News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Swirls

Started by Dave, 07 September, 2011, 18:56:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Im not sure if this is called something else but i came up with an interesting suicide variation. I've been trying to implement a diabolo integral into kendama and this is what i came up with:

Swirls - juggling videos hosted @ Juggling.tv
BALL AND CUP!

Harrydh3

i really enjoyed that. i'Ve never seen one of those before!

Looby

My my...looking good matey, reckon you need to try a stairwalk fan style variation.  now that would be something else.

had a crazy couple of weeks with work so should be a bit more active from now on.

The Void

Lovely! Featured on JTV.

In yo-yoing, to pinch the string half way, and then swing the yo-yo in a circle is called a Pinwheel (See 2m07 in [noembed]
School ← Please go to JTV for HD/download[/noembed]
), but you're doing something more/different, so yeah, Swirls it is!

But that last one has a Fast Throw Lighthouse exit.

Great to see new ideas coming out though. Cool beans, mister!
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

AlexSmith

Whooooooooa! :O : O
That is really really awesome. Is the string sliding around your finger? I'm assuming its not wrapping up since you can do 3(+?) in a row. I also noticed you kind of throw the Ken/tama into the spin?
A while ago I came up with a trick that was similar to this, but simpler and much less amazing looking. I'm going to be practicing this all day tomorrow until I figure it out. Great work!

GbH

Is that actually any different to the extended spin I do at the end of More Kendama Variations?  Because it's done so quickly, it's kinda hard to see.

The Void

Correct me if I'm wrong (either of you), but I believe Guy's trick is akin to a devil stick propellor, in that it's his finger that is driving the rotation, and the kendama string is more-or-less straight throughout, whereas Dave's Swirls has the string wrapped completely around one finger, and it is the momentum of the thrown ken/dama that drives the move, with the wrap staying in place until the exit. (Note how Dave shoves his elbow forwards slightly in each move, thus allowing the wrap to be undone underneath his arm).

That's how it looks to me.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

Dave

Voids got it spot on. Each "swirl" is a wrap then by catching the other part of the ken unwraps itself. If it's ok with void we could do a little tutorial at Bristol no1?

Dave
BALL AND CUP!

The Void

Why on earth would it not be okay with me? Of course, I'll look forward to it.

SamB

I just got the hang of the swirl part over the last few days but the exits are pretty tricky. This is a super fun trick to do though especially infinitely.

I found they are possible in the horizontal too but they are also far more dangerous and the exits even trickier. I wouldn't advise trying near anything (or anyone) breakable!

BKO 2011 - 2nd, SRC 2011 - 2nd,  SRC 2012 - 2nd, EJC 2012 (unicorns) - 2nd, SRC 2013 - 2nd, BKO 2013 - 3rd - Always the bridesmaid...

kendamatty

This seems amazing, a real crowd pleaser!

Ill have a bash if I can learn them, but Ill be seeing you at bristol most likely with my tail between my legs asking for a wee tutorial haha. looks brilliant though!  :D

AlexSmith

I wish I could get an in person tutorial haha. The exit is the trickiest part by far. I've only landed a couple to date. Love this trick, it legit has all my friends talking

Dave

so due to many reasons i could not attend bristol :( it sucks are you coming to the SRC?
BALL AND CUP!

kendamatty

I'm coming to the SRC yep, just a 3 hour jaunt across the country but should be a giggle, see you there! (I'm not sure how practiced ill be at these swirls haha, found a new trick to keep myself interested instead....)

Cand1ez

the exit is very similar to a few yoyo moves so i got it.  i dont have problems with the swirls.  its my space walks that need work.