have is the nicest one ive seen. But in the end its still meh... something about painted kens turns me off so much. I think a huge part of my love for kendama is the fact that its so earthy and organic - basically playing with pieces of wood. When you add plastic i get turned off i guess... but that is coming from a guy who tends to go for the paint jobs/stains that show the woodgrain underneath vs solid colours.

BrandonYoder

Quote from: br4d24 on 08 March, 2013, 02:30:08
you can tell the ken is made of real wood, from the pics you can see the grain (or maybe its moulded like that?)

But yeah... i dunno, that one you have is the nicest one ive seen. But in the end its still meh... something about painted kens turns me off so much. I think a huge part of my love for kendama is the fact that its so earthy and organic - basically playing with pieces of wood. When you add plastic i get turned off i guess... but that is coming from a guy who tends to go for the paint jobs/stains that show the woodgrain underneath vs solid colours.

I am the same way, i'm a woodworker so i really get turned away by painted kens. I rarely even buy kendamas anymore...when i am craving something new its off to my lumber supplier to see what special pieces they held for me. I am actually turned off by even stained wood.